Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Griffey named NL Player of the Week

Griffey named NL Player of the Week

First Player of the Week Award for Griffey in almost 9 years according to the team press notes, and second Red to win the honor this year after Alex Gonzalez. Griffey hit .400 for the week with 3 HR and 9 RBI.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey named NL Player of the Week

Griffey's been a lot of fun to watch this year (at the plate, anyway). Glad to hear he won.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Griffey's been a lot of fun to watch this year (at the plate, anyway). Glad to hear he won.
    Yeah, his breaks on the ball seem off this year. I know he can't run many down but his first step was usually wrong on Friday in LA.

He really is the only reason to watch this team lately.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

I thought he'd won player of the week with the Reds before. Maybe that was player of the month.

I hope he keeps it up, so even if he's traded at the deadline we'll at least have gotten to see him in the All Star game one last time.

Congrats Jr.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Pinch Hits

I was at the game last Thursday against the Stros and saw #569, it was a shot. He's making great contact and hasn't slowed from then. What a week. I think he's finally healthy (as he knocks on wood!) Congrats Jr!!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Congrats to Junior- a silver lining in last weeks cloud.

Congratulations, Junior.

"The lefty slugger hit .400 (10-25), posted a slugging percentage of .760 and recorded an on-base percentage of .484. His nine RBI paced the National League and his three homers were tied atop the N.L. On Sunday, Griffey hit his 570th career home run against the Dodgers, moving him into sole possession of ninth place on the all-time home run list. The blast put Junior three behind Harmon Killebrew for eighth place.

Other nominees this past week included his Reds teammates Adam Dunn (.381, 3 HR, 6 RBI) and Brandon Phillips (.355, 6 R); Atlanta's Jeff Francouer (.357, 3 RBI) and Willie Harris (.474, 4 2B, 3 RBI); Paul Lo Duca (.389, 7 H, 3 R) of the Mets; Philadelphia's Abraham Nunez (.455, 3 2B, 3 RBI) and Chase Utley (.318, 2 HR, 5 RBI); Brian Schneider (.421, 1 2B, 1 RBI) of the Nationals; Chicago's Jason Marquis (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 CG); Lance Berkman (.320, 3 HR, 6 RBI), Carlos Lee (.393, 2 HR, 6 RBI), Luke Scott (.333, 2 HR, 7 RBI) and Roy Oswalt (2-0, 3.46 ERA, 12 SO) of the Astros; Milwaukee's J.J. Hardy (.667 SLG, 3 HR, 8 RBI); Jason Bay (.417, 5 RBI) of the Pirates; Cardinals righthander Braden Looper (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 7 SO); Arizona's Chris Young (.522, 2 HR, 4 RBI) and Brandon Webb (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 10 SO); Colorado's Matt Holliday (.318, 3 HR, 5 RBI); Juan Pierre (.323, 10 H, 3 SB), Brad Penny (2-0, 0.68 ERA, 18 SO) and Randy Wolf (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 11 SO) of the Dodgers; San Diego's Brian Giles (.370, 2 2B) and Jake Peavy (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 10 SO); and San Francisco's Fred Lewis (.500, 1 HR, 7 RBI)."

Tourneau, the world's largest watch store, has supplied a luxury Swiss Tourneau timepiece in recognition of the achievements of the player of the week, Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 05-14-2007 at 04:26 PM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I thought he'd won player of the week with the Reds before. Maybe that was player of the month.

I hope he keeps it up, so even if he's traded at the deadline we'll at least have gotten to see him in the All Star game one last time.
    I think he was player of the month May 2005.

....but I'm wrong (looked it up).
    Last edited by oneupper; 05-14-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: My memory is bad.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

How ridiculous is it that we had three nominees this week and still had the horrible record we did? All three were deserving, I'm just pointing out how bad the other players were.

Congrats to Junior and well deserved. I don't think he looked this good at the plate even during his first season as a Red. One of the few bright spots so far this season.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    How ridiculous is it that we had three nominees this week and still had the horrible record we did? All three were deserving, I'm just pointing out how bad the other players were.
    Pitchers, you mean.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?