Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking back at Krivsky 2006 draft

Re: Looking back at Krivsky 2006 draft

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    You can't have it both ways.

Either you can go with Elizardo Ramirez and keep Ward, or you can have the good second half last year and good April this year that Lohse has given us for a Low-A prospect.

There aren't starting pitchers hanging out on trees out there that you can just plunk off and stick into the starting lineup. You have to give up something. And Ward was clearly replaceable through the 2006 and 2007 draft.
    I don't want Lohse, either last season, this April or next July. He is another veteran stop gap Krivsky special stiff that cost millions. I don't care what the mkt is/was for starters, he had a 7 ERA last season and he cost a decent pitching prospect and millions. Krivsky got NO MONEY in that deal. It is nearly unheard of to take on that much salary while giving up someone who at least had some success in the minors.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You my friend are actually NOT crazy. I have made that observation several times.
    And yet Edabbs somehow doesn't grasp that point lmfao. I have just discovered how to come off as mister wise guy it is a simple plan slam all prospects after all only 5 of the 40 make it at best and thus I am more right than wrong
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Ya can't teach speed...

Edabbs:

Simple question...at what level would you expect a 2006 draft pick to be at in 2007, regardless of their age or previous level of competition (HS vs college)? How many players go from draft pick to some high level in way less than one full season? I know there are one off examples of players who jumped to the majors very quickly, but are we looking for that one in a million superstar, or the remaining 24 guys to fill out the squad?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I know I'm making a big generalization here, but...if a college kid is in low A ball for any extended period of time, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they are up against the odds of making an impact during their careers.

Looking at Dayton's opponent today (Clinton Lumberkings), 8 of the 13 position players on their roster are over the age of 21. They are:

David Peterson: .657 OPS
    Mauro Gomez: .546 OPS
    Jay Heafner: .537 OPS
    Grant Gerrard: .586 OPS
    Craig Gentry: .703 OPS
    Wally Backman III: .577 OPS
    KC Herren: 1.012 OPS
    Chad Tracy: .795 OPS

Not exactly Murderer's Row. There's a reason why these guys are where they are. I know it's only one team and I know that there are probably some better college guys in Low A than these guys (i.e., Stubbs), but I'm not going to get all giddy about college guys pitching really well in Low A and deeming WK a mastermind because of this.

By the way...Zach Ward was a 22 year old in Dayton last season. 7-0, 2.25 ERA and 0.97 WHIP. Dealt at the deadline for good ol' Kyle Lohse. Seems to be pitching pretty well in High A for Minny right now. He was moved to a relief role. 2.70 ERA.

How long are people going to keep giving Krivsky a free pass on the rotation? The rotation could easily have been Arroyo, Harang, Bailey, Lincecum, and Germano by the end of this July. And we'd still have Zach Ward, plus the money wasted on Cormier and the money spent on Lohse. And by the way, we won't know how to evaluate K's 2006 draft for another year anyway. If at the end of this season, Turner, Valaika, and Stubbs are putting up good numbers at Sarasota, then we'll know we've got something. I happen to think they will but it's still too early to know anything realistic about how those guys will develop. Also, it's unfair to O'Brien to link him up just with Bailey and Bruce. Take a look at what he did with an 11th round pick--Carlos Fisher is developing into a big time pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    How long are people going to keep giving Krivsky a free pass on the rotation? The rotation could easily have been Arroyo, Harang, Bailey, Lincecum, and Germano by the end of this July. And we'd still have Zach Ward, plus the money wasted on Cormier and the money spent on Lohse. And by the way, we won't know how to evaluate K's 2006 draft for another year anyway. If at the end of this season, Turner, Valaika, and Stubbs are putting up good numbers at Sarasota, then we'll know we've got something. I happen to think they will but it's still too early to know anything realistic about how those guys will develop. Also, it's unfair to O'Brien to link him up just with Bailey and Bruce. Take a look at what he did with an 11th round pick--Carlos Fisher is developing into a big time pitching prospect.
    Lincecum yeah maybe, after Germano gets shelled a few times, you will not be saying his name. He hasn't been that impressive at all besides the majors don't know him. Look what has happened to Jerry Sowers after the MLB caught up to him. But unlike Sowers, he isn't left handed.

Nobody is down grading what O Brien did, I was a (one of the few) huge supporters of what he did in his tenure. Basically I was just looking back on last year since the draft was coming up. I like to call it as I see it and you can go back and search my comments on O Brien. The free pass on Krivsky is what he has earned as far as drafting last year goes. Lincecum yeah has jumped out the gate on fire, but Krivsky's draft was pretty damn good, I call them as I see them.

I see no reason as yet to call Krivsky's 2006 draft good. His highest picks are having success at Low A ball. That's good, but they were all major college players and are not doing any more than one would expect from them. I actually like his draft, though I'd have liked it a lot more if the first pick had been Lincecum. But it's way too early to evaluate it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Edabbs:

Simple question...at what level would you expect a 2006 draft pick to be at in 2007, regardless of their age or previous level of competition (HS vs college)? How many players go from draft pick to some high level in way less than one full season? I know there are one off examples of players who jumped to the majors very quickly, but are we looking for that one in a million superstar, or the remaining 24 guys to fill out the squad?
    I'm pretty sure we are overreacting here. Here is the original post I was talking about:

O Brien had some pretty good drafts (Bailey, Bruce) Krivsky clearly raised the bar though. Just looking at Dayton stats and just about every draft pick on that team is clearly a legit hitting prospect even down to kids like Phipps and Heisley. Then the top 4 pitching prospects have unreal WHIPs.

Jordan Smith 0.95
    Sean Watson 0.98
    Rafael Gonzalez 1.11
    Travis Webb 0.99
    I'll just give a few bullet-point thoughts:

1) If Bailey and Bruce equated to "pretty good" drafts, who is even close to these two from the '06 draft?

2) Rafael Gonzalez was drafted in 2004 by Dan O'Brien.

3) I guess my major point from this thread is that judging college players in low A ball cannot "raise the bar" from drafts which have yielded Bruce and Bailey. It makes no logical sense.

Now to answer your question. Where do I expect a 2006 draft pick to be right now, regardless of age or level of competition? That depends on a few things. It HAS to be with regard to their age. It also has to be with regard to their draft position. A first-round college pick should be more advanced than a 7th round high school pick, no? Where they should be is on a case by case basis. Maybe they should be in Low A...that's fine. But we shouldn't be deeming the '06 draft a winner because of their success there.

Listen...I think these guys are having good season so far. But, IMO, they should be having some success for them to currently have some worth. If they were getting shelled in Low A, I'd be worried. Low A isn't exactly cream of the crop.

Here's a real life example of what I am trying to say.

2nd round picks from 2006:

21 year old pitcher in Low A (will be 22 in July '07): 3-1 with a 2.09 ERA. 56-5 K/BB ratio. .237 BAA, 0.98 WHIP.

19 year old pitcher in Low A (won't be 20 until February '08): 5-3 with a 2.06 ERA. 62-7 K/BB ratio. .237 BAA, 1.01 WHIP.

Which season has been more impressive so far? All things being equal (I'm not sure about lineups each have faced and league/ballpark effects), the 19 year old is having a more impressive season because of his age. The 21 year old is obviously Sean Watson and the 19 year old is Brett Anderson for Arizona. Anderson is someone people were predicting to go early on in the draft and he dropped into the 2nd round. I know I was dying for Cincy to pick him. He's 3 years behind Watson and is having virtually the same season. Natural progression would lead anyone to believe that Anderson should improve and, in 3 years, be better than what he is now. But as we know, nothing is a guarantee in this game.

That's my thought process. Take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    And yet Edabbs somehow doesn't grasp that point lmfao. I have just discovered how to come off as mister wise guy it is a simple plan slam all prospects after all only 5 of the 40 make it at best and thus I am more right than wrong
    Let me know who I slammed. To say that the Krivsky has raised the bar from the drafts that have yielded Bailey and Bruce is very risky. We are talking about college guys who are having success in Low A. They haven't even been in pro baseball for a year. Bailey and Bruce are two of the best prospects in all of baseball. Let's give those guys a little time before we compare them to other top shelf talents. They might end up being better. Or they might flame out.

Are we grading the drafting ability of Krivsky or the outcome of the 2006 draft? These are two very distinct questions. The outcome of the 2004 draft is that Homer Bailey has become one of the top pitching prospects in baseball. The strategy of drafting Bailey that high in the first round is still poor because history has shown that high school pitchers are nearly impossible to accurately predict.

If we are grading Krivsky's drafting last year, it is suspect. Drafting a project like Stubbs in the first round when your team needs contributors sooner rather than later is foolish. Watson and Valaika are off to very good starts on their pro careers, however they appeared to have been overdrafted at the time. It is too early in Krivsky's career to make any kind of call on whether he was lucky in drafting them or does he have a knack for identifying talent that others have overlooked.

By the way, Lincecum is beating Roy Oswalt tonight. That's what you call "raising the bar" in drafting.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post

If we are grading Krivsky's drafting last year, it is suspect. Drafting a project like Stubbs in the first round when your team needs contributors sooner rather than later is foolish. Watson and Valaika are off to very good starts on their pro careers, however they appeared to have been overdrafted at the time. It is too early in Krivsky's career to make any kind of call on whether he was lucky in drafting them or does he have a knack for identifying talent that others have overlooked.
    We will disagree on this point. To draft someone simply because they can contribute faster is poor decision making at its finest. If you think that player A can be a better player 5-6 years down the road, but that player B will reach the majors a year and a half faster, but only be 75% of the player A.... it would be extremely foolish to take player B. Chris Valaika did not appear to be overdrafted at the time, Watson I will give you, but there were rumors that he would have been taken later in the second round by a few other teams.... so he was not completely over drafted.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I think its a huge mistake to call anything "Krivsky's" draft or "O'Brien's" draft.

I have a long time friend & neighbor who is currently an MLB scouting director. He's told me on plenty of occasions the GM's role in the draft is extremely limited - and he has nearly total autonomy - and he's been thru 2 GMs. The current GM is even less into the draft than the prior - last year my friend pretty much told him he wanted player X unless he was picked before, then he wanted player Y. The GM pretty much said sure thing whatever you want to do. And that player is having a monster season so far. I'm sure all over baseball there are different levels of involvement, but even draft connoisseur Billy Beane still lets his guys make the decisions.

So thank or blame Terry Reynolds or Chris Buckley.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I think its a huge mistake to call anything "Krivsky's" draft or "O'Brien's" draft.

I have a long time friend & neighbor who is currently an MLB scouting director. He's told me on plenty of occasions the GM's role in the draft is extremely limited - and he has nearly total autonomy - and he's been thru 2 GMs. The current GM is even less into the draft than the prior - last year my friend pretty much told him he wanted player X unless he was picked before, then he wanted player Y. The GM pretty much said sure thing whatever you want to do. And that player is having a monster season so far. I'm sure all over baseball there are different levels of involvement, but even draft connoisseur Billy Beane still lets his guys make the decisions.

So thank or blame Terry Reynolds or Chris Buckley.

Good point. Though Terry Renyolds was against drafting HS pitchers in the first round in his Dodger days. Considering the time it took the Reds to draft in 2004, I wonder who really made that final call. I remember waiting for the pick, it was like getting NFLish in its delay lol.

I think it was pretty clear from Buckley's quotes, he was pushing for Stubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post

I think it was pretty clear from Buckley's quotes, he was pushing for Stubbs.
    Definitely
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

"[He] as all the tools you look for, plays at a top-flight program," Reds scouting director Chris Buckley said from Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati. "We're thrilled to have him. For me, he was the best athlete in the draft, so we're excited to have him with the eighth pick."

"He's a top-flight center fielder, he's got all the skills," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "We're just real pleased to get him. I trusted Chris and his staff to do the right thing, and pick the best player in each round."

Turn Off Ads?