Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hughes vs. Lincecum

Hughes vs. Lincecum

Which would you rather have for the rest of the year, Phil Hughes or Tim Lincecum?

I've got Hughes stashed on my DL, but Lincecum is available...only one rotation spot unless I dump Daniel Cabrera...which I'm considering...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hughes vs. Lincecum

lincecum, for sure
    Go BLUE!!!

Hughes is pitching for a much, much better team. I'd rather have him, as he should rack up more wins.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It's Lincecum for me, simply because he'll strike out more.

Of course, it all depends on your scoring system.

I personally think wins are flukey, and even if a pitcher plays on the best team, too many things have to fall into place for me to make that category a deciding factor.

In theory, more strikeouts could mean less balls in play so other categories could come into play as well for Lincecum.

Lincecum looked dominating against Houston. Hughes is coming back from a hamstring injury, and for pitchers, that can be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    It's Lincecum for me, simply because he'll strike out more.

Of course, it all depends on your scoring system.

I personally think wins are flukey, and even if a pitcher plays on the best team, too many things have to fall into place for me to make that category a deciding factor.

In theory, more strikeouts could mean less balls in play so other categories could come into play as well for Lincecum.

Lincecum looked dominating against Houston. Hughes is coming back from a hamstring injury, and for pitchers, that can be huge.
    Wins are a luck-based category, but they are really a function of the pitcher and the team offense and bullpen. The Yankees will provide better run support and better bullpen protection than the Giants, so I like Hughes chances of winning more games.

Still, if the question is really "Hughes, Lincecum, or Cabrera", and that's an easy answer -- dump Cabrera.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'd go for Lincecum, personally. Hughes looks awesome, but as noted, he's injured--not to mention that he was brought up out of desperation. The Yankees will be healthier in addition to having Clemens by the time Hughes is back.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

they are really a function of the pitcher and the team offense and bullpen.
    This is why next year we aren't giving points for the pinball categories like wins, losses, saves.

I realize the question was who was better than Hughes and Lincecum- I still like Tim better- but I'm over this stuff where my guys throws 8 scoreless innings and gets a no decision and my opponent's releiver blows a save but gets a win. Over it.

We should award pitchers for how they pitch, not for how their offense does.

Lincecum for sure. He's filthy, and as it can be argued that Hughes pitches for the better offense, he also pitches AGAINST better offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    This is why next year we aren't giving points for the pinball categories like wins, losses, saves.

I realize the question was who was better than Hughes and Lincecum- I still like Tim better- but I'm over this stuff where my guys throws 8 scoreless innings and gets a no decision and my opponent's releiver blows a save but gets a win. Over it.

We should award pitchers for how they pitch, not for how their offense does.
    I chopped Wins from 10 to 8 points and Losses from -5 to -3 in my league. It narrowed the gap between the elite pitchers and the "just" very good ones.

Turn Off Ads?