Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds file grievance against Nationals

Reds file grievance against Nationals

I saw this while on the Reds website:

Reds file grievance against Nats
    Dispute claims reliever Majewski was damaged goods

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CLEVELAND -- The Reds have formally filed a grievance against the Nationals in a nearly year-long dispute that alleges damaged goods were received when they acquired reliever Gary Majewski.

According to sources of the Washington Post, Major League officials have begun speaking with people from both teams regarding the case.

"We're looking into the matter," MLB spokesman Mike Teevan told the Post on Friday. "There's no firm deadline by which we have to reach a decision."

On July 13, 2006, Majewski, reliever Bill Bray, shortstop Royce Clayton and two Minor Leaguers were acquired by the Reds in an eight-player trade that sent outfielder Austin Kearns, shortstop Felipe Lopez and reliever Ryan Wagner to the Nationals.

Shortly after the deal was made, Majewski went on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation. He later revealed that he had a sore shoulder from the start of the last season and received a cortisone injection from the Washington medical staff not long before the trade was executed.

At the time, Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky alleged that the Nationals and GM Jim Bowden did not provide full disclosure about Majewski's medical issue.

When reached on Friday night, Krivsky declined comment. Bowden also declined to comment on the story.

In 65 appearances last season with Washington and Cincinnati, Majewski was 4-4 with a 4.61 ERA. With the Reds, the 27-year-old was 1-2 with an 8.40 ERA.

Majewski has continued to have shoulder issues this year and did not begin throwing with the team at the start of Spring Training. He has been with Triple-A Louisville all season and is 1-1 with a 5.54 ERA in 13 games. He resumed pitching on Wednesday for the first time since May 1 after he missed time because of a death in the family and later, a recurrence of shoulder soreness from throwing after being inactive for several days.

Source: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds file grievance against Nationals

Interesting
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Here we go
    Go Gators!

Has anybody ever heard of any trade grievances in the past?

I wonder what the possible outcomes of this grievance could be. Are there any precedents?

Hopefully we can send Maj back to Washington and get either Kearns or Lopez back. Then we would have an auction to see what we could obtain for that guy around the league. That would be interesting.

My guess is a cash settlement will ensue. We should at least get another major league reliever out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Has anybody ever heard of any trade grievances in the past?

I wonder what the possible outcomes of this grievance could be. Are there any precedents?

Hopefully we can send Maj back to Washington and get either Kearns or Lopez back. Then we would have an auction to see what we could obtain for that guy around the league. That would be interesting.

My guess is a cash settlement will ensue. We should at least get another major league reliever out of this.

I don't remember the specifics but there was an issue between Boston & Pittsburgh a few years back that ended with the Pirates getting (IIRC) Freddy Sanchez. I don't think a formal grievance was filed though.
    School's out. What did you expect?

All of a sudden this makes the news again.Nice to know Krivski's on the case during these turbulent times for the Redlegs.

It's about time.

I'm guessing the evidence was always there, but I would think Wayne tried to give Bowden an opportunity to swap players (Majewski for someone else), and Bowden continually refused adequate compensation.

Maybe this also explains the letting go of Brendan Harris for what many believed was so little. By letting him go for just a little, it places more importance on what Majewski meant to the deal when they go before an arbitration panel, if that's what it eventually ends up as the final decision-making process. This could take a long time.

I think the REDS are going to want Richard "Brett" Campbell for Majewski....or possibly Jermaine Van Buren.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 05-19-2007 at 04:05 AM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    All of a sudden this makes the news again.Nice to know Krivski's on the case during these turbulent times for the Redlegs.
    This situation was bound to make the news again because approximately 3 weeks remain on the one-year deadline to file that grievance.

I was always my impression that the Reds had planned to file a grievance but new information kept presenting itself keeping them from making their strongest case. Must be they have everything they wanted to present mlb.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I'll take their first round pick in the 2007 MLB draft.

The case is weak. WK failed to put into the contract for the players to pass a physical as condition for the trade. It's buyer beware in used cars and baseball. WK lost and got out hustled by the weasel Jim Bowden. If WK would of done his homework, he would know Jim Bowden's story.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    The case is weak. WK failed to put into the contract for the players to pass a physical as condition for the trade. It's buyer beware in used cars and baseball. WK lost and got out hustled by the weasel Jim Bowden. If WK would of done his homework, he would know Jim Bowden's story.
    While that is true, you have to understand that trades during the season rarely (if ever) involve a physical. It's assumed that it's good faith because when you're in a race you want the players to make an impact immediately.

So, ten months to photocopy some papers and write a letter? Nice work if you can get it.

BTW, it took the Reds almost as long to file a grievance about tendinitis as it did for Eddie Guardado to come back from Tommy John surgery. Just sayin'.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I agree 100%. Caveat Emptor....the buyer beware. The burden was on Krivsky to practice due dilegence. If I were MLB, I'd find in favor of the Reds and make the award zero just to demonstrate the Reds stupidity and the Nationals sleazieness.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    I agree 100%. Caveat Emptor....the buyer beware. The burden was on Krivsky to practice due dilegence. If I were MLB, I'd find in favor of the Reds and make the award leather pants just to demonstrate the Reds stupidity and the Nationals sleazieness.
    fixed it for you
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?