Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes I wish I was 10 years old again

Sometimes I wish I was 10 years old again

There was a time when I'd find a couple quarters laying in the street, and I'd get on my bike and ride to the local Dairy Mart, walk up to the counter and ask for a wax pack of Topps. I'd slide my quarters across the counter, eager with anticipation, hoping that when I pulled open the glue on the back of the pack, that I'd find a hero inside.

The first thing I'd do was place that gum in my mouth. There was nothing in those days like a pink stick of gum that you could break. The initial reaction of that gum on my tastebuds was revulsion, but I continued chewing anyway, until I got it to a point where it was soft and gooey...the way gum should be. Ah, that gum...completely vile and utterly addictive at the same time.

I'd hurry through the cards, hoping for an Eric Davis, Jose Canseco, or a (yes) Jesse Barfield. I'd always cringe whenever I'd get a Pascual Perez. Something about him always scared me. I'd slide the cards into my pocket and get back on my bike and ride home.

While watching the games on TV with my dad, I'd set up my cards the same as that day's lineup, and dream about one day being on that diamond myself.

I'd study the stances and pitching deliveries pictured on the cards, so that when I got together with my friends to play ball at the park, I could imitate those heroes of mine.

I always ran all out, all the time in those days, because that's how my dad taught me. The Pete Rose way, he called it. Do everything like Pete, and you'll never be sorry.

I'd be upset when the Reds lost, but I'd always look forward to tomorrow, knowing that they'd get the Astros or Dodgers the next time. I didn't care about stats. Strikeouts didn't bother me. When I went to the ballpark to see a game, I just wanted to have the opportunity to see those men, the legends from my baseball cards, in person doing what I hoped to someday do myself.

Play a game just for the love of it.

Still, even as a 10 year old, I sat in the outfield at Riverfront and heckled a Pirates outfielder named Barry Bonds.

But sometimes...sometimes I wish I could be that 10 year old again.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sometimes I wish I was 10 years old again

The first thing I'd do was place that gum in my mouth. There was nothing in those days like a pink stick of gum that you could break. The initial reaction of that gum on my tastebuds was revulsion, but I continued chewing anyway, until I got it to a point where it was soft and gooey...the way gum should be. Ah, that gum...completely vile and utterly addictive at the same time.
    I bought a few boxes of late-80s/early 90s baseball cards last Christmas. My father in law wanted to chew the gum, so I gave him some. It disintegrated into small, sharp chunks, but would not congeal into a wad no matter how much he chewed it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

What was that white powder on the gum? Honestly, I think I only chewed two or three sticks despite buying around a thousand packs of cards between the ages of 8-12.

But I hear you, Sava- I miss those days. Your post brought the awful taste of that gum right back to me, but also the joyous feeling of opening a pack and finding a Joe, Pete, Johnny, Davey, or Tony.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I wouldn't mind being 10 years old again if for no other reason than tonight's lineup would look something like this:

C Bench
    1B Perez
    2B Morgan
    3B Rose
    SS Concepcion
    LF Foster
    CF Geronimo
    RF Griffey

Memories,
    Like the corners of my mind
    Misty water-colored memories
    Of the way we were......

Memories,
    Like the corners of my mind
    Misty water-colored memories
    Of the way we were......
    Man, I so regret reading the whole post.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Being ten would mean this lineup for the Reds.

Rose LF
    Tolan CF
    Perez 1b
    Bench C
    May 1b
    McRae/Carbo RF
    Helms 2b
    Concepcion/Chaney ss
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I began buying baseball cards when I was 9 yrs old in 1963. I really started getting into baseball card collecting in 1965. I rode my bike to the store on Ohio Avenue in Deer Park, a suburb of Cincinnati, to get my cards. The cards were 5 cents a pack with 5 cards in a pack with a stick of gum. I spent all of my allowance on baseball cards in those days until I became more interested in girls in the late 60's.
    Those were great days and great memories. I'm glad I grew up in those good ole' days.

A 1965 Reds lineup would of looked like this:

LF) Tommy Harper
    2B) Pete Rose
    CF) Vada Pinson
    RF) Frank Robinson
    3B) Deron Johnson
    1B) Gordy Coleman
    C) Johnny Edwards
    SS) Leo "Chico" Cardenas
    P) Jim Maloney
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 05-15-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Do you still have your cards, LINEDRIVER? I still have all of mine, and it is almost like being 10 again when I occasionally pull them out and look at them. My favorites are my 1969 Topps.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Brings back memories and the sad unhealthy desire I had to get a Jay Johnstone card, and a Ray Fosse to lol.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    What was that white powder on the gum? Honestly, I think I only chewed two or three sticks despite buying around a thousand packs of cards between the ages of 8-12.
    Confectioners sugar.

I tried to get back into card collecting a few years ago but was disgusted by the "all about money" mentality. I already collected stamps and decided to collect baseball themed ones as side interest...I've never been happier with a hobby. It is absolutely unreal how many nations print baseball related stamps, and you can get them affordably and easily. Not to mention that almost all stamp collectors do it for fun rather than money.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Do you still have your cards, LINEDRIVER? I still have all of mine, and it is almost like being 10 again when I occasionally pull them out and look at them. My favorites are my 1969 Topps.
    I'm sorry to say that I dont have the cards. I'll always think that the '65 Topps were the greatest.

Sava-

I think you and I must be close in age. My ten year old lineup looked something like this:

Kal Daniels
    Chris Sabo
    Barry Larkin
    Eric Davis
    Paul O'Neill
    Nick Esasky
    Bo Diaz
    Ron Oester
    Browning, Jackson, or Rijo on a good night

and Johnny Franco to close it out.

Or maybe Lark hit second and Sabo third? I'm sure Sabo didn't start the year hitting that high up in the order, and I'm sure someone on here can tell me for sure!

I loved that team. The year was 1988....I believe the Rijo/Parker trade was made right before or soon after the season began. Anyone know for sure? I could go pull out my card albums and find out for sure, but that would be a lot of trouble. :-)
    "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come out, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.
    -A. Barlett Giamatti

Quote Originally Posted by PressBox View Post
    Sava-

I think you and I must be close in age.

I loved that team. The year was 1988....
    I've got you beat by a year. The 1987 Reds lineup was:

Kal Daniels
    Barry Larkin
    Dave Parker
    Eric Davis
    Buddy Bell
    Bo Diaz
    Terry Francona
    Ron Oester
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    What was that white powder on the gum?.
    Chalk....actual chalk. It comes from Africa.

Wait...I'm thinking of the stuff that goes on the inside of gum wrappers.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    Not to mention that almost all stamp collectors do it for fun rather than money.
    They don't have a choice. There hasn't been any money in it in decades now. I love sending old stamps as regular postage now. You can buy them dollar for dollar at coin/stamp collecting stores.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?