Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

Re: Site Feedback/Questions

I'm not sure "lack of logic" would be the way I'd put it exactly and I differ in that I think closing a thread when alot of members get out of line is more understandable than when it's only one or two members that have multiple posts that disrupts things.

But, otherwise, I think we're asking the same question: where should the focus be? Say you have a thread where people are being civil, asking thought provoking questions and engaging in civil discussions without the humor getting too out of line. If one or two members start making posts in the thread that cross the line into inappropriate stuff do you close the thread which ruins things for everyone else or focus on the specific poster(s) that are the problem? It almost seems like the current policy could enable a member in that if they're in a rotten mood and want to take it out on someone they could just start spouting off in any thread, end up with the thread closed, and possibly get away with it if they so choose.

I want to make it a point to say that I'm honestly not trying to start something with the specific poster in the thread that prompted this discussion. I have no problem with him/her. As far as I know, I don't know them at all and for all I know they could be someone that I could become good friends with offline. Who knows. That isn't MY focus. This is just about closing threads. I've a hunch that some may think this is much ado about nothing and a tired subject. I've been a member for less then a year so I don't know what happened and what was discussed and tried in regard to the site policies in the previous 8+ years. I do realize that this topic was touched on a few months ago along with the suject of a certain former Red. And yet it seems not much has changed. Maybe it's time.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Why have these nominations anymore?

Just let anyone and everyone in.

The latest crop of tORG inductees have really contributed in a positive way and elevated the level of discussion...
    Is this the appropriate place to post my opinion on the subject?

Is this the appropriate place to post my opinion on the subject?
    Sure

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I agree with redsfandan. It just makes more sense to me to edit individual posts instead of closing a thread. If it gets to a point where multiple posts are the problem, I think that's when it's sometimes logical to close the entire thread. If there were a semi-lengthy thread about Homer Bailey's promotion in which one person hinted that Bailey might have been using meth tonight, would it be more logical to close it or just edit the single post that violated the rules?

Come to think of it, I just mentioned meth. Are we going to close this thread now? I'm not trying to be antagonistic--I just really believe there is a lack of logic going on.
    Hit the nail on the head there.

Some mods let some threads run their course, others carry the padlock with them at all times.

There's just no consistency with RedsZone, except for the fact there is inconsistency. So, RedsZone is consistently inconsistent.

But the biggest inconsistency is how mods mod this board. But at least they're consistent in that inconsistency as well, right?

SunDeck quality thread, tORG style

Some mod locked this thread b/c it was in tORG, but if this thread was started in the SunDeck, it would probably be 5 pages long by now...

SunDeck quality thread, tORG style

Some mod locked this thread b/c it was in tORG, but if this thread was started in the SunDeck, it would probably be 5 pages long by now...
    I'm not the one who closed that thread but I'm wondering - what exactly is your issue here?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'm not the one who closed that thread but I'm wondering - what exactly is your issue here?
    Why have tORG and the SunDeck if the lines separating the two forums are becoming increasingly blurred?

Why have tORG and the SunDeck if the lines separating the two forums are becoming increasingly blurred?
    I'm not sure I understand your point - on one hand, you assume the closed ORG thread would have been allowed to remain open in the Sun Deck, but in your next post, you're saying the two forums are more or less the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your point - on one hand, you assume the closed ORG thread would have been allowed to remain open in the Sun Deck, but in your next post, you're saying the two forums are more or less the same?
    Yes, I assume the closed tORG thread would have run for awhile on the SunDeck, whereas since it was a thread in tORG, it got the padlock. Not a double standard, but the mods trying to hold tORG to a higher standard.

My other point is that what's the point in having tORG and the SunDeck if posters start threads like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Not a double standard, but the mods trying to hold tORG to a higher standard.
    That is, and always has been, one of the main points of the forum's existence; if it wasn't, we wouldn't have the nomination system in place that we do. I fully support the effort to ensure that those with ORG access are held to a high standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    My other point is that what's the point in having tORG and the SunDeck if posters start threads like that?
    We don't want posters to start threads like that; hence, it was (correctly) closed and the issue has been addressed.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

A bad loss and the emotional aftermath will bring out the worst in anyone from time to time -- even otherwise respected and quality posters.

I don't know how you'd ever keep even an invite-only forum completely free from the occasional garbage post or thread. It happens -- it gets dealt with.

BTW -- I closed the thread. If I'd seen a thread like that in the Sun Deck, it'd have been closed just as fast. I'm usually one to let things run their course a bit before jumping in, but this thread added absolutely nothing to the discourse. Easy call for me, and I'd do the same thing 10 times out of 10 on any forum I happened to be moderating.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I don't usually have any issue with closing threads or any of the moderating or moderators for that matter. I think they do a great job and I won't even suggest that is "for the most part", they just do a great job period.

However on ocassion a thread might be locked or threatened to be locked for things that I think are awfully ticky tack. But I don't put that on the moderators so much but with the rules in general. I mean if the rules say a particular topic cannot be discussed in a certain area of the board or even anywhere on the site then I can't begrudge a moderator for enforcing said rule. Sometimes some might feel a moderator is getting a bit carried away with his/her interpretation of a particular rule and that might be a fair point to consider. I know for example we aren't to discuss minor league stuff in the ORG but to an extent one is relevant to the other so we should have some leeway there to hash things out sometimes. For example I was in a thread just earlier and a moderator suggested we get back on point or risk having the thread closed. I could see how the moderator felt like we were getting off the point but I felt like in order to make one point that was relevant to the thread and forum we had to make another point which didn't belong in that forum but was still relevant IMO to the discussion. Now by rule the moderator was well within their rights to lock it up and to be fair again I could see how the mod could see this as a change of topic but I felt like once we put to bed this point it would lead us right back on track of the original discussion. But without that point the original discussion was mostly moot IMO.

But on to my main point I think outlawing if you will a particular subject that is baseball related is extremely tough to swallow. A couple of examples.

Adam Dunn
    Drew Stubbs
    Sabermetrics vs. Traditional thinking

Now all 3 of these topics get people heated and rightly so perhaps and really it's not so much about the 1st 2 as it is about the final topic there. But I just don't get the outlawing of discussing, debating or even flat out arguing about any of it. We aren't throwing knives at each other here and we aren't using curse words so what's the problem? Isn't this a place for getting to the bottom of it all? I know there have been posters who have come here with a certain view about baseball and who now have a completely different view or at least an altered view of it. And if it weren't for those heated debates in which people got so wound up that they ultimately did their best analysis/explaining we wouldn't be seeing the rise of intelligent baseball conversation all over the place. Go look at other forums that I know didn't have this type of talk in it when I came here to RZ, now they do. Some small samples of course but it's begun to spread is the point.

As far as I see it Adam Dunn, Stubbs, Sabremetrics and the like must be discussed, at length, ad nauseum and frankly even heatedly. Without that we get no where.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I know there have been posters who have come here with a certain view about baseball and who now have a completely different view or at least an altered view of it. And if it weren't for those heated debates in which people got so wound up that they ultimately did their best analysis/explaining we wouldn't be seeing the rise of intelligent baseball conversation all over the place.
    Count me as one of those posters. This board changed my thinking on Sabremetrics.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I have the ability to respond to a post in the Sun Deck forum, but can't create a new topic. Is there a minimum post count needed before I'll be able to start a new thread or something?
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I have the ability to respond to a post in the Sun Deck forum, but can't create a new topic. Is there a minimum post count needed before I'll be able to start a new thread or something?
    Yes - please reread the "About Us" section you agreed to upon registration.

Turn Off Ads?