Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344 LastLast

Thread: 5/19/2007 - Reds vs. Indians - Game 2

Re: 5/19/2007 - Reds vs. Indians - Game 2

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Then he is a sarcastic, silly curmudgeon. Not just for content but more so for tone.

Your sense of mocking is getting dull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    you really are Austin Kearns!
    if only some old reds played for the Nats....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if the game hasn't completely passed Marty by and if some of his rants are his subconscious desperately trying to cling to air...

He still has not come to grips with the demise of the BRM.....
    Which is so stupid, because it doesn't have to be that way. If the game has passed Marty by, it's because he's made the choice to let it. He didn't have to. I was born after the BRM, my formative years have been part of the new stats explosion, and I don't think I enjoy baseball any less for it.

He's still a great announcer when he focuses on the game that's being played on the field as he's talking; he knows how to call a game in an extremely entertaining way. But you're right; I always have the distinct impression, from all of his bitter comments about this or that, that he'd rather be watching another game. And by that I mean not, like, the KC-Angels game, but another game than present-day baseball.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Your sense of mocking is getting dull.
    I know. He just sounded so bizarrely sincere. It took me aback.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

My prediction for tomorrow's lineup:

Freel cf
    Phillips 2b
    Griffey rf
    Dunn lf
    Conine dh
    Hatteberg 1b
    Keppinger 3b
    Ross c
    Castro ss

I think that Gonzalez will get tomorrow off--he has been struggling. Jacobs Field has a lot of space in the outfield, and with Hamilton unavailable due to illness, it is imperative that Freel play CF. I would play both Hatteberg and Conine to maximize the lineup's offensive potential. Also, I think that Conine might have more success against Paul Byrd than Hopper would.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post

Freel cf
    Phillips 2b
    Griffey rf
    Dunn lf
    Conine dh
    Hatteberg 1b
    Keppinger 3b
    Ross c
    Castro ss

I think that Gonzalez will get tomorrow off--he has been struggling. Jacobs Field has a lot of space in the outfield, and with Hamilton unavailable due to illness, it is imperative that Freel play CF. I would play both Hatteberg and Conine to maximize the lineup's offensive potential. Also, I think that Conine might have more success against Paul Byrd than Hopper would.
    I think you may be right about Castro (Jerry loves him some Castro!) but I doubt he'll bat Dunn higher than 5th.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think you may be right about Castro (Jerry loves him some Castro!) but I doubt he'll bat Dunn higher than 5th.
    You're right. I guess I should have said that this is what I think the lineup ought to be. I'm OK with giving Castro the spot start and giving Gonzalez a day off tomorrow. Gonzo is playing like he needs it, and with the DH in effect, Castro can hit ninth, which is OK since he hits only a little better than a pitcher, anyway!
    Last edited by Big Klu; 05-19-2007 at 10:44 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Which is so stupid, because it doesn't have to be that way. If the game has passed Marty by, it's because he's made the choice to let it. He didn't have to. I was born after the BRM, my formative years have been part of the new stats explosion, and I don't think I enjoy baseball any less for it.

He's still a great announcer when he focuses on the game that's being played on the field as he's talking; he knows how to call a game in an extremely entertaining way. But you're right; I always have the distinct impression, from all of his bitter comments about this or that, that he'd rather be watching another game. And by that I mean not, like, the KC-Angels game, but another game than present-day baseball.

I don't think it's just Marty. I think people tend to resist change when they get older.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

part of BBN

With Harang going(hopefully) and BA plus upcoming week schedule , it is imperative this team start some kind of streak.
    Btw...remember the days when we could say..."good, with the DH, we can now get Jr, Dunn, and Kearns/Encarnacion/Guillen/Pena all in the game."
    Now the DH shows how weak our lineup is,especially with Edwin in Louisville.

part of BBN

I always have the distinct impression, from all of his bitter comments about this or that, that he'd rather be watching another game. And by that I mean not, like, the KC-Angels game, but another game than present-day baseball.
    Like...golf, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jerry Narron would rather Norris Hopper and Jeff Conine receieve more atbats in a game than Adam Dunn? Wow. Jerry Narron continues to amaze me with his stupidity.
    Reds 10
    Indians 5

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think it's just Marty. I think people tend to resist change when they get older.
    People in general are resistant to change. As people grow older they are more risk adverse.

Talking about closers, what's-his-face says I don't care what Bill James says, I think a closer is most important, all the great teams have one, and Marty responds boy Bill James is a smart guy, along with Billy Beane out in Oakland. Those two and Tony LaRussa were in the room with Abner Doubleday when he invented the game. And Sandy Alderson was knocking on the door but they wouldn't let him in.

Really couldn't tell if he was serious or mocking.
    You know, the whole world doesn't think James and Beane have all the answers. There'll always be people who dissent against this philosophy. I'm assuming that Marty is one of them, although I'm sitting in N. Carolina tonight and had no way to listen to the ballgame. And you have to admit if we did have a light out closer it would have made a couple of games wins instead of losses. 19-25 wouldn't be that much greater, though.

Marty probably like Graeter's ice cream better than Breyer's, but since I like Breyer's better it doesn't mean Marty doesn't know anything about ice cream.

Just sayin'
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post

Freel cf
    Phillips 2b
    Griffey rf
    Dunn lf
    Conine dh
    Hatteberg 1b
    Keppinger 3b
    Ross c
    Castro ss

I would play both Hatteberg and Conine to maximize the lineup's offensive potential. Also, I think that Conine might have more success against Paul Byrd than Hopper would.
    Righty pitcher tomorrow. Valentin will DH, not Conine. Keppinger will be in AAA to make room for Harang, so I think Gonzo will play and Castro at third.

If Hamilton plays center (unlikely) then Freel can play third and Castro for Gonzo at short. But more likely Gonzo short, Castro third, Freel center. So my guess is

Freel CF
    Hatteberg 1B
    Griffey RF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Gonzo SS
    Valentin DH
    Ross C
    Castro 3B
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-20-2007 at 12:48 AM.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Just got back from the game...

Offense seemed like last year's, pre-trade. I missed it. Ross crushed some balls tonight. Dunn was swinging at dirt balls, and he knew better.

Bullpen still scares the bejesus out of me. Belisle battled without his best stuff. Coutlangus gets my game ball.

The Indians lineup is stacked. As I was walking around the concourse, I overheard the analysts saying "I don't think 4-1 will cut it." I miss having that confidence in the 'O'.

If the Reds can take the Sunday rubber game, they just might get their confidence back and get a run going. This team deperately needs heart and momentum both, and I think a blowout win is step one, now they need a big come-from-behind win, and they can start believing in themselves.

The team I have gone to watch and root for has not lost in any sport in the last three years. I think I should get an official Redszone season pass, for the sanity of the site.

Turn Off Ads?