Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting yelled at by a coworker

Re: Getting yelled at by a coworker

I've been yelled at in all sports and even in marching band ( we were pretty competitive and our badn director's yelling was commonplace, but we were good), but never really at work, though I have seen it and heard about it.

It is beyond my comprehension that yelling should even be considered in our workplace or business for that matter. The person doing the yelling IMO definitely has issues unless it is beacuse of some activity such as stealing or some other blatant disregard for others that caused it in the first place.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    So you believe the person being bullied needs to just deal with it or run away, and no fault rests upon the shoulders of the person doing the bullying? That's... quaint.

This is beyond the pale. To even suggest that the person being victimized is at fault is disgusting.
    I think you are totally miss-interpreting my comments.

I don't think the person being bullied should just "deal with it" as in put up with it. I mean, they should "deal with it" as in take action, stand up for themselves, not allow themselves to be treated with dissrespect, etc. Whether it's dealing with the person directly or indirectly.

I'm not saying the person being bullied is at fault for anything. I'm saying (much like Hoosier thought) that why on earth would you want to work for a company that would (1) let such behavior continue (2) not stand up for you via your manager, HR, executive level, etc?

And if your company can't figure out how to get the bully in line (and your efforts to resolve the situation fail), why put up with the behavior for .02 seconds longer than neccessary? In most cases (not all) one can find a new job in the same line of work and leave the jerk and the weak, leaderless company behind.

And notice that not one single one of those steps required a law. Quaint to expect people to deal with their own problems, aint it.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

At this point, I think I'm in agreement with you, Ltlabner, about LAWS on workplace bullying. It would probably open a huge can of worms in the court system.

However, I think there are more towns like in "Roadhouse" than you may realize. There are tons of places in this country that are in the middle of nowhere. There may be one good job in the town. If you get fired, you're screwed. If they hire some ****** who humiliates everyone, the employees are forced to suck it up or uproot their families and move.

If I got fired tomorrow in Boston, it would suck, but I'd live. If you live in the Moosehead Lake region of Maine, and Moosehead Furniture lays you off, you will need to find your family breakfast somewhere in the woods.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

mmmm mooseheads.....
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    At this point, I think I'm in agreement with you, Ltlabner, about LAWS on workplace bullying. It would probably open a huge can of worms in the court system.

However, I think there are more towns like in "Roadhouse" than you may realize. There are tons of places in this country that are in the middle of nowhere. There may be one good job in the town. If you get fired, you're screwed. If they hire some ****** who humiliates everyone, the employees are forced to suck it up or uproot their families and move.

If I got fired tomorrow in Boston, it would suck, but I'd live. If you live in the Moosehead Lake region of Maine, and Moosehead Furniture lays you off, you will need to find your family breakfast somewhere in the woods.

Actually, it's not just small towns. In some cities, if you are trying to make a lateral move within the same industry, you run the risk of it getting back to your boss. The owner of a printing company I worked for told me that another printshop owner told her a coworker of mine had applied for a job there. Not asking for reference, or anything. Just saying "your employee is looking around."

Makes it kind of hard to just go to another company.

So, unless you have a skill set that makes you extremely valuable to a lot of companies, it might not be that easy to find another position.

I don't think passing a LAW is going to change the workplace environment, though.

Turn Off Ads?