Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BA: Mock First Round

BA: Mock First Round

They have the Reds picking 3rd baseman Kevin Ahrens he is from Texas (no surprise). But the interesting thing is that Catcher Matt Wieters would still be available in their Mock Draft when the Reds pick. They have Wieters going to St. Louis at 18 because he is a Boris client. They also say the Reds might be willing to deal with Boras.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: BA: Mock First Round

Funny - I totally called that last week.

Frankly - it shouldn't be that shocking to see the Reds leaning towards Texas for the sixth straight time in the 1st round, Given their recent history. Schramek, Wagner, Bailey, Bruce & Stubbs. Moseley in 2000 nearly makes it 6 out of 7 years by from Texarkana - about as close as you could be to the state of Texas without setting foot in it. Someone in the Reds scouting office has some serious man crushes on the talent coming from the Lone Star State.

If Wieters is there, you pick him.

In fact, the Reds probably need to approach the draft with the conviction that, if a top-rated guy falls, they pounce. It may cost you money, but it's a chance to snag superstar talent for far less than you'd ever pay on the free agent market.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If Wieters is there, you pick him.

In fact, the Reds probably need to approach the draft with the conviction that, if a top-rated guy falls, they pounce. It may cost you money, but it's a chance to snag superstar talent for far less than you'd ever pay on the free agent market.
    Familiar refrain, but it always falls on deaf ears. I'd put Brackman in the same category as Wieters. Big upside, big $$$, big news. This will be an especially difficult year for the Reds to break the bank on their #1 selection because they have more high picks than ever.

No one is going to argue that making money no object in the draft is a bad idea, and I would definitely be pumped by Wieters or Brackman. But I think we'd all be mightily, pleasantly surprised if the Reds went that route.

Ahrens -- I like the video on the kid. Switch hitters are a good thing. As the scouting report says, he probably ends up growing out of SS.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Ahrens -- I like the video on the kid. Switch hitters are a good thing. As the scouting report says, he probably ends up growing out of SS.
    Here's what I don't get. If Dominguez is there then why pick Ahrens? I haven't seen Ahrens listed higher anywhere and Dominguez is supposed to be like a young Brooks Robinson over at the hot corner to boot (fitting in with the supposed defensive push). That said, we don't know the Reds' board and perhaps BA has heard they've got a thing for Ahrens.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Here's what I don't get. If Dominguez is there then why pick Ahrens? I haven't seen Ahrens listed higher anywhere and Dominguez is supposed to be like a young Brooks Robinson over at the hot corner to boot (fitting in with the supposed defensive push). That said, we don't know the Reds' board and perhaps BA has heard they've got a thing for Ahrens.
    Kinda like last year, when everyone knew the Reds were taking Stubbs from the first mock to the actual draft.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Familiar refrain, but it always falls on deaf ears. I'd put Brackman in the same category as Wieters. Big upside, big $$$, big news. This will be an especially difficult year for the Reds to break the bank on their #1 selection because they have more high picks than ever.

No one is going to argue that making money no object in the draft is a bad idea, and I would definitely be pumped by Wieters or Brackman. But I think we'd all be mightily, pleasantly surprised if the Reds went that route.
    This is exactly why I was livid all winter long...all the money being pissed away on players like Stanton could have been used on this draft. They knew they were gonna have a lot of high picks.

If they go cheap (i.e., Schramek), I might officially lose it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan View Post
    Kinda like last year, when everyone knew the Reds were taking Stubbs from the first mock to the actual draft.
    Eh, the Reds were heavily rumored to be interested in Billy Rowell as well heading toward the draft, but eventually went with Stubbs. Those were really the only 2 names I saw come up though.

Actually in the Mock last year they had the Reds picking Brandon Morrow.

Something about Brackman turns me off. Maybe it's the height and delivery. He's had a very poor year so far, which they're trying to attribute to his lack of stamina. This is the first year he's played baseball exclusively in college.

I'd still love to see Heyward available or Beavan (another Texas arm).

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Something about Brackman turns me off. Maybe it's the height and delivery. He's had a very poor year so far, which they're trying to attribute to his lack of stamina. This is the first year he's played baseball exclusively in college.

I'd still love to see Heyward available or Beavan (another Texas arm).
    I think Brackman reminds me of a more hyped Jeff Samardzija - and lets just say I'm not on that bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Eh, the Reds were heavily rumored to be interested in Billy Rowell as well heading toward the draft, but eventually went with Stubbs. Those were really the only 2 names I saw come up though.
    That's true, I stand corrected. But all I remember going into the draft is that it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Stubbs would be the pick.

I'm starting to come around on Dominguez. I'm also a huge fan of Jason Heyward. LaPorta is also a guy I like. I don't know much about Kevin Ahrens other than he's a switch-hitting SS/3B from Texas. Texas has worked out pretty good for the Reds in the last three drafts - Bailey, Bruce, Lecure, and Stubbs. If he can stay at SS then I wouldn't really mind if they picked him. BUT, Matt Wieters should be the Reds choice if he's still available when the Reds pick.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dominguez is my guy and has been since about January. Just like what he brings to the table and his projectability.

I think if Wieters is there and the Reds pass I'd be upset. He's off the charts as a catcher, but still pretty darn good as a CI.

But if he's not, Dominguez or Aherns sound just fine to me. I've seen the video of both and they both drip of monster power potential.

I'm thinking they are playing the Jay Bruce card with Aherns. Unlike Dominguez, who's been on the map for several years now, Aherns was on no one's board until the last couple of months. Same with Bruce - a monster senior year caught everyone's attention.

FWIW - today Jim Callis noted that the Reds are also into Blake Bevan & Jason Heyward but believes both will get picked before 15.

Also stated in his chat today that Dominguez is a future gold glove 3B.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 05-19-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Turn Off Ads?