Reds File Grievance Over Majewski Deal
By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, May 19, 2007; Page E05
The Cincinnati Reds have formally filed a grievance with Major League Baseball regarding last year's trade with the Washington Nationals in which the Reds believe they received damaged goods in reliever Gary Majewski.
"We're looking into the matter," league spokesman Mike Teevan said yesterday. "There's no firm deadline by which we have to reach a decision."
Sources said MLB officials have begun the process of speaking with officials from both teams regarding the July 13 deal that sent Majewski and four other players -- shortstop Royce Clayton, reliever Bill Bray, infielder Brendan Harris and minor league pitcher Daryl Thompson -- to Cincinnati for outfielder Austin Kearns, infielder Felipe Lopez and reliever Ryan Wagner.
Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden, who has maintained that the Nationals turned over all the medical records regarding Majewski that the Reds asked for, declined to comment yesterday. Through a spokesman, Cincinnati General Manager Wayne Krivsky also declined to comment.
Majewski had tendinitis in his right shoulder while with the Nationals early last season, and although he never went on the disabled list, the condition was reported in the media. He made 11 appearances with the Reds before being placed on the disabled list Aug. 8. A day later, Krivsky first brought up the possibility of seeking a league investigation.
Majewski is 1-1 with a 6.00 ERA for Class AAA Louisville this year. The Nationals play a four-game series at Cincinnati next week.