Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Evaluate this trade

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Evaluate this trade

    I'm in a 12 team Yahoo points league and have gotten an interesting trade offer that I'm thinking about. In our league, the points categories (for pitching) are:

    IP (3)
    W (5)
    L (-2)
    SV (10)
    ER (-2)
    BB (-2)
    K (2)
    HLD (5)

    Basically saves got so many points because the commissioner and his buddy had a lot of closers after the draft (a load of crap really, I know). Anyways, I have a pretty strong team and am currently sitting either first or second every day depending on how my team does. My current pitching staff is (up to 4 DL spots don't count against me):

    SP: Roy Oswalt
    SP: Braden Looper
    SP: Justin Verlander
    SP: Tim Hudson
    SP: Felix Hernandez

    RP: Ryan Dempster
    RP: Dan Wheeler
    RP: Hideki Okajima

    BN:Tom Glavine
    BN: Ian Snell
    BN: Mark Buehrle

    DL: Phil Hughes
    DL: Pedro Martinez

    My pitching staff is decent except for relievers where, since saves and holds weren't worth much, I didn't draft anyone other than BJ Ryan and Dempster. So I have been trying to dangle a starter or Josh Hamilton out there to get a closer.

    Here was a trade offered to me:

    I trade: Verlander
    They trade: Mariano Rivera

    I know Rivera has struggled so far this year but it seems like 3 apparences have really changed his stats (1.2 innings, 9 ER - his other appearences are 12 IP, 1 ER).

    So do you think this is worth the risk? Verlander has been a solid starter but I'd keep Oswalt, Hudson, and Hernandez before him. Plus, with his delivery, I think him and Hernandez could both be prone to arm injuries.

    Any opinions appreciated...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Evaluate this trade

    With saves meaning so much in this league, you pull the trigger on this deal.

  4. #3
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: Evaluate this trade

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    With saves meaning so much in this league, you pull the trigger on this deal.
    Yes, saves are worth twice as much as Wins. Make the trade.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    398

    Re: Evaluate this trade

    I would agree...you've also got help coming eventually if your SP goes down with Hughes and Pedro

  6. #5
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: Evaluate this trade

    Basically saves got so many points because the commissioner and his buddy had a lot of closers after the draft (a load of crap really, I know).
    So the commissioner changed the scoring system after the draft? That's cheating, pure and simple. I would quit that league. Trade all of your players to the best non-commissioner-or-buddy team and get out, because if the guy cheated once, he's bound to cheat again.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: Evaluate this trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    So the commissioner changed the scoring system after the draft? That's cheating, pure and simple. I would quit that league. Trade all of your players to the best non-commissioner-or-buddy team and get out, because if the guy cheated once, he's bound to cheat again.

    I raised a huge stink about it, a very huge one. This was already after I raised a stink about the whole unlimited moves category. We had most of the same guys last year and I was commissioner but this spring/summer I only have internet access at work so I decided not to be commissioner letting the other guy do it and he had the best players from the league last year along with some of his buddies. His buddies have been underwhelming in terms of what they think they can get in trades (honestly I can't recall a single trade yet in the league) and what values they give players.

    People made fun of me for taking Adam Dunn high in the draft but based on the stat categories for offense (HR, RBI, H, BB, R to name a few) Dunn is a monster. There is no penalty for BA or SO totals. And sure enough Dunn has been a top scorer. I picked Pedro and Hughes off the waiver wire without giving up my priority (still #1) and I had the best draft I've ever had. I really have only made a few minor waiver wire moves and I have that pitching staff plus an offense consisting of Prince Fielder, Miguel Cabrera, Hafner, Dunn, Hanley Ramirez, Torii Hunter, Franceour.

    I'd almost did exactly what you said, quit and trade to my best friend, but my team is so good that despite the changes they made I'm still #1 or #2 every day so far.

  8. #7
    I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Evaluate this trade

    You have to do the trade based on the cats. My advice is don't waste any more time in this league, there are too many quality leagues out there. I quit a league this week which I had originally joined because I had one more spot open on my extra Yahoo ID as the season was about to start. The commish has 2 teams, he made 5 trades between those 2 teams already, didn't allow the full trade time-he just pushed his trades through, and to top it all off he had the same odd word in his Yahoo ID's for both teams. When I called him on it he denied it but the next day one of the teams ID's had been removed. I really enjoy fantasy sports and honest competition but have never understood cheating to win at it.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

  9. #8
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,000

    Re: Evaluate this trade

    I would do it. The Yankees always get off to a slow start. Do it.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

  10. #9
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: Evaluate this trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I raised a huge stink about it, a very huge one. This was already after I raised a stink about the whole unlimited moves category. We had most of the same guys last year and I was commissioner but this spring/summer I only have internet access at work so I decided not to be commissioner letting the other guy do it and he had the best players from the league last year along with some of his buddies. His buddies have been underwhelming in terms of what they think they can get in trades (honestly I can't recall a single trade yet in the league) and what values they give players.

    People made fun of me for taking Adam Dunn high in the draft but based on the stat categories for offense (HR, RBI, H, BB, R to name a few) Dunn is a monster. There is no penalty for BA or SO totals. And sure enough Dunn has been a top scorer. I picked Pedro and Hughes off the waiver wire without giving up my priority (still #1) and I had the best draft I've ever had. I really have only made a few minor waiver wire moves and I have that pitching staff plus an offense consisting of Prince Fielder, Miguel Cabrera, Hafner, Dunn, Hanley Ramirez, Torii Hunter, Franceour.

    I'd almost did exactly what you said, quit and trade to my best friend, but my team is so good that despite the changes they made I'm still #1 or #2 every day so far.
    If you're doing well, stick with it, but I think it will just prompt the commish to tweak the rules against you (like maybe retroactively penalizing you for Ks).

    Anyway, good luck!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  11. #10
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Evaluate this trade

    In a 12-team league with saves so highly valued, I would do it.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25