Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time To Dip In The Minors

Time To Dip In The Minors

Ready or not the season is going down the tubes and even though Guardado isn't ready, there are other players that need to be called up:

1. Gary Majewski.
    At this point he is a better option than Todd Coffey.

2. Bill Bray
    If he is throwing batting practice, that is better than what Mike Stanton has been serving up.

3. Homer Bailey
    Enough of the Livingston's and Milton's of the world. What he has to work on at Louisville can be done at the majors and still do a better job than Milton.

4. Marcus McBeth
    Can't be any worse than Saarloos who has his meltdowns at critical times during the game.

5. Brad Salmon
    The guy deserves to be recalled. One home run allow is nothing compared to what the others in the bullpen has done.

There is still time left in the season but Krivsky needs to act now by calling these guys up.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time To Dip In The Minors

Majewski hasn't pitched since May 1st
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    1. Gary Majewski.
    Majewski at best is a marginal reliever. Coffey had a good year last season and has showed improvement in his location during the last few appearances. I highly doubt Majewski represents any kind of upgrade over Coffey. The Reds would probably be worse off with this move.

2. Bill Bray
    If he is throwing batting practice, that is better than what Mike Stanton has been serving up.
    Bray will be here when he's ready. If he's not properly ready, then he wont fare any better than Stanton. Remember, his ST was pretty limited, so expecting him to pitch well right out of the gate is unfair. He needs time to rehab. The object should be to get Bray pitching effectively at some point. Throwing batting practice wont accomplish this.

3. Homer Bailey
    Enough of the Livingston's and Milton's of the world. What he has to work on at Louisville can be done at the majors and still do a better job than Milton.
    Homer Bailey has had some serious control problems so far and his K rate has not been up to par with his stuff. These signs lead to Bailey overachieving with his current stats and not being ready for the majors. AT this point, Livingston is better equipped to handle the big leagues, plus we aren't risking Bailey getting shell shocked. He needs to start dominating in AAA before we think about bringing him up, otherwise more harm than good will be done to Bailey's development, and the current team.

4. Marcus McBeth
    Can't be any worse than Saarloos who has his meltdowns at critical times during the game.
    Again, we are talking about a guy with lots of promise, but he has yet to dominate AAA yet. HIs ERA looks great, but that is a little misleading over the 17 inning sample size. He's pretty close, but his control still needs some work otherwise he wont get by at the major league level enough to be an asset. At this point, it's very possible that Saarloos is a better major league pitcher right now. It's best to let the talented young guys pitch really well at AAA before exposing them to the majors to ensure that they can be helpful.

5. Brad Salmon
    The guy deserves to be recalled. One home run allow is nothing compared to what the others in the bullpen has done.
    Someone needs to be placed on the DL for him to come back up. IMO, his control was extremely poor at the major league level. He has an interesting arm and I'd like to see him given an extended chance, but I think there is a very good chance that he gets lit up in the majors at this point.

As a whole, this team needs bullpen help, and IMO, the system doesn't hold the answers. The current bullpen crop is full of middling guys, and the younger ones at this point in their career don't look to be upgrades. It's best to let them develop and show that they are ready otherwise the bullpen may actually get worse, and in addition stunt the development of the future. For the bullpen to improve, Krivsky needs to find help from outside the organiztion, because we don't have the arms in the system to make improvements.

Coffey couldn't locate a pitch to save his life. Ross set up far inside on a RH hitter today and Coffey throws it in the dirt low and away and no catcher could get that one. He's just a liability right now. Unless he pulls a miracle he won't ever be more than mop up.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I want a bullpen overhaul. Lose the rag arms like Stanton, Santos, and maybe even Saarloos. I'm tired of watching us coddle minor league relievers like they're high school starters. Bring on Medlock, Salmon, and McBeth.

1. Gary Majewski.
    At this point anyone is really a better option than Coffey, the problem is after watching Majewski I think the same could be said about him.

2. Bill Bray
    Just because he is throwing batting practice doesn't mean he should get called up. Like Coffey anything is better than Stanton right now but what is the point in putting a kid that is still recovering in a position to hurt himself more.

3. Homer Bailey
    Although a lot of people don't like to admit it Milton has actually pitched pretty well for being a #5 starter. If you forget about how much money he is being paid he is as good as any other 5th starter in the league. I know it seems odd but Milton has been the least of the Reds pitching problems this year. Homer isn't ready yet anyway, I don't really think he would give you much more than what Milton was at this point.

4. Marcus McBeth
    I don't know much about McBeth but it is never a good sign when the reason for bringing him up is he can't be much worse than...

5. Brad Salmon
    He has options plain and simple.

There is still time left in the season but Krivsky needs to act now by calling these guys up.
    I have to disagree with you here, this team is done they don't have what it takes to get back in it.

I'd like to see a pen like this at some point (it'll probably be mid-June before all are ready) and evaluate from there:

Weathers (CL for now)
    Bray (L)
    Coutlangus (L)
    McBeth (R)
    Salmon (R)
    Coffey (R)
    Burton (R)

This requires eating or trading Stanton and Saarloos and cutting loose Santos. Hopefully Guardado comes back, puts in a couple decent weeks and can be flipped for a prospect (or kept at the closer spot and Weathers flipped).

I let these young guys pitch and see who emerges. Some will step up and others will prove to be fodder. Backing up the ones who fail and ultimately receiving a turn at a shot should be:

Majewski (R)
    Medlock (R)
    Gosling (L)
    Kershner (L)
    Pelland (L)
    Guevara (R)

I wouldn't veer from this plan unless a high heat, high upside guy is acquired in the roster purge that could occur this summer. Obviously if the Reds acquire a young up-and-coming stud along the lines of a Broxton or a Zumaya the plan would change a little, but I wouldn't bother with soft tossing vets right now. See who can be counted on for 2008 and beyond and fill in with a vet or two (no more though or we'll be right back to the roster clutter situation we have now) in the off-season.

If no high powered stud emerges and if the other minor league starter candidates continue to look good, I'd consider bumping Cueto to AA in the closer role in 2008 with the idea of him being the potential back-end hammer at some point.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

With Krivsky joining the Reds for this West Coast trip, something could be going down.

You want a name? How about Brad Lidge?

I could see a Lidge/Ensberg for Encarncion/? going down.

I believe this team will do a serious shakeup after the West Coast trip and acquiring a bonafide closer like Lidge (even Guardado will get enough save opportunities when he is ready) will allow Weathers to assume a setup role.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Ready or not the season is going down the tubes and even though Guardado isn't ready, there are other players that need to be called up:

1. Gary Majewski.

2. Bill Bray

3. Homer Bailey

4. Marcus McBeth

5. Brad Salmon

Zero reason to start his arbitration clock.

Wait for Opening Day 2008.

This season was over during the offseason. We were a 72 win ballclub then, we'll be lucky to be a 72 win ballclub now.

This team is not one or two players away from being good, more like 7 or 8 and there is not that much talent beating the door down from the minors.
    Go Gators!

I'm tired of watching us coddle minor league relievers like they're high school starters.
    huh? I'm honestly curious what you mean....High School starters tend to get ridden like ponies at the county fair. The reds have been fairly notorios for the last 5-7 years for not giving their minor league relief pitchers any serious consideration for a job with the big club at all and for the most part, that's been the right thing to do.

Booker, Shackelford, Simpson, Standridge, Valentine, Bong....They've not been coddled to protect them, they have not got regular work because they've been terrible.

Coffey the closest thing they have to a minor leaguer who has successfully integrated into the big leagues. I guess there is Coutlangus, but the notion that this team has coddled young arms in the past....well that seems strange to me.

I'm also curious...I read reports this weekend that the broken finger that has kept Bill Bray inactive is on his non-pitching hand. huh? A hairline fracture on his non-pitching hand and that keeps him from even throwing off a mound against live hitters?

Is that right?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Please no more Salmon!

There is always an easy solution like pulling guys from the minors to replace ineffective players on your major league team. Well, until it turns out that those minor league players aren't really a solution, but just another problem.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

With Krivsky joining the Reds for this West Coast trip, something could be going down.

You want a name? How about Brad Lidge?

I believe this team will do a serious shakeup after the West Coast trip and acquiring a bonafide closer like Lidge (even Guardado will get enough save opportunities when he is ready) will allow Weathers to assume a setup role.
    What correlation is there between Krivsky being next to the Pacific Ocean and two Houston players?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Lidge and Ensberg make about 10 million. Encarnacion makes about 1/2 million. I doubt that the Reds are going to take on that much in salary. Maybe Milton gets thrown in to even up the money side of the things.

In late April the Astros might have been looking to move Lidge but I no longer think that is the case. Brad has been pretty much 'lights out' his last dozen trips to the mound. Why would they move him now?

Turn Off Ads?