Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What would a fire sale do for you?

What would a fire sale do for you?

If someone like Griffey, Dunn, Hatteberg, Stanton, Valentine, Weathers, or Freel got traded, what would it mean to the big time minor league/farm system followers?

I know some of those names wouldn't yield much, if anything. But if they could get a prospect for a few of these guys come July, I think it would be pretty exciting.

The casual baseball fan really doesn't understand, or like, a fire sale, or quasi fire sale. But for fans that follow the system, the way many of us do, I think it can be a very exciting time.

Don't even consider if it is likely to trade any of these guys because my only question is:

What would you feel if we got some prospects in return?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: What would a fire sale do for you?

If Griffey were traded I probably wouldn't watch any Reds baseball for a few weeks.

If the Reds got prospects back in return for anyone, it would just all depend on the prospects.

I think that, for this team to become a legitimate playoff contender within 5 years, a fire sale is the only way.

I wouldn't mind a fire sale at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I wouldn't mind a fire sale at all.

trouble is when fire sale is known the other clubs will come for Dunn, Harang, Phillips, EE, and Arroyo.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

The sooner the better imho. Talented youth at all positions. Keep Hamilton, Bruce, Bailey, Votto, Phillips, Harang, Arroyo and maybe Griffey if he'll resign next year for cheap so we can watch him break 600 then maybe 660 and Mays. Let teams know that they can have Dunn, Lohse, Gonzalez, Hatteburg, Conine and the rest. We'd probably only get a decent return out of Dunn but anything for the rest will be better than watching them age/get worse. I think that we might be able to get a young catcher and some bullpen help. If we can do that then I'm happy with the three returning starters + Bailey and 1 more, Hamilton, Griffey, Freel and Hopper in the O field w/ Bruce on the way, Votto at 1st, Phillips at 2nd, probably stuck with Gonzalez at SS and hopefully an improved EE at 3rd. THat's a young team with a few key vets (Jr, Harang, Arroyo) that can lead this team to RESPECTABILITY.

What would a fire sale do for me?

Tell me that REDSZONE, I mean, the inmates are running the assylum.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I would be okay with a firesale, as long as we get alot of talent that is close to the majors

List:
    1) Adam Dunn (replacement this year: Hopper?)
    Will fetch more than anyone else, would love to get Broxton/Ethier or maybe a different form of Dodger prospects

2) Eric Milton (replacement this year: Livingston)
    pay his entire salary if needed; think former ace potential pitchers that are one year removed from surgery/former pitchers turned into hitters/former hitters turning into pitchers

3) Ryan Freel (replacement: EdE)
    Make someone overpay for his hustle and scrappiness. On the surface you wouldn't think he would get anything decent in return, but his overall value could be alot to certain ball clubs.

4) Scott Hatteberg (Joey Votto)
    He is a nice, cheap, stopgap 1B with good OB skills. Hopefully he will land something nice, but I wouldn't count on it.

5) Jeff Conine (Joey Votto)
    Doubtful that we could get anything for him, but who knows.

6) Ken Griffey Jr. (Hopper?)
    He doesn't have a whole lot of money left on his contract so if we sent him with some money, then we might get something for him.

7) Bronson Arroyo (Saarloos?)
    Has a cheap contract that ends at the end of next year (i think). Doubt that he resigns, especially for an amount even close to what he is making now. He's also a big part of our rotation, and we would need some good prospects in return.

8) Alex Gonzalez (Keppinger (BP to SS)
    His power numbers are going to be higher than normal here at GABP, so maybe with that and his spectacular defense - a team might want to improve their D for the long haul of a season.

9) Aaron Harang (Homer Bailey)
    I want alot for Aaron. Alot. Probably want too much, but if they will shell out the top prospects, then go for it.

10) David Weathers (McBeth)
    He might be our only decent pitcher in the bullpen, but there are alot of other bad bullpens as well.

11) Mike Stanton
    Only, I don't really think its realistic to trade him. Maybe though...

12) Kyle Lohse
    Where are you at JimBo? A few teams might need a serviceable back end of the rotation.

* note: I wouldn't trade some of these guys, just throwing out the idea and what we might get in return for them

Senor Votto

I'd be pretty damn mad if they traded Griffey or Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    7) Bronson Arroyo (Saarloos?)
    Has a cheap contract that ends at the end of next year (i think). Doubt that he resigns, especially for an amount even close to what he is making now. He's also a big part of our rotation, and we would need some good prospects in return.

Arroyo signed through 10 and 11 team option. We've got him 3 and 3/4 seasons more at least anyways. He is part of the solution and not the problem. And at about 6 mill next year (with bonus) and 10-11 mill the following 2 years he is still relatively cheap for the kind of talent/results that he brings. To ever contend we'll need three real good starters (Harang, Arroyo and hopefully Bailey) and about 3 more guys that can get 5-10 wins per year. I think that we have the starting pitching. No sense in having to hope to develop more than we already have to. We'll need 2 new starters nex year and hopefully Bailey is one but we wouldn't wan to need to find 3 new starters next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    trouble is when fire sale is known the other clubs will come for Dunn, Harang, Phillips, EE, and Arroyo.
    Depending on the return, that's ok.

I want them to hang on to Dunn, but I would trade Griffey if the Reds can get some top prospects. I would also deal Hatteberg, Conine, Weathers, Stanton (if anyone wants him), Gonzalez, and Lohse.

I would hang on to Dunn, Hamilton, Harang, and Arroyo.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    If someone like Griffey, Dunn, Hatteberg, Stanton, Valentine, Weathers, or Freel got traded, what would it mean to the big time minor league/farm system followers?

I know some of those names wouldn't yield much, if anything. But if they could get a prospect for a few of these guys come July, I think it would be pretty exciting.

The casual baseball fan really doesn't understand, or like, a fire sale, or quasi fire sale. But for fans that follow the system, the way many of us do, I think it can be a very exciting time.

Don't even consider if it is likely to trade any of these guys because my only question is:

What would you feel if we got some prospects in return?

If Stanton got traded, Wayne's a genuis

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    If Stanton got traded, Wayne's a genuis
    The Marlins just traded Jorge Julio. Go look at Julio's stats this year, I think his ERA is like 15.

Anything's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

If Griffey keeps hitting well he'll be moved. If the Reds pay the deferred money, he could actually be at a good price through 2009.

My bet is he is traded to Atlanta. He has 10/5 rights now, but when his no-trade clause was limited, Atlanta was one of the teams on his short list that he would accept a trade to.

Griffey, Weathers, maybe Lohse (could go to Atlanta too). Those are the guys I see being traded this Summer. Hope for a good catching prospect and some power arms for the bullpen.

Turn Off Ads?