Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers stage fake gunman attack on sixth-graders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Teachers stage fake gunman attack on sixth-graders

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/05...ked.attack.ap/

MURFREESBORO, Tennessee (AP) -- Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged. (Watch student recount incident, mother react Video)

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.

During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on a locked door.

After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out."

Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation "involved poor judgment."
    Ya think?

Re: Teachers stage fake gunman attack on sixth-graders

what a bunch of idiots
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Wow, and wow. So many things wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin.

My wife is employed with a private school here in the D.C. area. Recently, they staged a "Code Blue" exercise, which is the term for when someone gains access to campus/school building who should not otherwise be there.

The exercise was conducted on a professional's work day when the students were not in. The faculty and staff were aware that an exercise would be conducted in advance. The school, in fact, has a policy AGAINST staging any mock drills such as this while students are present--although the standard fire/tornado drills persist. Under no circumstances would the school administration lie to children and make them believe their lives were at risk--replete with a hooded "gunman", no less.

This has lawsuit written all over it, and the parents are rightly outraged. The leadership at the school should be dismissed over this.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    what a bunch of idiots
    Two words: Murfreesboro and Tennessee.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Two words: Murfreesboro and Tennessee.
    And what, exactly, is that supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    And what, exactly, is that supposed to mean?
    It means I used to live in Nashville. Always fun to level a little humor at those from down I-24. And at those who live in K-ville.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

It means I used to live in Nashville. Always fun to level a little humor at those from down I-24. And at those who live in K-ville.
    Dabvu, you make some really good posts and you nearly always mean well with what you post. I'm just not sure this was the appropriate post to joke at a very serious situation.

Hope you're not offended by me posting this.

That's cool. I was up a good bit of the night helping to deliver a lamb, so I was a bit cranky earlier. I thought that you might be one of those folks who see "Tennessee" and immediately think "Deliverance."

As for the subject, it is incomprehensible to think that anyone, let alone several someones, thought that this was a good idea.

If I were to make a list of Top 10 Really Bad Ideas, this would be in the top 3.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

There is absolutely nothing they can do to rectify this. Even if they fired the teachers involved the damage is already done to those kids.

I feel ill. I could not imagine being one of them thinking I was about to die.

This is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If I were to make a list of Top 10 Really Bad Ideas, this would be in the top 3.
    If I was to make a list of only Top One Really Bad Idea, this would be it. Amazingly stupid.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If I was to make a list of only Top One Really Bad Idea, this would be it. Amazingly stupid.

Well, Puffy's "do-it-yourself root canal" kit wasn't exactly the best idea either.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Well, Puffy's "do-it-yourself root canal" kit wasn't exactly the best idea either.

I still maintain that you get some really neat craft ideas at the Civil War Dental Surgery Museum in Richmond, Virginia.

Anyone need a necklace made out of bone?
    School's out. What did you expect?

What brainiac came up with this idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

My son went to the zoo recently and his class put on a recorder concert. My daugther's looking forward to Field Day and was in a play.

They do a lot of reading, math, social studies and science too.

But are they getting enough mortal terror? I think not.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?