Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Krivsky Backs Narron Once Again--Flips Out On Fay

Krivsky Backs Narron Once Again--Flips Out On Fay

Krivsky on Narron: "It's not going to happen"

Wayne Krivsky said in the strongest -- I mean strongest -- terms possible that manager Jerry Narron's job is safe after Reds' 9-4 loss to the Indians.

Krivsky took exception to a response I made to a question from Marty Brennaman during our second inning chat. Marty asked if I thought Narron was safe if the team continued to play the way it is. I said no, or words to that effect. "It's not going to happen," Krivsky said after the game. "Get off of it." I did three radio interviews today. I was asked about it in all three. I answered the same way: I don't think it's Narron's fault. But managers tend to take the blame. The old you-can't-fire-the-players thing. So unless the Reds turn it around, my guess is, Narron will take the fall at some point.
    -Fay

Hurray.

And why the heck is Krivsky listening to radio interviews? Also, Narron's job is so safe, why is Krivsky concerned about what people are saying about it?
    Last edited by reds44; 05-18-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Krivsky Backs Narron Once Again--Flips Out On Fay

Narron must have a picture of Kriv and Bob C wearing leather pants and laying on top of each other. Only explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Narron must have a picture of Kriv and Bob C wearing leather pants and laying on top of each other. Only explanation.

Hilarious.

ALL IS WELL. REMAIN CALM. ALL WILL BE ASSIMILATED IN DUE COURSE. DO NOT QUESTION OUR METHODS, MERE EARTHLINGS.

I agree with Fay. This roster is a mess. Narron will have to answer at some point, but I'd like Wayne to start getting some questions asked of him.

I gotta believe Wayne is getting some heat from above. His reaction to a simple radio interview shows that he's under a lot of stress.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I agree with Fay too, at least in theory... that the manager's job SHOULD be in jeopardy. But I also think he should respect that WK said it isn't.

I can see WK's side of it. He's repeatedly said JN's job is not in jeopardy (whether it should be or not is actually beside the point), yet Fay insists on saying it is. I think I might be a bit irritated by his persistence if I had blatantly said NO, IT ISN'T!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

The manager's job is never in jeopardy until it is ... and then he's gone within a few days.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Gee, that is original....YAWN
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I think maybe the reason Special K reacted in such a way is because he doesn't play any of his transactions out in the media and probably doesn't appreciate this one being played out there.

That said, Narron and his brother are the influencers of Josh Hamilton...there could be some strings to letting him/them go...
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I agree with Fay. This roster is a mess. Narron will have to answer at some point, but I'd like Wayne to start getting some questions asked of him.
    Krivsky built this pitching staff, IMO he's just as much at fault as Narron.
    Go Gators!

Narron's days are numbered despite what Krivsky says publicly.

On the other hand it always amuses me when newspaper geeks like Fay think they have any effect whatsoever on what decisions the team makes. Same goes for the poofy-haired fancy boy. They can whine all they want but it doesn't matter one bit.

[QUOTE=reds44;1352529]-
    And why the heck is Krivsky listening to radio interviews? [QUOTE]

In here is why Ozzie Guillen listens to radio shows:

CHICAGO (AP) - White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen unleashed a profanity-laced outburst on a radio show Friday morning after the host questioned why starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski wasn't in the lineup for the interleague opener against the Cubs.

Pierzynski had been on the show earlier, saying he was disappointed to be left out of the lineup as the White Sox started backup catcher Toby Hall.
    Hall's first appearance of the season wasn't a good one. After coming off the disabled list Thursday, he made two errors and had a crucial passed ball in the White Sox's 6-3 loss.

"Ozzie called up and after he swore the first time, I asked him nicely to take it easy. He swore again and that's when it blew up," WSCR-AM host Mike North said.

Pierzynski met with both Guillen and general manager Ken Williams before the game.

After Pierzynski went on the air and said he was disappointed to be sitting, North said there was no excuse for Pierzynski - a weekly guest on the show - to be sitting.

Guillen, on the way to Wrigley Field, phoned from his car and launched into North. North began responding angrily and Guillen subsequently hung up. North later went to Guillen's office and brought him some fudge.

Before the game, Guillen acknowledged he was very angry but did not apologize for his choice of words on the air.

"No. I already did it. It's too late," Guillen said. "No, I don't regret it."

"I should have been talking to my kids in the car. Every time we play the series, I like to listen what the fans say about the series and what's going on," Guillen said. "It's a funny thing because at 9 in the morning I always sleep. I was mad at the way they were saying stuff."

Guillen said he doesn't have to explain his lineup to anyone, except Williams. And he said Pierzynski is not going to be in a platoon situation with Hall.

"If he thinks he going to be a backup player, he should come to me and not go to the radio. Do I have anything against him? No, he's going to be my catcher tomorrow and my catcher the next day and every day until I make the lineup when Toby Hall is in the lineup," Guillen said.

Moments later, he and Pierzynski met near the first-base line and then gave each other a hug.

"Ozzie and I are fine. That's the biggest thing. That Ozzie and I know where we stand with each other, and I have nothing but respect for Ozzie and what happened this morning was just a misunderstanding," Pierzynski said.

Williams didn't seemed overly concerned about his talkative manager's latest controversy.

"Am I OK with it? No, I don't like the use of the language. But in talking with Ozzie, he was surprised when I informed him he used a few choice words that are really not acceptable for the radio," Williams said.

"He was shocked that he actually used a couple of them to the extent that he did. So that was pure and raw anger that was coming out."
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Pierzynski can bring out the worst in anyone, eh?

sorry we're boring

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Narron's days are numbered despite what Krivsky says publicly.

On the other hand it always amuses me when newspaper geeks like Fay think they have any effect whatsoever on what decisions the team makes. Same goes for the poofy-haired fancy boy. They can whine all they want but it doesn't matter one bit.
    Fay (and Rosecrans, too) actually do have some effect by stirring up the public opinion. I would say that it really does matter one bit, because we're talking about what John Fay said right now, just like we did this spring when he decided to write about Junior allegedly sulking over moving to RF.

I read it in the paper, I read it on the 'net and I hear Lance talking non-stop, all about what an idiot Jerry Narron is. All that writing, talking and listening has some effect on those who care to listen or read, which are most Reds fans. Most fans who care about Reds baseball pay attention to what is written or said about the team in the media.

I think Narron's an OK manager. I cannot blame him for the pitching, that's on WK. I do blame him for the lineup construction. Did anyone look at that lineup last night and think the Reds had a chance to win? I may be the biggest Juan Castro fan on this site, but Juan simply should not be starting at 3B, or pinch hitting for anyone, ever. It's time for WK to bring EE back up, and put him at 3B, if Ryan Freel is not going to play there. Even if you platoon EE, and start him only against LH, this is a better team than with Castro as your starting 3B.

If this team continues to tank, JN will be fired, no question. I think this team has quit on him; you could see it on his face last night when he was pulling Lohse out of the game; he just stood there, head down, muttering something, shaking his head.

Apparently infield/outfield practice was not well received by some on the team- Fay pointed this out in his blog as well, and good for him for doing so.

This team should have a burning desire to win, and to play better defense, and certainly shouldn't balk at extra fielding drills like a pack of petulant children. They apparently perceived it as punishment, and Narron is just trying to improve them. And look at how they kicked the ball around again last night!

I think Fay's right. And I think it showed in Krivsky's anger, just how close Fay is to being right. Someone has to take the blame. You just can't keep throwing the same club, same players, same manager and coaches out there day after day and expect different results.

Since July 1, 2006, this team is 52-72 (.419). That's not a slump; that's just bad baseball.

Something needs to change.

I really thought this was a better team than the Reds have had in the recent past. Other than the SP being better, it's not. The corner IF positions and catching are substandard, the bench is anemic, slow and old, and the relief pitching is well documented elsewhere.

I can't blame Narron for that, either.

Something has to change. I can't see Castellini, who fancies himself a man of action, sitting on his hands night after night, watching this train wreck.

A big change of some sort needs to happen; what will it be?

As for me, I'd cut out the dead weight right now- prune it. This season is lost. Get rid of the old, bloated contracts that run through this year only, and start bringing up the AAA guys and find out what you've got. Playing Juan Castro at 3B doesn't win you any ball games, and just keeps the younger guys from advancing.
    Last edited by Always Red; 05-19-2007 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling!
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?