Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Grade Jerry Narron (sentiments re-evaluated)

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • A - Narron is making an excellent early case for Manager of the Year - EXTEND HIM YESTERDAY!

1 0.97%
  • B - He's doing a damn good job. Could be better, but he's got his finger on the pulse of this team.

1 0.97%
  • C - Right in that meaty part of the bell curve, usually does the best with what he has.

18 17.48%
  • D - Narron has just about had it, but I'm not ready to close the book on him yet.

29 28.16%
  • F-129 pitches-Excellent microcosm-Disastrous decisions abound and Narron must be fired immediately.

54 52.43%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grade Jerry Narron (sentiments re-evaluated)

Grade Jerry Narron (sentiments re-evaluated)

Many of us have expressed a desire to revise our grades and I feel the numbers in the current poll don't adequately or accurately express the sentiments of RedsZone towards the managerial prowess--or lack thereof--of Jerry Narron.

That being said, please provide your updated grade for Narron, or select the same grade again if your feelings remain unchanged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grade Jerry Narron (sentiments re-evaluated)

I gave him a C last year.

He gets an F in 2007.

D last year. This year, without hesitation, eff.

F--
    Most Vottomatic Player

For the record, I gave him a D in the initial poll which I downgraded to an F in this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I'm a teacher, so I feel justified in giving him a solid F. No "bonus work" either; this season was his second chance.

You didn't give me an option that I like. He's still "meah". I could take him or leave him. I'm in between your C and D options, I think they call that a "C-".

As someone else has said, it's not number of pitches that hurts pitchers arms, it's the breakdown of mechanics. And yes that breakdown is caused by tiredness which is caused by number of pitches, but it's not the # it's mechanics. I'm no expert on Bronson's mechanics, but to me they still looked pretty crisp and tight. And it's not like he got knocked around that last inning. He said this after the game:
    "I felt as fresh as a daisy?"
    We do know that there are times this year when both Harang and Arroyo have asked to come out of the game (both times Narron was ripped on Redszone for taking them out). So knowing that they have been honest with him when they are tired, maybe some trust has developed there. And as long as Pole isn't seeing anything bad in their mechanics Narron is allowing them to stay in the game.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 05-17-2007 at 09:45 AM.

Heck I don't know. Does it really matter? This team is short on talent. That's the primary culprit for the suckitude in my opinion. Sure, Narron isn't helping any but I don't think firing him suddenly makes the team better.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Narron gets paid whether he manages or not. His C- performance isn't bad enough to justify paying two managers to guide this team to a finish near the bottom of the NL Central.
    /r/reds

Man Pills

No manager could turn this wreck of a team around. Even to mediocrity. It has all the inexorability of a dead whale to reach the sea's bottom. Why hire another hermit crab to slow its descent?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No manager could turn this wreck of a team around. Even to mediocrity. It has all the inexorability of a dead whale to reach the sea's bottom. Why hire another hermit crab to slow its descent?
    Let him finish out the season and start the rebuild this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Narron gets paid whether he manages or not.
    Boy ain't that the truth, I concur, that has been my observation to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

Because at some point in time, if this team is ever going to be good again, a change in corporate culture must take place. Someone has to make it clear from the top on down that losing/failing simply is not acceptable.

Now, will firing Narron but leaving WK at the helm fix that? Doubtful. You have to try however and you have absolutely nothing to lose by firing Narron.

I personally would follow that move by making my zest for finding a new manager match the zest they showed in upgrading the broadcasting team.
    Secondly, I would clean house of any players who were not 100% on board with that particular mindset no matter their accomplishments on the field.

I would move guys who may be great producers at a low cost, I would move nice guys who were ok with losing, I would move fan favorites. I would move anyone who wasn't 100% ready to drink whatever kool-aid my owner and I were serving. You don't give them away if they have value obviously but you trade them and start to mold the groups collective personality to fit the culture the owner projects.

No one has the talent of the early 70's A's teams anymore, so the argument that superior talent will win out, group chemistry be dammned doesn't apply in the realities of MLB right now imo.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Gave him an F last year, gets another one this year.

I just want a manager who will put our guys in situations with the chance to possibly succeed, rather than situations with the only outcome being failure.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Because at some point in time, if this team is ever going to be good again, a change in corporate culture must take place. Someone has to make it clear from the top on down that losing/failing simply is not acceptable.

Now, will firing Narron but leaving WK at the helm fix that? Doubtful. You have to try however and you have absolutely nothing to lose by firing Narron.

I personally would follow that move by making my zest for finding a new manager match the zest they showed in upgrading the broadcasting team.
    Secondly, I would clean house of any players who were not 100% on board with that particular mindset no matter their accomplishments on the field.

I would move guys who may be great producers at a low cost, I would move nice guys who were ok with losing, I would move fan favorites. I would move anyone who wasn't 100% ready to drink whatever kool-aid my owner and I were serving. You don't give them away if they have value obviously but you trade them and start to mold the groups collective personality to fit the culture the owner projects.

No one has the talent of the early 70's A's teams anymore, so the argument that superior talent will win out, group chemistry be dammned doesn't apply in the realities of MLB right now imo.

I'll take my chances with a real #3 starter (available this offseason, btw, and will be again this offseason) and a real bullpen.

Narron would just be along for the ride.

Jerry Narron would not undo the work of a smart GM. Similarly, no manager--no matter how awesome--could move this team any more than one or two games up.

Incidentally, I think Wayne HAS been purging players that don't fit his mindset (Larue, Hancock, Kearns, Lopez), but you see where that's gotten us so far.

This team needs a serious, serious talent infusion. That culture-shaping stuff can wait.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-17-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Turn Off Ads?