Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did we jump on Josh Hamilton's bandwagon too soon?

Did we jump on Josh Hamilton's bandwagon too soon?

Before anyone jumps on me, my take is simply that it's WAY too soon to tell what Hamilton is. He tore it up his first 11 games, but has been struggling his last 23 games:

First 11: .333/.429/.900, 5 HR, 11 RBI, 30 AB
    Last 23: .218/.295/.397, 3 HR, 8 RBI, 78 AB

Will he make the adjustments or will he fade away? It'll be interesting to see...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did we jump on Josh Hamilton's bandwagon too soon?

He's currently in a 1 for 23 slump going back to May 6th.

He'll have an up and down year because he's fighting youth and stamina both physical and mental. But what won't change are his skills; very quick bat, excellent arm, baseball IQ, etc.

I'm excited to see that his skills have not eroded. It's all still there and he's a Cincinnati Red! Talk about him being rookie of the year/MVP was folly

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The league has adjusted to him, and now he has to make adjustments himself...this is a learning-on-the-job experience for him, both mentally and physically.

He's going to be a fine. He has a very bright future ahead of him, and I hope it is here in Cincinnati

Even if one hits .250 for a season, it doesn't mean they go 1 for 4 every game.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I haven't paid as much attention his last few starts, but maybe he needs to slow down with his aggressiveness.

He's been way up there in terms of swinging at the first pitch, which a lot of times will get him in a quick hole. With the league beginning to make adjustments to him, he's going to need that extra strike more and more.

He's a rookie in the major leagues. He's going to have ups and downs. The potential is there for him to be an outstanding player.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

People have to remember.....he has never played past A ball

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He'll have an up and down year because he's fighting youth and stamina both physical and mental. But what won't change are his skills; very quick bat, excellent arm, baseball IQ, etc.

I'm excited to see that his skills have not eroded. It's all still there and he's a Cincinnati Red! Talk about him being rookie of the year/MVP was folly
    As is the case with any Rule 5 guy, the greatest goal is to get them through the entire year so they're your player. I think he'll be up and down most of the year, but as Sea Ray noted, I think his raw talent is a huge plus for the future and I hope he ultimately regularly becomes the player we're seeing glimpses of thus far.

I'm not worried about Josh Hamilton at all. I suspected he would struggle at times this year but still hit 20+ homers. 2008 is when I think he'll be a true star. Give him some time to learn the league and then watch him become one of the best players in the game. I truly believe that.

A problem the Reds have currently is that with EE's trip to AAA Freel plays every day at 3B. This means no mental days off for Josh and no resting vs tough lefties. ( it also means the inevitable wearing down of Freel ).

Or it means more playing time for Hopper & Castro.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Or it means more playing time for Hopper & Castro.
    Sadly, that's what gonna happen...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Better that he now has to work a bit for his success to keep him from resting on his laurels. The little taste of success he had initially should whet his appetite for more.
    /r/reds

Montani Semper Liberi

As long as Josh doesn't go into a funk that ruins his confidence he'll be fine. The tools are there and with the right handling by management he'll continue to be something special. The heir apparent to Griffey for filling GABP seats for years to come.

A couple days off to relax and a set place in the lineup where a rookie is most likely to succeed and he will be fine, even though he has those ups and downs from learning. Who on the Reds doesn't have those kind of days?

Turn Off Ads?