Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever edited/created a Wikipedia entry?

Has anyone ever edited/created a Wikipedia entry?

Just curious if any RZers have ever edited or created a Wikipedia entry.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Has anyone ever edited/created a Wikipedia entry?

I've edited a few when I ran across awful statements of fact, like the one on the Bats wiki that claimed they had outdrawn the Reds for years
    Go Gators!

Hahahahahahaha wow that's awful!

Probably a Scrubs fan.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I've edited some wiki entries that are golf related, primarily dealing with particular brands and models of golf balls, as well as different metals/elements used in forged golf clubs.

or a delusional bats fan
    Go Gators!

I live on the JWICS version of this wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellipedia

I have also made a few minor edits on the regular wikipedia.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I admit to writing the line "Castro is the villain of the popular Reds message board Redszone" on Juan's wikipedia. It's a factual statement.

I've also updated a few players profiles to change their team to the Reds after we signed/traded for them.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I updated one that had Brandon Claussen picture inverted. It was weird.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I've actually updated & Corrected several related to my company & my industry in the last year or so. Every few weeks I read something that some "less intelligent soul" entered related to space, missiles, rockets or rocketry that makes me wonder if kids learn math in school anymore.

I saw someone at work too the other date cite a wikipedia page in an analysis. Which blew my mind. Definitely don't count on expert opinions - with anyone able to edit there are some real gaps in there. I wonder if school teachers now have to deal with using Wikipedia as a citation and how they deal with it?

I've also done quite a few pages over at Baseball-Reference.com's Wiki Bullpen area.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Main_Page

It can be quite fun if you're into that sort of thing - starting from scratch can be a little difficult just getting started.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 05-18-2007 at 01:59 AM.

I've used wikipedia for papers before but never as a direct source. It's a good place to start when dealing with a particular subject area b/c the better written entries are referenced and you can jump directly to those referenced footnotes and evaluate that source on it's own merits.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I wonder if school teachers now have to deal with using Wikipedia as a citation and how they deal with it?
    It's absolutely forbidden. I never cite it and make sure to tell others to drop it if I'm proofreading their paper or something. I don't use it for research (that's what books and journals are for), just stuff like looking up information about books, movies, games, or tv shows.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    It's absolutely forbidden. I never cite it and make sure to tell others to drop it if I'm proofreading their paper or something. I don't use it for research (that's what books and journals are for), just stuff like looking up information about books, movies, games, or tv shows.
    Not at my kids' schools it isn't. It's unfortunate how often wikipedia entries come up as the first link in Google searches, so kids are drawn to it like moths to a flame.

I've edited a couple of wikipedia entries about the TV stations where I used to work.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 05-18-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: fixed punctuation
    /r/reds

WAGS

wiki's have sources at the bottom of the page, so its great to gather info, and then use the sorce at the bottom.

anywho wiki's are awfuly hard to create and make them stay. the admins there are uptight on who creates them and such. i tried making one for a gaming message board that has over 2000 members and has been around for 10 years almost and they said that we're not big enough/haven't been around long enough for a wiki entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Not at my kids's schools it isn't. It's unfortunate how often wikipedia entries come up as the first link in Google searches, so kids are drawn to it like moths to a flame.

I've edited a couple of wikipedia entries about the TV stations where I used to work.
    Are you talking about high school? I was referring to college. I don't remember if I was allowed to use Wiki in HS. I hope not.

Turn Off Ads?