Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wayne: No Panic

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Wayne: No Panic

When "everything we can" involves the promotion of Chad Moeller, the demotion of EE and Brad Salmon, and regular at bats for Juan Castro, it's time to find that towel. Not to say this is unexpected -- 80 win teams go through these stretches. The problem is that some people were under the impression that this team was better than that.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Per Fay.

Fool's Gold?

Yesterday -- after taking a 7 or 8 on the first hole -- I hit a hit a 5 wood to within 12 feet on a 177-yard par 3. Just missed the birdie putt and tapped in for par. If you watched that hole, you might be under the mistaken in impression that I'm a good golfer. I'm not. After that hole, I went back to usual array of shanks, pulls, slices and 3 putts.

The reason I bring this up is after watching the Reds in the final game of the recent homestand -- the 9-5 win over Houston -- you might have been under the mistaken impression that the Reds were about to roll. But after that win, they went back to usual array of missed opportunities, bullpen blowups, strikeouts and bad starts.

Both Doc and I talked to Bob Castellini that day. An optimistic guy by nature, he was convinced that a turnaround was in the offing. Looking back it would have been much more interesting to get his take if the Reds hadn't won that day.

The good news for Big Bob is good percentage of people are still ticked off. That shows that apathy hasn't set in yet. But it's only a few losses away. After that win, it seemed like a major shake-up was a ways away. Now, my guess is if the don't win two or three of the final five games on the trip, we could see something.

As for the moves, I'd make Marcus McBeth the closer and put David Weathers in the eighth. I'd rather get to the ninth than see games blown in the eighth. If McBeth works out, it's a huge bonus. I see the Chad Moeller move as indictment of Javier Valentin's pitch selection. Jerry Narron has questioned it a couple of times this year.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Based on the fact that aside from the bullpen, this club isn't as bad as their record presently. I've never understood the whole notion of Pythag etc, but as I've heard folks talk about it this week, I've grasped the concept.

When EE gets back up (and I think he's in Louisville to get his head on straight), this isn't a bad line up overall. The starters have been fairly good and I think they can maintain their pace. At some point, I think we'll get the bullpen right.

I know it looks like a train wreck today, but it won't be all season. I was among those who said this club wasn't going to contend this year unless everything fell right - it hasn't; not just with us but throughout the division. I still think this club can right itself and come close to even.

I'm glad to see the steady hands because I've long believed that the constant turnover in management is hurting the club. I think the Reds can win in years to come to Narron at the helm. I don't believe for a minute that he's as stupid as far too many Redzone denizens believe.
    I agree. A lineup that makes the most of Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton and Edwin, smart handling of the starting pitchers, and the excruciatingly slow process of fixing the bullpen will bring the team back from the dead.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Panic? why panic?

This team took right up where it left off when we saw them last fall.

Since July 1, 2006, this team is 51-70. Let's let that sink in for a while.

There's nothing to panic about.

In retrospect, I think (I have no knowledge of this, just a feeling) that WK wanted to start rebuilding the team right away when he took over, but a very fast start last year, and a very mediocre NL Central kept them in the race. So, he held back on the redo, and tried to patch together a winner.

It didn't work for last year, and hurt this club even more for this year.

FWIW, I don't think this team is as bad as it's playing right now. McCoy was right, this team plays with no fire at all. That's something that no statistic can measure. The bullpen can't be as bad as it has been in the 8th inning. Is Todd Coffey really this bad? He never has been before. Mike Stanton is not this bad of a pitcher- he never has been this bad. I didn't think he was a closer when we got him, but I thought- OK, a steady pitcher, not like Franklin, or Hammond...

It's all a dream, right?

If this continues, I fully expect WK, with full blessing of Castellini, to start blowing it up and working on a winner for next year. Because 51-70 over 121 games is not a slump, it's a track record.
    Last edited by Always Red; 05-15-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: bad math!!

Based on the fact that aside from the bullpen, this club isn't as bad as their record presently.
    Well, the infield offense if pretty terrible. The corner defense is comedic. The bench is dismal. There's a black hole at catcher. On-field management is laughable. Then there's the braintrust.

Yep, the bullpen is the only problem. Fortunately, Stanton is under contract for another year.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Yep, the bullpen is the only problem. Fortunately, Stanton is under contract for another year.

Whew! For a second there I was worried.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Well there you all go - resume rioting in the streets. Enjoy yourselves.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

From Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...surrounded by the Bolivian Army.

[last lines]
    Butch Cassidy: Hey, wait a minute.
    Sundance Kid: What?
    Butch Cassidy: You didn't see Lefors out there, did you?
    Sundance Kid: Lefors? No.
    Butch Cassidy: Oh, good. For a moment there I thought we were in trouble.
    [They both run out of the building, only to be met with gunfire from all sides from the Bolivian army]
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

If pointing out the team is short on talent means rioting in the streets, then I guess we are rioting.

You started this thread. Is my post wrong? Because "aside from the bullpen," as you put it, I'm looking at a starting lineup of hitters all of whom besides Griffey are hitting below .280. And there's no reason not to count on Griffey to give us 600 PA of 1.006 OPS, right? I'm also looking at the, what, second-to-worst defense in the league? But, hey, now that Freel will be getting starts at the hot corner, surely brighter days are ahead. The bench is Valentin, Moeller, Castro, Conine, Hopper. Woo-hoo! That'll strike fear into the hearts of closers far and wide. Eric Milton is due back on the 25th, and Homer Bailey is on the DL. What's not to like?

Look, maybe we praise Wayne for not panicing after three or four stinkers in a row. But after a dozen of them, it might be time to look for more help than a DFA'd third catcher can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    You started this thread. Is my post wrong? Because "aside from the bullpen," as you put it, I'm looking at a starting lineup of hitters all of whom besides Griffey are hitting below .280. And there's no reason not to count on Griffey to give us 600 PA of 1.006 OPS, right? I'm also looking at the, what, second-to-worst defense in the league? But, hey, now that Freel will be getting starts at the hot corner, surely brighter days are ahead. The bench is Valentin, Moeller, Castro, Conine, Hopper. Woo-hoo! That'll strike fear into the hearts of closers far and wide. Eric Milton is due back on the 25th, and Homer Bailey is on the DL. What's not to like?

Look, maybe we praise Wayne for not panicing after three or four stinkers in a row. But after a dozen of them, it might be time to look for more help than a DFA'd third catcher can provide.
    The last think Krivsky should do is look for help this season. Trying might result in another Washington massacre. If it isn't time to burn it down, I don't know when that time would be.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If it isn't time to burn it down, I don't know when that time would be.
    I don't think we'll see any burning until late June or July. Even then I doubt there will be a total burn down.

Man Pills

Is it possible to panic when you're already dead?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'm generally an optimistic person, especially when it comes to the Reds.

I thought Wk had fixed the bullpen, with the exception of a closer. I took the lack of a closer to mean, first, that they expected Guardado bak sooner than I did, and secondly, that they didn't think they were THAT close, not close enough to add the big expense of a proven closer. Well, the bullpen is a well-documented mess, for a number of reasons.

Personally, I think the Reds actually have better pitchers than they have had in some time. Why they can't pitch that way is beyond me, although it seems as if Javy Valentin is getting some of the blame.

It wasn't until I actually looked up, month by month the Reds record since last summer that it occured to me that this is not a slump or just bad luck

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...06_sched.shtml

Code:
    July '06          11-14
    Aug '06            12-17
    Sept/Oct  '06      13-15
    April '07          12-13
    May '07            3-11
    I'm not in full panic, I'm just come to the realization, that in spite of having the best SP this team has had in years, this team is still not getting anywhere. One day it's the bullpen, one day they can't hit, the next day they throw it all over the yard. Five years ago, we all thought if we just had some starting pitching...

Moving Keppinger, Moeller, Salmon and McBeth around, up and down- I see that as just try-outs, wheel spinning, action for action's sake. I don't think it's going to solve anything. McBeth may even prove to be the closer, if so, that's great, and it will push Weathers back to the 8th.

redsmetz, what do you think they need to do right now, if anything? Just stay the course?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The last think Krivsky should do is look for help this season.
    There are 120 games and four-and-a-half months left in this season. Somebody's got help for us somewhere, and if Wayne can't find it, then by god someone else better.

Turn Off Ads?