Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Girardi anyone?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Joe Girardi anyone?

From a baseball source (Lance's source, not mine) on the thought of managing the Reds

"I not only believe he'd be interested in the job, but he would take it, if the money was right. He knows what that teams has, what's coming off the books in the next year or two money wise and what is coming up in their system. He would change that team. In the clubhouse it's Joe's way or the highway."

He added, "It's only tough to play for Joe, if you don't play the game the right way."

Before you go and rip Lance and his "baseball source," just remember who had the Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley to the booth news before anybody else...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Girardi anyone?

He's not Narron and wouldn't have been promoted from within. I'd be on board.

I'm not really a big fan of Girardi.....picture the volatility of Ozzie without half of the talent to make him look good...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'm not convinced the Reds will fire Narron anytime soon.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

I'm reminded of what a poster by the handle of ramp101 had to say about Girardi...

"Man, nobody liked Girardi last year on the Marlins save for 2 veterans. I don't remember a whole lot because I have blocked most of last year out but here is what I do remember. The no facial hair policy. You wouldn't think it was a big deal, but when atleast 15 players showed up to camp this year with facial hair, you knew what was up.

He had no idea how to run a bullpen and has no clue how to judge talent. This is the same manager who wanted Mike Jacobs to be in the minors and Josh Willingham behind homeplate. He wanted Josh Johnson to be in AA while retreads like Brian Moehler to get most of the starts in the 3rd spot in the rotation.

He talked back to his owner and told him to "f" himself. This is the same guy who routinely bunted with Dan Uggla (hitting 2nd in the order). The same Dan Uggla who set a rookie record with 27 homeruns at 2B. This is the same guy who routinely started Alfredo Amezaga in CF vs lefties, when his career OPS vs them is under .400.

I have never hated a manager so much in my life. And I had to deal with Jeff Torborg, so that's saying alot.

hope that helps"

Not exactly a ringing endoresment from someone who actually followed the Marlins last year.

Joe may have learned from his experience with the Marlins last year, I am leaning more towards Kelly being the guy just because of the Twins connection. I would imagine that Girardi or Kelly would want more $$$ than Narron makes currently.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Joe may have learned from his experience with the Marlins last year, I am leaning more towards Kelly being the guy just because of the Twins connection. I would imagine that Girardi or Kelly would want more $$$ than Narron makes currently.
    Any manager is going to want more money than Narron makes currently.

You get what you pay for....you want a better manager? You want a manger than can lead this team into the future (whomever that may be)? Pay up!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Everyone should read the opinion of RedsZone's favorite Marlins fan before they get too excited about Girardi. This grass isn't necessarily greener...
    /r/reds

If the Reds could get Tom Kelly on board that would be a great hire, he would absolutley set these guys straight and wouldnt put up with anyones stuff. Tom Kelly would be my first choice to replace Narron.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

You get what you pay for.

Jerry Narron
    Dave Miley
    Bob Boone
    Jack McKeon
    Ray Knight

Four of the Reds last five Managers will probably never Manage another MLB Team.

I don't know who should replace Narron but this organization has to avoid the mistakes of the past.

Terrific. Another ex-catcher. Seems to me that the best managers the Reds have had in the past 40 years have been middle infielders.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Terrific. Another ex-catcher. Seems to me that the best managers the Reds have had in the past 40 years have been middle infielders.
    Barry Larkin anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I'm reminded of what a poster by the handle of ramp101 had to say about Girardi...

"Man, nobody liked Girardi last year on the Marlins save for 2 veterans. I don't remember a whole lot because I have blocked most of last year out but here is what I do remember. The no facial hair policy. You wouldn't think it was a big deal, but when atleast 15 players showed up to camp this year with facial hair, you knew what was up.

He had no idea how to run a bullpen and has no clue how to judge talent. This is the same manager who wanted Mike Jacobs to be in the minors and Josh Willingham behind homeplate. He wanted Josh Johnson to be in AA while retreads like Brian Moehler to get most of the starts in the 3rd spot in the rotation.

He talked back to his owner and told him to "f" himself. This is the same guy who routinely bunted with Dan Uggla (hitting 2nd in the order). The same Dan Uggla who set a rookie record with 27 homeruns at 2B. This is the same guy who routinely started Alfredo Amezaga in CF vs lefties, when his career OPS vs them is under .400.

I have never hated a manager so much in my life. And I had to deal with Jeff Torborg, so that's saying alot.

hope that helps"

Not exactly a ringing endoresment from someone who actually followed the Marlins last year.
    1) I don't think it's a bad thing if players aren't warm and fuzzy over their manager.

2) Of course the rookies hated the no facial hair policy.

3) He can't handle a bullpen nearly as poorly as Narron.

4) His team improved the longer he was there. Narron's has gotten worse.

5) Loria is a goof and deserved to be told what he was told.

6) Along with his 27 HRs Uggla had 123 strikeouts. I can imagine instances where you would want to bunt him.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    Barry Larkin anyone?
    Not sure if Larkin should be in the dugout as long as Griffey is still here...

I'd love him in the organization, though.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Not sure if Larkin should be in the dugout as long as Griffey is still here...

I'd love him in the organization, though.
    Why? Because they are friends?

Turn Off Ads?