Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tidbits From Josh Katzowitz (By way of Trent's Blog)

Tidbits From Josh Katzowitz (By way of Trent's Blog)

While Trent sleeps on the West Coast or travels to San Diego or does whatever he does while nobody is looking, I'm at Louisville Slugger Field to take in the final game of the Bats' homestand as they face the Syracuse Chiefs.

Really, I'm here for three stories: Edwin Encarnacion, Gary Majewski and Homer Bailey. It was an 11:05 a.m. start, because they have these education days where they load the stands with students on field trips (man, when I was in school, I would have loved to take a field trip to the ballpark), so I got here early to talk to some people.

Grabbed Majewski, and he seemed OK considering the year he's had (his sister dying recently, injuries in spring training). I asked him if he was looking forward to playing for the Reds as a healthy pitcher, and he had an interesting quote that I'll share.

"If I go up there and do half of what I did (in 2005 when he was with Washington), then I'd be happy ... and shove it up everybody's ass."

That last part kind of came out of nowhere, but you've gotta love Majewski.

Also talked to Encarnacion, and he said he was just working hard and trying to stay positive. My man, C.L. Brown of the Louisville Courier-Journal, told me Encarnacion made two errors in yesterday's game (one throwing, one fielding), so that's not good. But Encarnacion also said he'd been sent down to work on his swing, not necessarily on his defense. Bats manager Rick Sweet, though, said that Encarnacion's defense needed to improve as well.

Unfortunately for me, Encarnacion did not start today.

Haven't talked to Homer yet, so I'll try to get him and Chad Moeller after the game.

Blast from the past: Ray Olmedo is playing shortstop today for the Chiefs.

UPDATE (2:38 p.m.): I talked to Homer and asked him if he thought staying in Class AAA and continuing with the seasoning process was a good thing for him, or if he was anxious to come up to the big leagues.

ďI havenít even thought about it," Bailey said. "The best thing I can do every time I step out here is to try to get better every day. I have to put my trust in Wayne and Jerry. When the move is made, itís going to be the right move. They definitely know what they're doing, and they understand how everything is going. I donít think theyíre in any panic to rush anything. Iím as excited to get there as anybody else to see how I compete with those kind of players."

Also talked to Chad Moeller - who had a big two-home run day - and he agreed. Bailey has the stuff, he said, but he needs more work in becoming a major-league ready pitcher.

By the way, I enjoy a good, hearty handshake as much as the next guy - and I pride myself on my own strong grip - but damn, with Homer, it feels like he's trying to squeeze the blood out of your hands. It's like you're hanging off a cliff, and he's damn sure not going to let go. Interesting. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I guess it's better than the limp-handshake thing.
    -Trent's blog.

Interesting that EE was sent down to work on his swing, not his D. I think he'll be back very soon.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-14-2007 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Re: Tidbits From Trent

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    -Trent's blog.

Interesting that EE was sent down to work on his swing, not his D. I think he'll be back very soon.
    How do you work on anything when you are riding the pine? I am curious as to why EdE was not in the lineup on Monday.

Here's some other stuff that Josh Katzowitz, by way of Trent's blog.

Talked to manager Rick Sweet, and he said Bailey has been throwing a good curveball and that his changeup has been better. Said he was pleasantly surprised that Homer was receptive to working on those other pitches. Thought it might be a tougher sell.

Said Sweet: "Nobody's fastball is that good. You have to have a second pitch. His curveball is pretty good, and his changeup has gotten better. That's his third pitch, and he's throwing more quality changeups than he was when he first got here."

Sweet also said he had to improve his strikeout-to-walk ratio.

Believe me, Sweet does not think the Reds would do themselves any favors by calling up Bailey right now. Said he still has a lot to learn.
    Scott, Sweet also said Eddie needed to work on his footwork.
    I saw the pitching lineup for the next couple days in the clubhouse, but I forgot it. Based on when they started last, I'd say:

Phil Dumatrait, Tuesday
    Tom Shearn, Wednesday
    Homer Bailey, Thursday
    Bobby Livingston's spot, Friday
    Michael Gosling, Saturday
    Dumatrait, Sunday
    Shearn, Monday
    Bailey, Tuesday

Kyle,
    Encarnacion didn't seem bitter to me. He seems pretty positive. Of course, I only spent about five minutes with him today.
    He (Majewski) won't be active until tomorrow, when he's scheduled to pitch an inning.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    How do you work on anything when you are riding the pine? I am curious as to why EdE was not in the lineup on Monday.
    Good question. Who knows, it would have been nice if Josh would have asked Sweet that same question.

Re: Tidbits From Josh Katzowitz (By way of Trent's Blog)

Oh and for anyone that wants a good laugh, see what some of Trent's readers think of Edwin.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...e.asp#comments

Here's my favorites

at 5/14/2007 4:11 PM BATSFAN said...
    You want EE take him, and dont send him back. He dosent try here at all if you have been to the games he will not make a effort towards the ball. He did make one fine play to get a runner that Shackelford let get away, but other than that he does not try

at 5/14/2007 4:27 PM Cincy JR said...
    I agree..EE has no place on this team.

He is in perpetual funk...his whole attitude is a funk..

Why would any team want a guy who gives 70% on his best day? Yea, maybe he hits an occasional HR, but just having the cancer around the clubhouse kills your club..

I'd trade him for the first offer I heard..

Oh and for anyone that wants a good laugh, see what some of Trent's readers think of Edwin.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...e.asp#comments

Here's my favorites

the only things that i think are funny is EE's defense and batting average
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    Yeah, thats not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    Halarious.

Halarious.
    As was your post, reds44... I believe "hilarious" was the word you were looking for.
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

Turn Off Ads?