Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How does the Mexican League (AAA) fit into baseball?

How does the Mexican League (AAA) fit into baseball?

Is it like the Japanese league where it has nothing at to do with the Majors? Are there players in the league that are under contract to Major League teams?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: How does the Mexican League (AAA) fit into baseball?

ED - I've seen instances where clubs will "loan" a player out to a Mexican Club - mostly its a minor league journeyman. I'm not sure what the exact circumstances are, but I'm sure the MLB club still controls their rights but they play for that particular Mexican Club.

But for all purposes, yes it's just like the Japanese League. Totally independent of MLB. You will see some guys get picked up from time to time from the Mexican League (Hello Erubiel Durazo - who's back there playing right now) but it's pretty rare that someone does and makes a major league roster.

And I think the AAA designation (I've seen MiLB.com listing it as such) is a huge stretch. We're talking maybe High A to AA at the most.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    And I think the AAA designation (I've seen MiLB.com listing it as such) is a huge stretch. We're talking maybe High A to AA at the most.
    I'd say this is about true, but you will find some AAAA players who simply aren't prospects in the US anymore latch on to a Mexican team, particularly Latin players (obvious reasons).

The league had its glory days and has its heroes. Hector Espino is considered the greatest Mexican player ever and he never played in the big leagues (brief stint in the Cardinals' system...supposedly couldn't take the racism in the US).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Where's Danny Serafini?

He's a Mexican League call up!
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The Mexican League was very good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The Mexican League was very good to me!
    What was the name of the pitcher who had such great success for the Dodgers about 30 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    What was the name of the pitcher who had such great success for the Dodgers about 30 years ago?

That would be Fernando Valenzula. 30 years sheesh time freakin flies
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Reading your replies just reminded me of a day back in 1990 when I ran into a kid (about 26 years old at the time). He was in the "Houston Astros Baseball Club", but was on his way to the Mexican League. I think he was a local (Gresham, Oregon), and he was definitely a pitcher. (I sold him some stuff and filled out a credit app, so I had to have his employer's name, phone number, etc.) I remember looking for his name over the next couple of years, and I think he got a few innings in the Majors, but never much more than that.

I wonder if you do get sent to the Mexican League, it's kind of out-of-sight-out-of-mind.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?