Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354 LastLast

Thread: 5/15/07 Reds vs. Padres

Re: 5/15/07 Reds vs. Padres

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Weathers won't be available to pitch for like a week now.
    Nah, Weathers will likely be unavailable tomorrow, but add in the off day on Thursday and he'll be available again to pitch by Friday. Despite throwing three full innings, he did only throw 31 pitches and that's a very economical pitch count for nine outs.

Weathers' performance tonight has to be the best relief pitching performance we've seen all season. Kudos to him; the dude got the job done and a heckuva lot more.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Weathers' performance tonight has to be the best relief pitching performance we've seen all season. Kudos to him; the dude got the job done and a heckuva lot more.
    I agree with that. He moved up a few notches in my book.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Massive performance by Weathers. Can't throw enough superlatives at him for what he did tonight.
    I think one of those last two would've been gone if the game had been in Cincinnati...

But, despite that, HUGE performance by Weathers + Harang. The kind of outings you need from your best starter and best reliever when the team is going south.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Good for both of them. Now if the rest of the relievers take Weathers' game to heart, we could possibly salvage this season. This is known as seeing the glass half full.

It is a shame that a caught spike cost AH the victory. He deserved one tonight.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

lol whoever the AP writer covering the recap for this game on Yahoo must've been in a rush.

David Weathers (1-2) pitched two perfect innings and Mike Stanton retired the Padres in order in the 12th to finish off the two-hitter and pick up his first save in two chances.
    Either I was watching the wrong thing, or this guy was

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    lol whoever the AP writer covering the recap for this game on Yahoo must've been in a rush.

Either I was watching the wrong thing, or this guy was
    What can I say, we all got a little Stanton in us.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

I'm sure some people will say that Jerry Narron made all the right moves tonight. And, really, it doesn't matter because we won the game and everyone is happy (and they should be after going 2-9 over the last 11 games), but you have to see what this offense does to the team.

I keep wondering why you bat Conine fourth and Dunn fifth followed by Gonzo. Gonzo has cooled off to .255 (after being well over .300 a week ago) and offers no protection for Dunn. It's easy to pitch around Dunn knowing Alex G will make an out. Why? Why bat Hamilton after Gonzo? he was 3-5 tonight, but his skills are needed at the top of the lineup. There is no reason why Chad Moeller should ever start. Never. Yes, he was 1-3 tonight and scored a run, but no. We are wasting Dunn in this lineup. Bat Jr. third and Dunn fourth. If you must bat Freel leadoff (which I disagree with) then bat Hamilton second and put Phillips fifth or sixth. It's all madness to me.

And with no offensive production, Aaron Harang, just like Arroyo and other starters who have pitched gems this year, gets nothing for his superior outing. Nine innings pitched and two hits. It's just insane.

And for all those who harped on Griffey's "loss of range" in the outfield (which should be copyrighted by those who just can't stand that a sure Hall of Famer can still play), I wish you more losses. For the last three years the mantra of RedsZone has been put anyone out there--Deno, Freel, Hopper, and any number of lesser players. And yet a healthy Griffey still has the ability and the talent to take this team on his shoulders and win a game. Shame on you. Appreciate seeing a player who, despite numerous injuries and setbacks, should always bat third. While your favorites Denorfia and Freel and Hopper and whoever else flail away, The Kid rules.

That is all. I had to get that off my chest. And for those advocating McBeth as the "anointed one" to pitch in this close game, remember he is a rookie. There will be a time for him, but tonight was not the time. Weathers was Superman and Jerry Narron finally made the right decision. I just wish there was a remedial class for lineup construction he could take. In fact, maybe it would be a special ed class.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Narron used the same lineup only 22 times last year.

That's just. Wow.
    Lou Piniella used 124 different lineups in 1990. He used the following lineup six times--more often than any other:

3B Chris Sabo
    CF Billy Hatcher
    SS Barry Larkin
    LF Eric Davis
    RF Paul O'Neill
    1B Todd Benzinger
    2B Mariano Duncan
    C Joe Oliver
    <pitcher>

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Freel is in center, Hamilton in left, Castro at 3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    oh my God... why all these changes? IMHO, stupid changes.

I think he does it just because he can.
    Narron burned through his bench like Sherman through Georgia.

Pinch-running Hopper for Dunn was questionable (I wouldn't have done it), but I could live with it, as Hopper is a legitimate stolen base threat. But he should have stayed in the game in LF. Also, Ross should have been double-switched into the #9 spot, so he would have been leading off the 11th. There was no need to use Castro at that point in the game, especially when the Reds only have a five-man bench to begin with. After the top of the 10th, the lineup should have been:

Freel 3b
    Phillips 2b
    Griffey rf
    Conine 1b
    Hopper lf (I would have still had Dunn here)
    Gonzalez ss
    Hamilton cf
    Weathers p
    Ross c (leads off the 11th inning)

That would have left Valentin and Castro as position players off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Massive performance by Weathers. Can't throw enough superlatives at him for what he did tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    HUGE performance by Weathers + Harang. The kind of outings you need from your best starter and best reliever when the team is going south.
    Agreed. Harang pitched a masterful game (the freak balk in the 8th notwithstanding), and Weathers went totally "old school" with a gutsy three-inning relief outing.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I keep wondering why you bat Conine fourth and Dunn fifth followed by Gonzo. Gonzo has cooled off to .255 (after being well over .300 a week ago) and offers no protection for Dunn. It's easy to pitch around Dunn knowing Alex G will make an out. Why? Why bat Hamilton after Gonzo? he was 3-5 tonight, but his skills are needed at the top of the lineup. There is no reason why Chad Moeller should ever start. Never. Yes, he was 1-3 tonight and scored a run, but no. We are wasting Dunn in this lineup. Bat Jr. third and Dunn fourth. If you must bat Freel leadoff (which I disagree with) then bat Hamilton second and put Phillips fifth or sixth. It's all madness to me.
    I agree with hitting Griffey and Dunn in the #3-4 spots. How about this lineup:

Hamilton cf
    Freel 3b
    Griffey rf
    Dunn lf
    Phillips 2b
    Hatteberg/Conine 1b
    Gonzalez ss
    Ross c
    <pitcher>

I didn't mind Moeller playing tonight, because Ross hasn't been too impressive at the plate, and by all accounts Moeller is a good defensive catcher. But I hope he doesn't get too much playing time.

Congratulations to Ken Griffey Jr., who passed Wally Post and moved into sole possession of tenth place on the Reds' all-time home run list! He now has 571 career homers, and ranks ninth on MLB's HR list.

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds All-Time Home Run Leaders
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    5. George Foster - 244
    6. Adam Dunn - 209
    7. Eric Davis - 203
    8. Barry Larkin - 198
    9. Vada Pinson - 186
    10. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 173
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Dan Driessen - 133
    17. Reggie Sanders - 125
    18. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    19. Sean Casey - 118
    20. Frank McCormick - 110
    21. Dave Parker - 107
    22. Chris Sabo - 104
    23. Dave Concepcion - 101
    24. Gordy Coleman - 98
    25. Paul O'Neill - 96

I love Ken Griffey Junior

I love when the Reds win

I don't love the way Narron manages this ballclub.

I am soooo happy for Griffey!!! Maybe the bashers will step aside.. because i NEVER gave up on him !!!!!!

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I love Ken Griffey Junior

I love when the Reds win

I don't love the way Narron manages this ballclub.
    I'm sure we all agree with that. I'm really wondering if Narron knows what he's doing after this game.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I agree with hitting Griffey and Dunn in the #3-4 spots. How about this lineup:

Hamilton cf
    Freel 3b
    Griffey rf
    Dunn lf
    Phillips 2b
    Hatteberg/Conine 1b
    Gonzalez ss
    Ross c
    <pitcher>

I didn't mind Moeller playing tonight, because Ross hasn't been too impressive at the plate, and by all accounts Moeller is a good defensive catcher. But I hope he doesn't get too much playing time.
    I like the lineup, however without a real legitimate threat to left handed pitchers you might as well bat Hambo, Griff, and Dunn together.

Turn Off Ads?