Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting yelled at by a coworker

Re: Getting yelled at by a coworker

I apologized for snapping at someone today, when she in fact was the one who snapped at me.

(She's really moody, and is somewhat threatened by me, because I am really better suited for her position than she is. But she's not going anywhere, and while I'd love the opportunity to do some of the work she does, I don't want to work that closely with the personalities in that department.)
    Last edited by SandyD; 05-15-2007 at 08:50 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

I own my own business. Currently I am the only employee.

And the next time that SOB yells at me, he's gonna take one in the kisser.....

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

This varies by region around the country. It's not uncommon in major cities in the east coast for employers to chew out employees loudly and sometimes in front of customers/clients.

I didn't grow up in a household that yelled and screamed much, so this sort of behavior still weirds me out.

I do a lot of contract legal research for some of the major Boston law firms. There's one particular firm, where I have twice heard partners chewing out associates from down the hall. We're talking a law firm that charges $400-600/hr depending on the attorneys used on a project.

I don't advocate it, but there's a movement afoot to pass legislation against workplace bullying:

http://www.businessforum.com/Yamada_01.html

Not that all yelling is bullying or that all bullying is yelling.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I don't advocate it, but there's a movement afoot to pass legislation against workplace bullying:

http://www.businessforum.com/Yamada_01.html .

Sad. Is no one capable of dealing with their own problems anymore? Must there be a government/legal solution to every problem in our lives?

Maybe they could pass a law to deal with the crabgrass in my back yard?

I've never been yelled at in the workplace, nor have I ever yelled at a coworker, though Lord knows I've wanted to before.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time someone other than my children has yelled at me.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

That seems too subjective to even think about.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    That seems too subjective to even think about.
    Not only that, but who out there works at a company where they couldn't just change jobs to get away from jerk-boss you can't seem to deal with? Unless you live in that town from Roadhouse where there are no cops, and 3 businesses (all ruled by an above-the-law tyrant) you can always just leave the job. And that's if you can't deal with the boss to avoid the hassle of changing jobs.

If it's a job that's highly specialized, your dream job or for some other odd reason you just can't leave, then there's ways around a screaming boss.

And if it's a coworker that's "bullying" you and you can't figure out how to deal with them? Good lord. Maybe the problem isn't them? Besides that, who wants to work for a company that is so weak they can stop your bully coworker either?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Not only that, but who out there works at a company where they couldn't just change jobs to get away from jerk-boss you can't seem to deal with? Unless you live in that town from Roadhouse where there are no cops, and 3 businesses (all ruled by an above-the-law tyrant) you can always just leave the job. And that's if you can't deal with the boss to avoid the hassle of changing jobs.

If it's a job that's highly specialized, your dream job or for some other odd reason you just can't leave, then there's ways around a screaming boss.
    So you believe the person being bullied needs to just deal with it or run away, and no fault rests upon the shoulders of the person doing the bullying? That's... quaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    And if it's a coworker that's "bullying" you and you can't figure out how to deal with them? Good lord. Maybe the problem isn't them? Besides that, who wants to work for a company that is so weak they can stop your bully coworker either?
    This is beyond the pale. To even suggest that the person being victimized is at fault is disgusting.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I own my own business. Currently I am the only employee.

And the next time that SOB yells at me, he's gonna take one in the kisser.....

Wasn't that the awful pepsi radio ad a few years ago with Dave Chapelle?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    So you believe the person being bullied needs to just deal with it or run away, and no fault rests upon the shoulders of the person doing the bullying? That's... quaint.

This is beyond the pale. To even suggest that the person being victimized is at fault is disgusting.

I think what he's saying is it doesn't make sense to work for a company that doesn't have the HR ability to deal with that. If the company structure is so weak that you can't work through the problem with the bully, either directly or indirectly, that I would leave. Most large companies have an HR person that you can talk to about behavior and report it "anonymously."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I worked for a screamer once. His anger was legendary. He was the owner, so there was no one to to go to, to complain about him.

One day I walked into his office and he unloaded.

I calmly said "it's a small office, John, I can hear you without all the yelling."

He was not amused.

But I was.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I wasn't yelled at, but I'm a consultant and was in a meeting with a client's CFO, some veep and their warehouse manager one time. I had brought to their attention that their shipping manager was either on the take or was dumber than dirt. He was on the take. I had talked extensively with someone at one of their carriers who laid out for me how it was all coming down (we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars). The guy explained that his cousin was looking the other way while he was in cahoots with many of his carriers.

In the meeting, the CFO asked if I had any idea who the other person was. I didn't want to come right out and say who the person said and laid out some conjecture type questions; one being "does he have any relatives who he works with" to which the warehouse manager said, "I'm his cousin" with some umbrage. Yikes! I did some backpedaling and was glad to get that meeting over with.

The shipping manager got fired, the cousin didn't. This dude was bringing down some serious change and I brought it to their attention at the same time they were learning someone in their accounts receivable had been robbing them blind.

When I first left high school, I worked in a box factory down in what became the Old Spaghetti Factory building. The form had a notorious temper and was always reeming people. I would take stock up the freight elevator and move it around, taking forever (I was contemplating the universe) and he'd hit the elevator button (I'd leave the gate open so it wouldn't operate!) and I could hear him from the first floor and I was on the 5th or 6th floor.

His temper was so terrible, the employees finally unionized to put a buffer on him.

I don't like screamers.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I don't like screamers.
    Especially Irish ones

Turn Off Ads?