Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Evaluate This Trade Part 36

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Evaluate This Trade Part 36

I'll keep it short.

I traded Jason Marquis away for Garrett Atkins.

How did I do?

Both are due for major corrections. I already had a staff of Cole Hamels, Erik Bedard, John Maine, Scott Kazmir, Tom Gorzelanny, Tim Lincecum and Phil Hughes, so I had the depth.

My only other third baseman was Chipper Jones and as great as he is, the injury bug scares me.

Be brutally honest with me.

Re: Evaluate This Trade Part 36

Good deal. Atkins will provide more value over the balance of the season. Marquis will come back to earth, IMO. Now you have protection in case Chipper gets hurt.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I think it's a fantastic trade, as long as your very young pitching staff stays healthy. Perfect example of selling high and IMO at the right time, of course I couldn't be more biased against players wearing a Cub uniform
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I couldn't be more biased against players wearing a Cub uniform
    My friend kept telling me, "When the weather turns, so does the Cubs' pitching."

Here is what bothered me with Marquis: His BABIP was something like .202, which he can't sustain. Also- he is only averaging close to 4 strikeouts per 9.

That just seems like a ton of balls being hit right at somebody.

Man, I hope Atkins turns it around soon. I've got a hole at 2B (Polanco), and waiting-for-it guys at 1B (Berkman) and OF (Burrell). I got Dan Johnson and Jack Cust to bridge the gap there, but I need something from 3B to save my season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Johnny, you are going to be waiting a lifetime for Burrell.

He has a few problems, the biggest being his manager is an idiot (See: Myers, Brett).

First of all, Manuel bats Utley and Howard- two lefties- back to back, which means that Burrell, who normally hits right behind them never sees a lefty late in the game, and he absolutely kills left handers. The smart thing would be to sandwich Burrell between them, because then the opposing manager would leave the lefty in to face Burrell.

Also- Burrell always gets removed late in the game, costing you at bats. It's an epidemic with Charlie Manuel.

As well, most fantasy leagues don't know how to handle a guy like Burrell because his value comes from the fact that he walks a ton.

Our league is a points league that incorporates walks, so even when BUrrell was hitting .230, he was getting on base at a .350 clip, so he doesn't hurt you as much.

In a category league, I wouldn't try and let someone else manage the headache that is having him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Johnny, you are going to be waiting a lifetime for Burrell.

He has a few problems, the biggest being his manager is an idiot (See: Myers, Brett).

First of all, Manuel bats Utley and Howard- two lefties- back to back, which means that Burrell, who normally hits right behind them never sees a lefty late in the game, and he absolutely kills left handers. The smart thing would be to sandwich Burrell between them, because then the opposing manager would leave the lefty in to face Burrell.

Also- Burrell always gets removed late in the game, costing you at bats. It's an epidemic with Charlie Manuel.

As well, most fantasy leagues don't know how to handle a guy like Burrell because his value comes from the fact that he walks a ton.

Our league is a points league that incorporates walks, so even when BUrrell was hitting .230, he was getting on base at a .350 clip, so he doesn't hurt you as much.

In a category league, I wouldn't try and let someone else manage the headache that is having him.
    It's a points league, so he's still scoring for me. The only thing I'm concerned about is his loss of power this season. I know he'll end up with at least 30 HR and close to 100 RBIs, but waiting for him to start getting on a roll is extremely tough.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I think Atkins will come on strong soon. He was a stud for me last year, rode him and good pitching to a title...
    I'm stuck waiting on Berkman as well...although he's starting to come around as of late...

That's a great deal for you. Chipper Jones will see less and less playing time as his health wears down this year. I'd trade him while he's at his peak.

If I was you, I'd scratch the serial number off of Atkins in case he gets reported as being stolen.

When I look back on it, I feel kinda bad. Even if Atkins doesn't hit, I was going to cut Marquis as soon as the wheels came off, which has been the last two starts.

Unless it was a trade with your wife, best friend, or dog, don't feel guilty. In fact, when there's only about a week left in the league, feel free to talk trash about it.

Turn Off Ads?