Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wayne: No Panic

Wayne: No Panic

No panic, Krivsky says
    GM says manager change 'not on the radar'

By C. Trent Rosecrans
    Post staff reporter

SAN DIEGO - Chad Moeller and Marcus McBeth aren't saviors for the Reds' season - and they're not intended to be.

While the moves to call up the catcher and reliever and option starter Bobby Livingston and infielder Jeff Keppinger to Class AAA Louisville following Monday night's 7-1 loss to the Padres are hardly the moves everyone outside of the Reds front office is clamoring for, that won't sway general manager Wayne Krivsky, he said after the game.

"There won't be any panic, either," Krivsky said. "We've played how many games? 39?"

With Monday's loss, the Reds have lost 24 of those 39, including four straight and 11 of the last 13.

Krivsky reiterated his confidence in manager Jerry Narron and said a change in managers "isn't even on the radar."

"We're doing everything we can to win games," Krivsky said.
    Frankly I think it would be good if we can calm the panic in the streets - frankly, cool heads are needed. I've said it repeatedly that I'm glad Castellini and Krivsky are not panicking - I think this club can work through this and be the better for it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wayne: No Panic

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think this club can work through this…
    Based on…?
    Makes all the routine posts.

I think a manager change might be problematic for Hamilton, particularly with Jerry's brother being his personal "caddie" right now.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Yes, work through this and get to where they belong.

10-15 games below .500 by September 30th.

That would be a feat.

Don't Panic...the management philosophy of the Hitchhiker's Guide.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

There's no need to panic b/c there's no way to fix it. The Reds had a team that might win 84 games if everything went right. Nothing Krivsky can do is going to fix that. Regardless, when teams completely tank like this traditionally the manager takes the fall, as I was on the fence about Narron before the collapse I don't see any reason why he shouldn't take the hit.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I think this team has a LOT of talent. Like eveeryone, I'm thrilled with the starters overall performance so far. The bullpen is really rough and, though it appears none of us can be inside enough to know, I'm concerned with the EE treatment. I have no idea whether his demotion is good or bad - so all I can do is watch. I suspect a whole lot of us would agree on the above. If it goes on much longer we will definitely be out of it all (contending) this year.

But WK's comments do not bother me whatsoever. what is he going to say? a personal example:
    If my house is being flooded - and our possessions are being lost, I would turn to my wife and say: "It's OK. We'll be fine. It's not so bad really."

right?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I think a manager change might be problematic for Hamilton, particularly with Jerry's brother being his personal "caddie" right now.
    That's a good point and probably reason enough to keep Narron around for the whole year, even if he is proving to be less then and astute game manager.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I guess I'm failing to see the problem here. Jerry and Johnny aren't joined at the hip. Just because one goes doesn't mean the other will follow. If Johnny Narron weren't coaching for the Reds, he'd be coaching in A ball for the Brewers. I don't know about you but to me a major league coaching job is a lot more attractive than unemployment or coaching in A ball. Do you actually think Johnny will quit if Jerry gets fired?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    There's no need to panic b/c there's no way to fix it.
    Pretty much sums it up. What can he realistically do to turn things around? He can start DFAing vets and calling up young guys but is that going to turn the Reds into an instant contender? Probably not. At this point about all he can do is ride it out for 6 or 8 weeks and hope some of these guys build up some kind of market. Flip them in June/July for something of value (hopefully) to build on for 2008.

At this point, I'd be shocked if Wayne was in the know. They should be asking Bob questions about both Wayne and Jerry's futures.

I thought of that too, but my guess is Jerry wouldn't be entirely surprised if he got canned. It's part of being a manager- always rent. He has been around the game long enough to know that getting fired is not always a reflection on the manager or even on the organization's comittment towards him. It simply boils down to the fact that you can't fire 15 ballplayers, but that you can fire one manager.

Additionally, the history of the Narron/Hamilton relationship tells me they are committed to Josh's success. My guess is they would be classy enough to do what needs to be done to help the kid out. And Hamilton is enough of a priority for the Reds that they would have to make sure to treat the Narron's right for the sake of Josh. Well, I hope so anyway.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Based on…?
    Based on the fact that aside from the bullpen, this club isn't as bad as their record presently. I've never understood the whole notion of Pythag etc, but as I've heard folks talk about it this week, I've grasped the concept.

When EE gets back up (and I think he's in Louisville to get his head on straight), this isn't a bad line up overall. The starters have been fairly good and I think they can maintain their pace. At some point, I think we'll get the bullpen right.

I know it looks like a train wreck today, but it won't be all season. I was among those who said this club wasn't going to contend this year unless everything fell right - it hasn't; not just with us but throughout the division. I still think this club can right itself and come close to even.

I'm glad to see the steady hands because I've long believed that the constant turnover in management is hurting the club. I think the Reds can win in years to come to Narron at the helm. I don't believe for a minute that he's as stupid as far too many Redzone denizens believe.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Nobody asked him if there should be panic. He brought it up.

"There won't be any panic, either," Krivsky said. "We've played how many games? 39?"

Ok, so he gets credit for stating the obvious. Besides, they have stunk it up for more than 39 games there Wayne.

To me, he's got pretty much nothing to say, so maybe he should just do that - not say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Don't Panic...the management philosophy of the Hitchhiker's Guide.
    But does Jerry know where his towel is?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?