Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What is a fan's duty?

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

What is a fan's duty?

Not sure if this should go here or in the Non-Baseball section, but since it's somewhat related, I figured I'd start here.

I'm putting together an oral presentation for my English 101 class. The assignment was to put together a speech with some visuals about a community that you belong to.

I, of course, chose the community of Reds fans. One of the questions I have to answer in my little speech is what my role in it is. My role, obviously, is that of a fan/consumer.

So, I'd kind of like to get some thoughts from you guys what you think the role or duty of a fan is. Not just for this team, but for any team.

I think that it's to stick with them through not only the highs, but also the lows(hello 2007 Reds). And also to help carry on the traditions your team holds.

I know theres more to it, but I guess that's why I'm asking for some insight from others

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is a fan's duty?

Maybe try to get the kids in your every day life introduced to baseball? It seems like the younger kids are into other sports or computer games...not baseball.

It's 1:00 AM and I should be sleeping...this is the best I could come up with.

Don't waste the ticket.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

From a fan's perspective, our job is to enjoy the game.
    - as youths, mimicking a favorite players batting stance
    - talking baseball with dear old Dad
    - rapping endlessly on a message board about the woes of our team
    - realizing that baseball is a component of what makes life a liitle more enjoyable

From the League's perspective:
    - Buy tickets, merchandise, soda, brats, jerseys and hats.

'tis a business after all.
    Witty signature.

To be honest I dont think there is a good answer for you. A fan's duty is what he/she wants to do. Am I a lesser of a fan than someone else if I go to half as many games as they do? For example go down to a bengals tailgate session and you will find many people who will claim that they are bigger fans than you because they had season tickets during all the bad years. It is also interesting when someone tells you that he/she is a bigger fan because they have been a fan longer. I guess what I would say is a fan does whatever it takes to make the game fun for them. You can be a stat guy and break down all mind numbing kinds of stats. You can be a guy who likes to go down to 5-10 games, drink a few beers, eat a few hotdogs, and enjoy the baseball game. You can be a fan who lives and dies with every pitch. But if you enjoy it then good for you.

Buy tickets when they're good; vanish when they suck. Vote with your dollar. Always.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

The duty of a fan is fanaticism. Without fanaticism, you aren't a fan. You're a dabbler.

What's fanaticism? That differs by person. For some, it's living and dying on the fortunes of your team. For others, it's enjoying the game for its own sake. Maybe sharing its history over pints at the pub. Or teaching a child how to catch and throw.

Once you know what it is about baseball that you're fanatical about, then your duty is to enjoy that part of it to your heart's content.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Man, I don't have a link to it offhand, but Bill Simmons, as much as I hate him, semi-recently wrote an excellent article on the rules of fandom for Espn Page 2. You should check his archive and find it. Should give you some really good ammo for your paper.

Be loyal. Not blind loyalty, though. Like FCB said, if they suck, vote with your dollar. But always be willing to forgive them next season.

And be knowledgeable. Know who is on the team, where they play, and what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
    {strokes beard and grunts approval}
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-18-2007 at 03:18 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?