Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some unsung guys doing well

Some unsung guys doing well

Jay Garthwaite. James Avery. Rickey Stone. Rick Asadoorian. Ruben Medina. Justin Turner.

Take your shots.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Some unsung guys doing well

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Jay Garthwaite. James Avery. Rickey Stone. Rick Asadoorian. Ruben Medina. Justin Turner.

Take your shots.
    Ricky Stone? That guy is AAA fodder

Avery has seemingly improved the most, but doesn't strikeout to many batters

Asadoorian is interesting

Medina? Who is he?

Turner......................

Medina is 20 pitching at Sarasota with a 1.02 ERA in 17 relief innings, 18 Ks and 8 BBs. 5'11'' guy.

Stone hasn't succeeded in the majors as yet, but he is having a terrific season at AAA in relief.

Turner, I bet, plays in the major leagues someday as an infield back up. Good college career, seems to be a gamer.

I've been trying in a minor way to stir up interest in James Avery for a year. His second half stats last year were very close to LeCure's and this year he's pitching extremely well, with a 3-1 K to BB ratio, best among the Chatt. starters (not counting Fisher, who has only one start). Yet LeCure makes all the top ten lists and Avery can't even make the top 40. Avery is no longer a sleeper. He's well worth keeping an eye on. He, Fisher, and LeCure make an extremely interesting group at Chattanooga, all of them from the 2005 draft. Thank God for Dan O'Brien. Too bad too many didn't have the patience to stay the long term course he laid out. Soon, I'd guess, another O'Brien signee will join this group, Johnny Cueto. Camilo Vazquez, by the way, also deserves more attention than he's gotten. Of the 4 left-handers at AAA and AA with a shot--Dumatrait, Livingston, Pelland, Vazquez--he may yet turn out to be the best.

Turner is scrappy as all hell.

JN and WK love him I'm sure.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-14-2007 at 09:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Turner is Scrappy as all hell.

JN and WK love him I'm sure.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Fixed that for you.

Yeah, I actually meant to put scrappy.

Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Yet LeCure makes all the top ten lists and Avery can't even make the top 40.
    That's what you get with a K rate under 6, but I'm a little more encouraged by the fact that his numbers are holding up at AA.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I've been trying in a minor way to stir up interest in James Avery for a year. His second half stats last year were very close to LeCure's and this year he's pitching extremely well, with a 3-1 K to BB ratio, best among the Chatt. starters (not counting Fisher, who has only one start). Yet LeCure makes all the top ten lists and Avery can't even make the top 40. Avery is no longer a sleeper. He's well worth keeping an eye on. He, Fisher, and LeCure make an extremely interesting group at Chattanooga, all of them from the 2005 draft. Thank God for Dan O'Brien. Too bad too many didn't have the patience to stay the long term course he laid out. Soon, I'd guess, another O'Brien signee will join this group, Johnny Cueto. Camilo Vazquez, by the way, also deserves more attention than he's gotten. Of the 4 left-handers at AAA and AA with a shot--Dumatrait, Livingston, Pelland, Vazquez--he may yet turn out to be the best.
    How is "Sudden Sam LeCure" doing after his injury a few days ago?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Yeah, I actually meant to put scrappy.

Fixed.
    I figured as much.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Thank God for Dan O'Brien. Too bad too many didn't have the patience to stay the long term course he laid out. Soon, I'd guess, another O'Brien signee will join this group, Johnny Cueto. Camilo Vazquez, by the way, also deserves more attention than he's gotten. Of the 4 left-handers at AAA and AA with a shot--Dumatrait, Livingston, Pelland, Vazquez--he may yet turn out to be the best.

I think Dan O'Brien is a very good Minor League Director or scout but that doesn't make him a good GM. In fact he was a horrible GM. Nice to see that he did stock the Reds' minor leagues so at least his time here wasn't a complete waste.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Medina is 20 pitching at Sarasota with a 1.02 ERA in 17 relief innings, 18 Ks and 8 BBs. 5'11'' guy.

Stone hasn't succeeded in the majors as yet, but he is having a terrific season at AAA in relief.

Turner, I bet, plays in the major leagues someday as an infield back up. Good college career, seems to be a gamer.

Uh, Stone had a couple of solid seasons as an Astro in the early part of the decade. He didn't replicate that in Cincinnati, of course.

It looks like Turner is heating up. 3-4 today with a HR and is now hitting .360 in the month of May. I would bet that when Valaika gets moved up, Turner goes with him. They are a pretty good defensive duo and are putting up some pretty good numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed07 View Post
    It looks like Turner is heating up. 3-4 today with a HR and is now hitting .360 in the month of May. I would bet that when Valaika gets moved up, Turner goes with him. They are a pretty good defensive duo and are putting up some pretty good numbers.
    I bet Stubbs goes with him.

No doubt that Stubbs will going with them. He is really starting to put together some good at bats. His defense is second to none. I have not checked out the numbers of the SS,2B and CF in Sarasota. I think they might be looking over their shoulders.

Turn Off Ads?