Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who are the Hall of Famers that you've actually seen play?

Who are the Hall of Famers that you've actually seen play?

I figured this topic was a bit interesting, and I'm curious to see how many Hall of Fame players our collective list can reach. Apologies in advance go out to people fearing they may give their age away here, and apologies to RFS for opening up a wide platform for Puffy to do what he does best.

Which Hall of Fame players have you had the pleasure of watching play?

Any players inducted already in the 2006 class or previous years count, and all players elected for 2007 also count (i.e. Gwynn and Ripken). Also, by watching play, I mean actually in person, live at the ballpark. Television doesn't count. Pitchers would have actually had to have pitched some part of the game in a live game attended, and hitters would have had to make at least one plate appearance in a live game attended. So watching a game where a Hall of Fame player just sat on the bench also doesn't count.

A chronological list of Hall inductees can be found here.

Also, do you remember any stories or game events from any of the games when you watched one or more Hall of Famers participate?

Obviously my list will grow by a wide margin in the next 10+ years when certain guys such as a Ken Griffey, Jr. are inducted into Cooperstown, but for now, it remains extremely small. I've only seen a grand total of five Hall of Fame players live on the field.
    • Ozzie Smith (STL) @ Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field
    • Ryne Sandberg (CHC) @ Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field
    • Eddie Murray (BAL) @ Comiskey Park II
    • Cal Ripken, Jr. (BAL) @ Comiskey Park II
    • Tony Gwynn (SD) @ Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field

Two guys I just don't know if I ever saw were Dennis Eckersley and Gary Carter. Eckersley played a few games in Cincinnati in 1996-97 with the Cardinals, but I just don't know if I ever attended any of those Reds/Cardinals games during those two years. As for Gary Carter, I would have been too young to remember.

I saw Ozzie Smith, Ryne Sandberg, and Tony Gwynn quite a few times. I only saw Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken, Jr. once each, both in the same game in 1996.

Tony Gwynn was an absolute joy to watch hit, at least when I wasn't bummed when he'd light up Reds pitching. It was amazing how quickly and easily he'd flip the bat out into the strike zone and shoot a line drive into left field. Or, if he got around on one, it was probably heading into a gap somewhere.

Eddie Murray hit 19 career grand slams. I watched one of them live on August 10th, 1996 in new Comiskey when the Orioles went to Chicago to face the White Sox. Murray had an outstanding game, and he finished the night going 3-4 with a grand slam, two singles, and a walk. Murray was near the end of his career in 1996, but for that night he morphed back into the Eddie Murray of his peak.

It's actually amazing how many Hall of Famers and potential future Hall of Famers I saw play in that same Orioles/White Sox game in 1996. Murray and Ripken are already Hall of Famers from that game. Frank Thomas, Roberto Alomar, Mike Mussina, and Rafael Palmeiro also played in that game, though at this point it seems unlikely for Palmeiro to reach Cooperstown for some other well-known reasons.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Who are the Hall of Famers that you've actually seen play?

Clemente
    Banks
    Mays
    Gibson
    Aaron
    Marichal
    Brock
    McCovey
    Catfish Hunter (1972 WS)
    Billy Williams
    Stargell
    Bench
    Morgan
    Jenkins
    Perry
    Fingers
    Seaver
    Jackson
    Carlton
    Schmidt
    Neikro
    Sutton
    Cepeda
    Ryan
    Sparky
    Perez
    Winfield
    Smith
    Carter
    Eckersley
    Sandberg
    Sutter
    Gwynn

Pretty good list, as I go back and review it. I grew up on the west side, going to games at Crosley in the late 60's, and one of my first memories is my Dad pointing out Willie Mays to me and telling me he was the very best baseball player in the game. Dad managed to get tickets to game 7 of the 1972 WS (it was a great game), but we couldn't get then for the "75 series. I did get to go to game 2 of the 1990 WS (Eckersley).

I saw most of the HoF'ers make their way through Riverfront in the 70's and 80's, and moved to Chicago during the late 80's, and went to Wrigley and Old Comiskey (I loved that park!) a bunch of times, Wrigley more than Comiskey (bad 'hood). I remember seeing Clemens pitch for the BoSox back then, so I probably should add Boggs to my list as well.

*I went to a lot of games over the years; so I can't tell you what date I was there that I saw Fergie Jenkins pitch for the Cubs (for example); I'm just sure in my own mind that I did. In fact, I would go out of my way to see Jenkins, Seaver or Ryan, for example, pitch.
    Last edited by Always Red; 05-15-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Morgan, Bench and Perez. As a teenager My uncle would only take me if Soto was pitching. So I only saw a handful of games from the early 80's through the late 90's when I started taking my family. Maybe Sandberg.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Ripken at an Indians game a while back is the only one for me.

My list for the future should also grow quite a bit, but for now it sits at 1.

Much harder question than I originally thought. I started going to games in 1976 but don't remember much until about 1979/1980. I'm sure I've seen the likes of Morgan, Ozzie Smith, Niekro, Ryan, Suter, etc and just don't remember it.

The ones I do remember are Bench, Parez and Gary Carter. Not too many at all really.

However, I have seen Maddux, Jr and Bonds live so I can add them to the list in a few years.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Reds:
    Bench
    Morgan
    Perez
    Seaver

Non-Reds:
    Billy Williams
    Willie McCovey (as a Padre--got to go down on the field for Camera Day and take a picture of him when I was 10--never saw anyone so big before)
    Mike Schmidt (when the Phillies came to town during Pete's hit streak)
    Gary Carter (when he was with the Mets)

Sandy Koufax
    Roberto Clemente
    Warren Spahn
    Ernie Banks
    Eddie Matthews
    Willie Mays
    Bob Gibson
    Hank Aaron
    Frank Robinson
    Juan Marichal
    Don Drysdale
    Harmon Hillebrew
    Willie McCovey
    Billy Williams
    Willie Stargell
    Johnny Bench
    Joe Morgan
    Rod Carew
    Fergie Jenkins
    Gaylord Perry
    Phil Niekro
    Orlando Cepeda
    Nolan Ryan
    Tony Perez
    Bill Mazerowski
    Dave Winfield
    Eddie Murphy
    Cal Ripken
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Cal Ripken Jr., however, that list will grow significantly in the next ten years...Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Bonds, Pedro Martinez, Barry Larkin, Mike Piazza, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa (both may be excluded due to steroids), Vladimir Guerrero, Jim Thome, Chipper Jones/Andruw Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Pretty good list, as I go back and review it. I grew up on the west side, going to games at Crosley in the late 60's, and one of my first memories is my Dad pointing out Willie Mays to me and telling me he was the very best baseball player in the game. Dad managed to get tickets to game 7 of the 1972 WS (it was a great game), but we couldn't get then for the "75 series. I did get to go to game 2 of the 1990 WS (Eckersley).

I saw most of the HoF'ers make their way through Riverfront in the 70's and 80's, and moved to Chicago during the late 80's, and went to Wrigley and Old Comiskey (I loved that park!) a bunch of times, Wrigley more than Comiskey (bad 'hood). I remember seeing Clemens pitch for the BoSox back then, so I probably should add Boggs to my list as well.

*I went to a lot of games over the years; so I can't tell you what date I was there that I saw Fergie Jenkins pitch for the Cubs (for example); I'm just sure in my own mind that I did. In fact, I would go out of my way to see Jenkins, Seaver or Ryan, for example, pitch.
    Wow, over 30 Hall of Famers is impressive, and you've got a couple AL players on your list too.

I definitely know what you mean by going out of your way to see certain guys play, especially pitchers. I've gone out of my way to see Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson, and Tom Glavine pitch. I tried to go out of my way to see Clemens pitch here at GABP a few years back, but the game sold out before I could get tickets. In fact, that game was the only time I ever tried to attend a baseball game and was unable to land tickets due to a sellout.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Reds: Bench, Perez, Morgan, Rose, Seaver.

Willie Stargell, Ozzie Smith, Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Gary Carter, Nolan Ryan, Tony Gwynn, Ryne Sandberg, Don Sutton - all the NL HOFs since ~1975.

Fisk and Yaz at Riverfront game 5 1975 World series.

I went to college in Boston ( 1982-1986 ) and saw Boggs & Clemens play several times. I can't recall which other AL HOFs I saw play.

I once as a child was at a convention where Harmon Killebrew gave a motivational speech!

Greatest athlete I had the priviledge of seeing play in person was Mario Lemieux. Even after multiple back surgeries and treatment for lymphoma he was obviously far far better than anyone on the ice when I saw him play in ~2000.

Pete Rose*
    Davey Concepcion*
    Sparky Anderson
    Johnny Bench
    Steve Carlton
    Gary Carter
    Dennis Eckersley
    Fergie Jenkins
    Tommy Lasorda
    Phil Niekro
    Tony Perez
    Frank Robinson
    Nolan Ryan
    Ryne Sandberg
    Mike Schmidt
    Tom Seaver
    Ozzie Smith
    Bruce Sutter
    Dave Winfield

*Hooligans HOF
    ...And this one belongs to the Reds!!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

My list is a lot shorter than I'd like (for an old guy like me) I only saw one game live when I was a kid in the US, but afterwards I was a regular in Winter Ball in Puerto Rico and Venezuela. Quite a few HOFers honed their skills there. Carew actually was a player-manager and Mike Schmidt credits his winter ball experience for finding the swing that put him in the HOF.

Al Kaline
    Reggie Jackson (PR)
    Roberto Clemente (PR)
    Mike Schmidt (PR)
    Tony Perez (PR)
    Rod Carew (Ven)
    Ryne Sandberg (Ven)
    Luis Aparicio (Ven)

That's all I can remember (for now).
    (I think Winfield was in PR, but he didn't play on my favorite team)..
    Last edited by oneupper; 05-15-2007 at 09:46 PM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Tony Perez
    Joe Morgan
    Johnny Bench
    Cal Ripken Jr (AAA & Majors)
    Eddie Murray (AAA)
    Ozzie Smith

(Barry Larkin - soon to be)
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Ted Williams
    Carl Yastrzemski
    Carlton Fisk
    Wade Boggs
    Orlando Cepeda
    Dennis Eckersley
    Fergie Jenkins
    Whitey Ford
    Mickey Mantle
    Yogi Berra
    Luis Aparicio
    Frank Robinson
    Brooks Robinson
    Jim Palmer
    Al Kaline
    Catfish Hunter
    Reggie Jackson
    Joe Morgan
    Johnny Bench
    Tony Perez
    Joe Morgan
    Hank Aaron
    Eddie Mathews
    Phil Niekro
    Sandy Koufax (Sammy Ellis beat him 1-0 at Crosley Field)
    Don Drysdale
    Don Sutton
    Billy Williams
    Ryne Sandberg
    Ernie Banks
    Steve Carlton
    Jim Bunning
    Mike Schmidt
    Tom Seaver
    Willie Stargell
    Roberto Clemente
    Hoyt Wilhelm
    Rollie Fingers
    Bob Gibson
    Willie Mays
    Willie McCovey
    Juan Marichal
    Ozzie Smith
    Bill Mazeroski
    Eddie Murray
    Jim Palmer
    Waite Hoyte (Well, I listened to him)
    Eppa Rixey (Okay, I was in an English class with his grandson in junior high in Indian Hill)
    Tommy Lasorda
    Sparky Anderson
    Earl Weaver

Also, Jerry Garcia, Mick Jagger, Ozzie Osborne, Frank Zappa, Willie Nelson, B.B. King, and Duane Allman.
    Last edited by Spitball; 05-16-2007 at 12:03 AM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Sandy Koufax
    Roberto Clemente
    Warren Spahn
    Ernie Banks
    Eddie Matthews
    Willie Mays
    Bob Gibson
    Hank Aaron
    Frank Robinson
    Juan Marichal
    Don Drysdale