Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BA: Mock First Round

Re: BA: Mock First Round

Yea I agree about Aherns and Bruce. Prospects that shoot up the draft boards with good stats and tools tend to continue to improve even after the draft. People forget that these players are 18 years old and their development is really just beginning whether it be good or bad.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Also I think anyone who interested in the draft sholuld listen to the BA Podcast this week. They talk about this year's draft prospect list, the Top 200 that will be coming out Monday and how hard it was to do the list because there were so many quality players and this year's draft. It is only about 15 minutes and was pretty interesting.

Keith Law still lists Weiters as the #1 prospect in the draft, so it would be really great if he fell to us and we picked him.

How does Beaven compare to Bailey 3 years ago?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    How does Beaven compare to Bailey 3 years ago?
    From the Draft chat today
    Adam from NYC asks:
    What separates Blake Beavan from the top HS arms in the draft, namely Rick Porcello? It seems like he is getting less respect as other players, yet his stats, track record, and projectability are on the same level. Any thoughts on where he would go in the draft?

A: John Manuel: Quick answer . . . Beavan's delivery is not nearly as clean or projectable as those guys.
    Porcello's pretty much the consensus best HS pitcher in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    From the Draft chat today

Porcello's pretty much the consensus best HS pitcher in the draft
    Sounds like Porcello's being touted as the Bailey as this class, while Beaven the Hughes, interesting.

how is wieters defensively?
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    how is wieters defensively?
    He threw out 32% of the guys who ran on him this season. I'm not sure how that compares to other college catchers. He's real big though, at 6'5" 235 lbs. Supposedly has good footwork behind the plate and he can throw in the mid-90s off the mound, so he's got a good arm. Good at recieving the ball. The only knock I've read on him defensively is that he doesn't move great laterally behind the plate.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

History has shown that there aren't that many catchers that big. I don't remember the details, but I did see it shown that no Hall of Fame catchers were taller than about 6'3".

I'm guessing it's likely Wieters would be moved- the issue is when.

Johnny Edwards was a solid catcher for many years at 6'4, 225 or so.

Turn Off Ads?