Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade rumors.

Trade rumors.

I'm kind of reluctant to post these, but, I hope that you enjoy. I got these tidbits from my cousin/best-friend, who's a journalist in Cincinnati. He's got some rumors that may or may not have legs, as these are kind of an amalgam of journalistic feelings and tidbits from the FO that are swirling in the Nati. He is what I have, verbatim

the Reds rent ready to concede yet on this season, and it kid of looks like krivsky is still trying to put the team at the head of the pack.
    what I know is jerry narron's job is safe, which mirrors what krivsky has said to various outlets around town.
    the team is actively pursuing chad cordero from the nats, even though they filed a grievance against them just a day or two ago. krivsky is willing to drop it if they think they can complete a deal with washington for Bullpen help. bwden originally asked for dunn, and the reds balked. right now they are offering ken griffey jr., but they also want brian schneider if they are trading jr,. The reds also kinda want jon rauch, but that apparently would take joey votto and a pitcher that isnt homer bailey from the minors. they've also asked about shawn hill and jason bergmann who are both on the dl right now.

krivsky is also trying to dump kyle lohse, and he is scared out of his mind that at his current rate, he will have no trade value by the time a deal can be done. one offer they made was to the yankees for brian bruney, but new york didn't dig that at all, and theres kind of nothing going on there right now.

the reds have somehwat soured on david ross' bat. they've kind of curiously asked about aj pierzynski and michael barrett.

they are also somewhat concerned that aaron harang is hurt.

cincinnati may have asked oakland about rich harden, and they are interested in him as BP help not as a starter, but oakland wants bailey and more.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Trade rumors.

"cincinnati may have asked oakland about rich harden, and they are interested in him as BP help not as a starter, but oakland wants bailey and more."

That would be really bright. Take one of the most prominent young starters in baseball, and stick him in the bullpen.

If Billy beane trades Harden, he's probably hurt, or Krivsky is blackmailing him.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    "cincinnati may have asked oakland about rich harden, and they are interested in him as BP help not as a starter, but oakland wants bailey and more."

That would be really bright. Take one of the most prominent young starters in baseball, and stick him in the bullpen.

If Billy beane trades Harden, he's probably hurt, or Krivsky is blackmailing him.

The only possible reason why I could see doing so is because they think he'd last longer that way. And because they have "enough" starters and not enough relievers.

Oh my god, its rumors like these that keep me up at night. How much damage does Krivsky have to do before he's gone? I mean seriously, if even one of these rumors is true, Krivsky should be cleaning out his office Monday morning. I swear he's giving me an ulcer. I want danO back, and thats VERY wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mole44 View Post
    Oh my god, its rumors like these that keep me up at night. How much damage does Krivsky have to do before he's gone? I mean seriously, if even one of these rumors is true, Krivsky should be cleaning out his office Monday morning. I swear he's giving me an ulcer. I want danO back, and thats VERY wrong.
    I might be ok with Griffey to Washington for Cordero, esp. if no one else is sacrificed, like the aforementioned Joey Votto.

I'd do Junior for Cordero and Schneider right now. However, Junior won't accept a trade to the Nats. No way.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Jr in a Nats uniform would be an eyepopper..... besides his contract would about double the Nats payroll.... seriously it would be more than I think they are paying their whole pitching staff.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

No way Griffey accepts a trade to DC.

I do think the Reds would move Dunn for Cordero and Schneider. Interesting that Votto played LF for Louisville yesterday. Looking just beyond Votto, Jay Bruce is not that far away. A reckoning on Dunn (extend or trade) is going to have to happen soon if the Reds want more than draft picks for him after this year or next.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

My favorite quote:

the reds have somehwat soured on david ross' bat.
    Somewhat? What does it take for it to be an all-out sour?

I wonder if the Kriv is pushing the greivance against the Nats as leverage for a Cordero deal. Would be smart, albeit non-traditional.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    I wonder if the Kriv is pushing the greivance against the Nats as leverage for a Cordero deal. Would be smart, albeit non-traditional.
    I was thinking that very same thing. I am sure that this has come up in the discussions and may lower the hit the team would take getting Cordero, but these are after all just rumors.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    No way Griffey accepts a trade to DC.
    exactly. Why in the world would he want to go to DC? Does he miss Bowden that badly? (I'd guess no!)

Junior's playing for a ring at this point; I just can't see him agreeing to go to the one team with a worse record than the Reds.

I could see him agreeing to a deal that would put him with a good club, though.

I don't want WK mortgaging the future to patch up the bullpen some more. Is Cordero that good, really? His WHIP is 1.81 this year...

Uh, no offense, but that sounds like something someone made up, based on reading RedsZone and the Cincy Enquirer. typos etc...,

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    exactly. Why in the world would he want to go to DC? Does he miss Bowden that badly? (I'd guess no!)

Junior's playing for a ring at this point; I just can't see him agreeing to go to the one team with a worse record than the Reds.

I could see him agreeing to a deal that would put him with a good club, though.

I don't want WK mortgaging the future to patch up the bullpen some more. Is Cordero that good, really? His WHIP is 1.81 this year...
    Chad Cordero is a guy I wouldn't mind for the Reds to get their hands on, especially if they were able to use this grievance as a type of leverage to land him for below market value as zombie suggested. I don't think he'd be a savior of the Reds bullpen or anything like that, but I think he'd be a great place to start. His home run rates and walk rates are a bit high, but he also has a career K/9 of 8.32, and the Reds need relievers with that type of bat-missing ability.

Also, while I have no idea how much truth there is to anything in the original post, the Lohse tidbit caught my eye, because Lohse is going down the path of having zero compensation value if the Reds would just let him walk via free agency without trading him away. I'm not certain which specific standards Elias uses when determining Type A or B starting pitchers, but I thought those standards may have included won/loss record, ERA, and innings pitched (Elias doesn't use any type of advanced statistics for their free agent classifications). I do know that Elias uses the previous two seasons worth of statistics, which would be 2006 and 2007 for this upcoming offseason.

Let's assume for a moment that won/loss record, ERA, and innings pitched are used for starting pitchers. This is what Lohse has accomplished in 2006 and 2007 combined ...

6-15, 5.51 ERA, 179.2 innings

Simply put, that right there just won't cut it for compensation purposes. He's probably to the point now where he'd have to put up a 2.00 ERA over his next 100 innings pitched to jump into Type B status which would allow the Reds to gain a compensation pick for him.

It looks like if there's to be any return for Kyle Lohse, it's going to have to come via trade.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Chad Cordero is a guy I wouldn't mind for the Reds to get their hands on, especially if they were able to use this grievance as a type of leverage to land him for below market value as zombie suggested. I don't think he'd be a savior of the Reds bullpen or anything like that, but I think he'd be a great place to start. His home run rates and walk rates are a bit high, but he also has a career K/9 of 8.32, and the Reds need relievers with that type of bat-missing ability.
    Cyc, I agree that if Cordero can be had for less than market value- go ahead and go for it. But not for Dunn or Junior or Votto.

Interesting that Votto played OF yesterday. Perhaps a future for Dunn at 1B?

Turn Off Ads?