Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Getting Smarter (BP Blurb)

Getting Smarter (BP Blurb)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=369

May 16, 2007, 04:49 PM ET
    Getting Smarter

by Will Carroll

Iíve been getting more and more questions over the last few weeks about GMs. In one recent (I think Monday - days mesh together. When was Heroes? Yeah, Monday.) interview, the assumption was made in a question that Bill Bavasi, GM of the Mariners, would be fired. While Iím not sure about that, Iím convinced that baseball front offices are getting smarter. And thatís saying something.

Sure, the Indians have Keith Woolner, but before that, they go org deep with really, really smart guys. There are people in the mid-levels of the Mets front office or the Aís front office that are among the smartest, sharpest baseball minds Iíve encountered. Rays? Sure. Braves? Absolutely. Cubs? Youíd be surprised, but the answer is yes. Sox? Both colors, yes. Brewers? Let me stun you - if I made a list of five people I would interview to be my GM if my bid of $17.49 happens to be the high bid for the Cubs, Gord Ash would be on that list. (No, you couldnít pay me enough to give you the other four names.)

Ash is a perfect example of someone who made moves in the past that BP disagreed with. Same with Kenny Williams, who I think should be in the top echelon of current GMs. While some of them may have thought that our criticism was personal, it wasnít. Smart people make dumb moves, but more usually, we donít see the inner workings that led to the decision. I can disagree with J.P. Ricciardiís logic on B.J. Ryan and A.J. Burnett (ĒIf they stay healthy ÖĒ) but I understand why he did it. We donít often get the full logic, the transparent breakdown, or anything close.

Baseball, as a whole, is getting better and smarter, on and off the field. Just donít mistake that evolutionary improvement as an indictment of the men in place now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Getting Smarter (BP Blurb)

Is anyone shocked the initials WK didn't fly from his lips when he started to name the ones he considerd good?

Ash is a perfect example of someone who made moves in the past that BP disagreed with. Same with Kenny Williams, who I think should be in the top echelon of current GMs. While some of them may have thought that our criticism was personal, it wasn’t. Smart people make dumb moves, but more usually, we don’t see the inner workings that led to the decision. I can disagree with J.P. Ricciardi’s logic on B.J. Ryan and A.J. Burnett (”If they stay healthy …”) but I understand why he did it. We don’t often get the full logic, the transparent breakdown, or anything close.
    No, he didn't name WK as a "smart" gm, but WK hasn't really been a gm long enough to evaluate. I can't say I agree with his vision, because I really don't know what it is yet.

And the statement I bolded is important to realize. I just think that every transaction has something behind it that we do not know. May or may not really justify the action, but might help explain it.

I'm willing to give WK a little more time because he's learning. And because the organization is in such bad shape that it's going to take time to rebuild ... not only in terms of talent, but in terms of talent evaluators also. And in reputation among the other clubs as an organization they might want to work within/for.

If you cut WK lose so soon, after cutting DanO lose before his initial contract was up, will a quality gm candidate even interview for the job?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    No, he didn't name WK as a "smart" gm, but WK hasn't really been a gm long enough to evaluate. I can't say I agree with his vision, because I really don't know what it is yet.

And the statement I bolded is important to realize. I just think that every transaction has something behind it that we do not know. May or may not really justify the action, but might help explain it.

I'm willing to give WK a little more time because he's learning. And because the organization is in such bad shape that it's going to take time to rebuild ... not only in terms of talent, but in terms of talent evaluators also. And in reputation among the other clubs as an organization they might want to work within/for.

If you cut WK lose so soon, after cutting DanO lose before his initial contract was up, will a quality gm candidate even interview for the job?
    I think you have a valid argument, but WK hasn't given us any hope for the future. The moves he has made have been, for the most part, awful. It's not like he's playing a bunch of 22 year olds who are in last place. He has committed a decent chunk of change to the fiasco currently called the Reds.

I'm not sure the Reds have enough in the organization to field of team of true youngsters. Without rushing someone, or at least bringing someone up and starting the arb clock before you might want to. If the organization had depth, you might be willing.

But didn't WK make changes in the scouting/development department this past off-season?

I'm not saying he HAS A PLAN and knows what he's doing. I'm just afraid a change at the gm level now might be more risky than giving WK a little more time to show some direction.

Turn Off Ads?