Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this George Grande's last year

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Is this George Grande's last year

It might have already been leaked and I missed it, but don't you get the feeling this is George Grande's final year announcing Reds games? I anticipate Thom Brenneman and Jeff Brantley taking on a bigger role next year, especially Thom B on TV (they will keep Chris Welch around would be my guess).

We've had to put up with Grande since 1993 and hopefully this is in fact his last year. I don't like it when it sounds like Reds' announcers are literally rooting for the other team. I don't need a homer (OK, maybe I do) but Grande gets more excited for the other teams' good plays at times. And this is just one of the many things he does that gets on my nerves. Like when he makes an obvious mistake and just keeps right on talking like nothing happened. "Fly ball to the warning track (OF catches ball about 20 feet in front of track)... and that's the second out of the inning. And don't forget to watch the Best Sports Show Question Mark, I mean Period, tonight on FSN. The Reds weren't on the smiling side of the scoreboard tonight. Please join us tomorrow night when I interview 'Golden Hands' (and Fool's Gold Bat) Juan Castro."

(Sorry, meant to include a question mark in the title of this thread.)
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 05-19-2007 at 11:00 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is this George Grande's last year

I would certainly hope so. I'm not a fan at all of his silly style of broadcasting.

Actually I thought him and Brantley did a nice job yesterday despite the loss to the tribe.

How many times did he say Cowboy last night. I thought his name was Jeff, but maybe I misread his baseball cards. George seemed to be intimidated with Brantly last night. Jeff knows his baseball, while Chris Welsh has no clue what is going on. I like Brantly on TV better than his play by play on radio. He is a true color guy and fits in well. I do like Tom and Jeff on TV and find someone else to help Marty on the radio.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

I hope not, would be a mistake to leave it to Thom and Brantley
    Go Gators!

Welsh does have a clue whats going on. He really knows the game and always offers great commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It might have already been leaked and I missed it, but don't you get the feeling this is George Grande's final year announcing Reds games?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'm sure it's a little weird for him. Grande & Chris Welsh have been the solo TV guys for the Reds for quite some time - and this season they're playing musical broadcaster chairs. Thom & Brantley thanks to their days on ESPN & Fox are more used to it, but George strikes me as a 'sticks to the routine' type of guy and I'm sure this has thrown him for a loop.

Have we ever had a Grande-bashing thread before?

I have no problem with Chris Welsh.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

I hope so. Let him be the 3rd man who goes around the crowd and interviews people for the Cardinals broadcast team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I hope not, would be a mistake to leave it to Thom and Brantley
    Thom at some point has to take over for his Dad, I would think...of course, that's still several years away
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-19-2007 at 06:34 PM.

George and Jeff > Thom and Chris.

Grande will scamper home soon enough.
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Marty will be broadcasting when he's in his 90's..........and he'll be even more arrogant and annoying at that point.
    Who's on first?

Turn Off Ads?