Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Daisuke Matsuzaka so far?

What do you think of Daisuke Matsuzaka so far?

Yea, I know there's been a hurricane of publicity about the guy, almost to the point of being sickening.

But watching him pitch is interesting. I've seen a couple of not too impressive outings, while tonight (mlb.tv) he's definatley "on".

But pretty basic questions....

What do you think of him thus far?

Is he worth it?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you think of Daisuke Matsuzaka so far?

Not impressed

Is he worth it? Nope
    Most Vottomatic Player

He hasn't shown the control that people said he had.

Here's his numbers by the way...

Code:
    Current numbers (excluding tonight) 

W L  ERA  G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP    H  R  ER HR  BB SO 
    2007 4 2  4.80 7 7   0  0   0  0  45.0  40 24 24 3   18 47 

BP forecast for Dice K 

Name               IP GS ERA  WHIP  H  BB HR SO  W  L SV VORP 
    Daisuke Matsuzaka 200 31 3.83 1.26 196 55 20 176 14 7 0  42.2
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Put him in the NL and you can knock a full run off that ERA. Let's see, over a K/IP, a 1.29 WHIP, and 3 HR in 45 IP. I'll take 5.

Perhaps it's not the greatest comp, but I think he's a lot like Arroyo with a better fastball. His breaking stuff is all plus and he's comfortable throwing anything in any count. He's gonna be good for a while as long as he stays healthy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Put him in the NL and you can knock a full run off that ERA. Let's see, over a K/IP, a 1.29 WHIP, and 3 HR in 45 IP. I'll take 5.

Perhaps it's not the greatest comp, but I think he's a lot like Arroyo with a better fastball. His breaking stuff is all plus and he's comfortable throwing anything in any count. He's gonna be good for a while as long as he stays healthy.

No kidding. Add in the fact that he's getting used to a new country and a new language and under incredible press scrutiny everywhere he goes.

I think he'll only get better.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

It should be noted that he was on a 7 day rotation instead of a 5 day rotation in Japan. He's not only adjusting to the US and a better league, but also to a different routine.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    He hasn't shown the control that people said he had.
    That's been his main failing, but his stuff is evil. My guess is he'll be adjusting and improving as the season wears on.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I remember they as in NESN mentioned that his arm was to lively, thus he began bullpen sessions of 110 pitches, 2 days before his starts. The thinking is his arm won't be as powerful. This is his 2nd game since that strategy has been instituted.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

That dude's got a DIPS ERA of 3.25, and as others have aptly noted his stuff is so filthy that he's striking batters out at a very high rate while also keeping the ball in the park.

His control has been disappointing, but if that's his only downfall then he'll still be a very solid pitcher. Heck, his control is still better than the collective effort of Reds relievers ... though that comparison alone doesn't say much.

Then there's the adjustments aspect that has also been mentioned. Once he adjusts a bit to the country, to MLB hitters, a five man rotation, etc., I can see him improving a bit more. I think the only people who will be disappointed in him will be the people who thought he'd be immediately be superhuman. That's quite a bit of a tall order, IMO.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    That dude's got a DIPS ERA of 3.25, and as others have aptly noted his stuff is so filthy that he's striking batters out at a very high rate while also keeping the ball in the park.

His control has been disappointing, but if that's his only downfall then he'll still be a very solid pitcher. Heck, his control is still better than the collective effort of Reds relievers ... though that comparison alone doesn't say much.

Then there's the adjustments aspect that has also been mentioned. Once he adjusts a bit to the country, to MLB hitters, a five man rotation, etc., I can see him improving a bit more. I think the only people who will be disappointed in him will be the people who thought he'd be immediately be superhuman. That's quite a bit of a tall order, IMO.
    Yeah, I agree Cyclone. I think next year he is going to be insane. I would not be surprised one bit if he started to get a little burnt out by the end of the season.

I've watched him pitch in the Japanese leagues and and can say Daisuke is not "himself" yet. When he is he will dominate. Japanese baseball is very different from its American cousin, and as others have mentioned he needs to adjust. A 4.80 ERA in the AL as a rookie is quite impressive imo. Give him a chance and he'll shine.

He pitched good tonight.

9 Innings, 6 Hits, 1 Run, 0 BB, 5 K

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    I've watched him pitch in the Japanese leagues and and can say Daisuke is not "himself" yet. When he is he will dominate. Japanese baseball is very different from its American cousin, and as others have mentioned he needs to adjust. A 4.80 ERA in the AL as a rookie is quite impressive imo. Give him a chance and he'll shine.
    What is his ERA now ?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    What is his ERA now ?
    Its down to 4.17 after tonights game.

Turn Off Ads?