Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 74

Thread: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

  1. #46
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    On a side note, Tubby just hired Timberwolves assistant Vince Jackson for the same position. He was an assistant under Pitino at Louisville. His other two assistants are Ron Jirsa(fired at Marshall but better known for replacing Smith at Georgia before Harrick), and his son Saul Smith.

    For those who are arguing about how big a deal this is, the best comparison I can give is landing Jamal Mashburn after Suttongate. The program has declined under Tubby, similar to the way IU declined under Mike Davis and UNC almost fell under Matt Doherty.

    Also, I have seen Patterson play at Charleston in the tournament and I will say for those who haven't seen him that the kid is a beast. Whether that will translate to the collegiate level is another story. The only thing that concerns me with Patterson is his size and matching up against taller players, especially centers if he plays there. He is wide enough, as his body is built for rebounding. Many Florida fans were comparing him to Al Horford and I think that comparison fits.

    As far as personality goes, he is very quiet and mature, unlike the other player at Huntington High. His parents I think have done a good job of keeping him in check, and I think Kentucky fans will love Patterson if they haven't already.

    For those who want to question Kentucky fans, Huntington High played two games at Memorial Colliseum back last year, one against Lexington Catholic and the other against Scott County. The television broadcast focused more on Patterson than Mayo, and the fans were doing their part to woo Patterson to Kentucky, even though he was an opposing player.
    For all I have heard about PP, I havent heard a scouting report.
    Does the kid have a jump shot or is he mainly banger ?
    A Mashburn or Kenny Walker ? Or who does the kid compare to style wise ?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    I really thought we had him. I thought when Lucas landed here, Patterson was on the way. Nice pickup, and congrats. He's gonna be a good one.
    Thanks and I thought he was FLA bound too. I really think the BD to the NBA played a part in it.Even if a rumour only, it still plays on a kids mind.

  4. #48
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm just saying it's not a lock. Not even close.

    I doubt many UCLA fans were screaming "We're back!" after signing a top recruit and getting Ben Howland. UNC fans probably did with Roy, but he brought a track record of being an elite coach with him.

    I don't think I saw any Indiana fans screaming "We're back!" after getting Gordon, either.
    Ky fans get a lot of grief for wanting the Cats to win every year(by win...I mean as an elite).Really isnt that the way all fans are?
    I want as most on this board....the Reds to win every year.I want the KY football team to win every year. Do they ? No ! But we can still want it as fans. The difference is when teams have a tradition of winning....they are pegged as spoiled etc such as NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, etc.
    I am sure many Yankee fans said "we're back" when they signed A-rod.
    Same for Cowboy fans when Tuna took over.
    Maybe Billy Clyde doesnt have the record Roy did at UNC as you said, however....most arent worried about his past record but rather where he can take this current team. now and in the future.
    The key to remember is , every UK fan doesnt say they want a Championship trophy or else the season is a failure. So by saying we are back is no different than the bengals fans after signing Palmer etc.
    It is mainly saying we are back to being players and not setting on the sidelines hopefully.
    Do I think Billy Clyde will take this team to the Final Four next year. Odds are definitely against it.However....I believe UK is "back" as in on track !
    BTW, I am sure if you would have checked out UCLA and IU boards after events you described...and you would find fans saying the same thing.
    It's a fan's nature to be excited.

  5. #49
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,898

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Most I have heard predict 2.
    Yesterday, Patterson initially stated that he would be at UK at least two years. Later during the day (after being pressed again by reporters), he admitted that if he were projected in the top 3 of the NBA draft then he would have to revisit the decision.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  6. #50
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Yesterday, Patterson initially stated that he would be at UK at least two years. Later during the day (after being pressed again by reporters), he admitted that if he were projected in the top 3 of the NBA draft then he would have to revisit the decision.
    As one reporter said yesterday...."let's hope he has a good year......but not too good"

  7. #51
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    For all I have heard about PP, I havent heard a scouting report.
    Does the kid have a jump shot or is he mainly banger ?
    A Mashburn or Kenny Walker ? Or who does the kid compare to style wise ?
    I would compare him to Al Horford or Emeka Okafor.

    He is mostly a banger, but I think he has some turnaround ability. His biggest strengths are his defensive presence and his speed. For somebody who is 6'8, he can really move up and down the court.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  8. #52
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I would compare him to Al Horford or Emeka Okafor.

    He is mostly a banger, but I think he has some turnaround ability. His biggest strengths are his defensive presence and his speed. For somebody who is 6'8, he can really move up and down the court.
    Thanks.....in other words.....a bigger much better version of Winston Bennett ?

  9. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Really had to reach for that one, huh?
    With the history of Kentucky basketball its dead on.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  10. #54
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    With the history of Kentucky basketball its dead on.
    Wow, haha, the past 18 years or so and 2 national championships represented by 2 coaches of impeccable character don't pardon us from the sins of Sutton? MEA CULPA. MEA CULPA.

    Who's your team? Indiana? Is your program dirty since we know what skeleton's are in Kelvin Sampson's closet and HE'S THE CURRENT COACH!! Wow, how'd you REALLY get Eric Gordon, HMMMM?



    Garbage.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-19-2007 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  11. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Wow, haha, the past 18 years or so and 2 national championships represented by 2 coaches of impeccable character don't pardon us from the sins of Sutton? MEA CULPA. MEA CULPA.

    Who's your team? Indiana? Is your program dirty since we know what skeleton's are in Kelvin Sampson's closet and HE'S THE CURRENT COACH!! Wow, how'd you REALLY get Eric Gordon, HMMMM?



    Garbage.
    I think the sins go back a little further than Sutton but thats just hear say. Gordon just didnt want to deal with the Mike Davis situation and thats pretty much why Oden and Conley went to OSU. Sampson made too many phone calls, he didnt send satchels full of money to players.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  12. #56
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think the sins go back a little further than Sutton but thats just hear say. Gordon just didnt want to deal with the Mike Davis situation and thats pretty much why Oden and Conley went to OSU. Sampson made too many phone calls, he didnt send satchels full of money to players.
    Indiana and Kentucky both have one thing in common. Both Mike Davis and Tubby Smith should have been shown the door a year before they were let go.

    If both would have happened, I doubt you would have seen Oden and Conley playing for the Buckeyes.(UK and IU would have been the frontrunners, IMO)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  13. #57
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Indiana and Kentucky both have one thing in common. Both Mike Davis and Tubby Smith should have been shown the door a year before they were let go.

    If both would have happened, I doubt you would have seen Oden and Conley playing for the Buckeyes.(UK and IU would have been the frontrunners, IMO)
    Excellent point on both fronts.

  14. #58
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Also, Kentucky is in the final three for the 7th ranked player in the nation(no 1 PG) Brandon Jennings. Jennings had originally committed to USC but backed out. Arizona and UConn are still in the running.

    Jennings plays for Oak Hill right now, but has ties to Compton, California as well. Considering the players that went to Oak Hill that have went on to Kentucky and Tayshaun Prince being from Compton, you have to like our chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  15. #59
    GOREDSGO32
    Guest

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    I'm sure UK's get will do about as good as the other overrated grabs. I remember after getting the #1 class of 04, UK was supposed to have 3 titles by now.

  16. #60
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Kentucky lands Patrick Patterson

    Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    I'm sure UK's get will do about as good as the other overrated grabs. I remember after getting the #1 class of 04, UK was supposed to have 3 titles by now.
    Well, at least get back to the final four, which is why Tubby was ran out on a rail.

    Not to mention that class may have had the most character issues of any Kentucky team I have ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25