Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why throw fastballs in bunt situations?

Why throw fastballs in bunt situations?

Watching the game last night I could understand why Belisle was throwing first pitch fastballs to Maddux in obvious bunt situations. Maddux was already turned and ready to bunt the ball before he started the windup. Throw a curveball and see if he puts down a bad bunt or pop it up. But fastballs right down the middle when you know he's bunting. This was driving me nuts

Unless somebody has a reasonable explanation, i want to know who was calling for this Narron or Ross. But it just seem like a poor decision to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why throw fastballs in bunt situations?

Curveballs are easier to bunt because they're slower and are already moving down.

The toughest pitch to bunt is a high and tight fastball.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Runner is also moving...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Fastball, up and in. Always. Makes an inexperienced batsman pop it up or just whiff.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

All dyslexics must untie!

I've seen opposing pitchers throw inside, off the plate to Red's bunters (Alex G. comes to mind) I thought Belisle was showing Mad Dog wayyyyy too much "respect" last night, laying 'em in there

but that's me, old-school baseball is passe, opposing players are off-season friends who don't want to risk injuring each other
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Watching the game last night I could understand why Belisle was throwing first pitch fastballs to Maddux in obvious bunt situations. Maddux was already turned and ready to bunt the ball before he started the windup. Throw a curveball and see if he puts down a bad bunt or pop it up. But fastballs right down the middle when you know he's bunting. This was driving me nuts

Unless somebody has a reasonable explanation, i want to know who was calling for this Narron or Ross. But it just seem like a poor decision to me.
    I am glad to see that I was not the only one who was ticked off watching that. Isn't every pitcher taught to throw the ball high and tight when they see a batter squaring to bunt? That's taught in high school ball. The only explanation I could come up with was Belisle's "respect" for Maddux that was discussed before the game. I say screw that. You do what you have to for your team. You can bet the farm that Maddux would not do the same if the situation was reversed. He'll put it under your chin no matter who you are.

I don't think it has anything to do with anyone calling it. A pitcher shouldn't have to be told this. Belisle is the only one who should be at fault here.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Fastball, up and in. Always. Makes an inexperienced batsman pop it up or just whiff.
    or take one in the jaw
    woo woo woo, you know it

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101 View Post
    or take one in the jaw
    That's what my coaches always said, too. I miss the good old days.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Against a good bunter like Maddux, throwing pitches high and tight will result usually in a 4 pitch walk.

You gotta throw strikes. Just make them fastballs, and a little high and tight.

But chin music will not likely get it done.

Agree with PuffyPig. The last thing you want to do is walk a guy that is giving himself up (sacrifice bunt). Take the out. That's why fastballs are thrown, they are the easiest pitch to control. I don't understand throwing 3 straight fastballs to the batter, though. When I caught and knew the batter was going to bunt, I'd call whatever I wanted on the first pitch. If it was a strike, I went with a breaking ball on the second pitch usually. If that was a ball and count evened, I went back to a high fastball. If the second pitch was a strike, I called for another breaking ball (a different one if the pitcher had it).
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Against a good bunter like Maddux, throwing pitches high and tight will result usually in a 4 pitch walk.

You gotta throw strikes. Just make them fastballs, and a little high and tight.

But chin music will not likely get it done.
    He's a good bunter, but you have four chances if walking him is your worry. One up in the armpits isn't going to hurt. There's never anything wrong with putting the thought in a guy's head that he might get plunked.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    He's a good bunter, but you have four chances if walking him is your worry. One up in the armpits isn't going to hurt. There's never anything wrong with putting the thought in a guy's head that he might get plunked.
    Agreed. Not saying that you throw him 4 straight balls, but you sure as heck do not make it easy for him by throwing it right down the pipe when you see the guy squaring to bunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Curveballs are easier to bunt because they're slower and are already moving down.

The toughest pitch to bunt is a high and tight fastball.

Yep
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?