Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

Re: Site Feedback/Questions

Posts are disappearing quite frequently tonight. I've seen probably half a dozen threads where they've disappeared. I'll try to get some links if I see it happen again.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

OK, from talking to vBulletin, I think I've finally figured out what the problem is. We signed up with our new host prior to our contract with the old host expiring to ensure we were getting what we were paying for with the new host before canceling with the old one. Even though the DNS settings have been updated to point to the new host, it appears having service with both hosts is causing the issues we're seeing, particularly missing posts. This is likely due to some posts going in the new database while others are still going in the old database (don't ask me what determines what goes where). As a result, I have asked GIK to cancel with our old host immediately, but until that service is cut off for good, unfortunately, I expect this still to be an issue. I apologize for the inconvenience...this will be resolved as soon as humanly possible. Thanks for your continued patience.

For a Level Playing Field

Home and work...

I see posts at home that I do not see at work. I see posts at work that I do not see at home.

It is like having two RZs. As Old Milwaukee beer says, "It don't get any better than this!" lol

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Home and work...

I see posts at home that I do not see at work. I see posts at work that I do not see at home.

It is like having two RZs. As Old Milwaukee beer says, "It don't get any better than this!" lol
    I've been having the same issue. Not that I post at work or anything.

So is Boss saying that there's a Bizarro Redszone? If I happen to land in Bizarro Redszone, does everyone love Gomes' defense and Janish's bat?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I have found the trigger for the two versions of Redszone:

If you include the "www." in the address bar, you get a different Redszone than if you do not. For example, pull the following up right next to each other:

http://redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

If you're seeing what I'm seeing, there are very different posts depending on the address you use. Which one is the "real" Redszone? I haven't a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I have found the trigger for the two versions of Redszone:

If you include the "www." in the address bar, you get a different Redszone than if you do not. For example, pull the following up right next to each other:

http://redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

If you're seeing what I'm seeing, there are very different posts depending on the address you use. Which one is the "real" Redszone? I haven't a clue.
    Excellent find...let me get to the bottom of that.

I have confirmed the "version" with the www is the correct version that's pointed to the new host. So that we don't lose anymore posts than we already will, I have shut down the forum on the old host (redszone.com without the www). As far as the long term solution, I have to figure out if something wasn't done that needed to be done on our end that would account for this or if the DNS change has not propagated to the redszone.com address.

Thanks again for the fantastic find, wolfboy...this has been driving me nuts for the past several days.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Can you provide the URLs to a thread or two to see if the issue exists on my end? Thanks...
    This thread is the one that I was seeing it happen on. I'd hit refresh and it'd go back to normal, then I'd come back later, and I'd see the same thing (not the same posts) happening again. Hit refresh again and it would fix itself.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

All,

I've made a short-term fix that should address the losing posts issue by redirecting all traffic from redszone.com to www.redszone.com. I'm looking into the root cause for the long-term fix. Please refer to the announcement for additional details. Thanks again to wolfboy for figuring out something I've spent the past several days ineffectively trying to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I have confirmed the "version" with the www is the correct version that's pointed to the new host. So that we don't lose anymore posts than we already will, I have shut down the forum on the old host (redszone.com without the www). As far as the long term solution, I have to figure out if something wasn't done that needed to be done on our end that would account for this or if the DNS change has not propagated to the redszone.com address.

Thanks again for the fantastic find, wolfboy...this has been driving me nuts for the past several days.
    Happy to help. It's was driving me nuts as well.

I hereby nominate wolfboy as chief investigator of Redszone internal technical affairs in assisting the smooth transfer of servers. It's a lengthy title that will require two business cards at all times, but you'll be responsible for the printing costs.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Per our new host, they have found and fixed the problem with redszone.com. They mentioned it could take up to 12 hours to take effect.

Still had problems late yesterday, even with the HTTP:///www.redszone.com.

No problems this morning with just redszone.com

Great job!

I have read several threads about preserving the quality threads vs. over-moderation and decided to pitch an idea. The idea may not be possible, or perhaps it was considered and rejected - but here it is:

Is it possible for each member to select who can and who cannot comment on their thread via their contacts? Perhaps they could not allow ignored posters or allow only friends to comment? It this was possible, much of the 'policing' would be done by the individual members. If this was coupled with some other policies, it could lead to a more civil discussion.

Just to expound, you could also add other requirments to the forum. Theoretically, every elected member has to have 35 or so yes votes to enter the ORG. A yes vote means the new member is added to the friends list of those who vote them in. If ever they drop below 35 votes, they lose the ability to start their own threads in the ORG. In this way, someone elected who then then becomes increasingly rude would have fewer and fewer outlets for their snark. And if they drop below 20 or so friends, perhaps an exclusion from the ORG is warranted.

This idea would create some problems. There would certainly be an adjustment period. Some would also complain about forming cliches or popularity contests. But in spite of this, I believe relying on each individual's judgement will promote much more civil discussion than relying soley on moderators to enforce subjective rules. Wheras, the current system keeps people from breaking rules with obvious, over-the -top criticisms, it does not have penalities for small, repeated rude behavior. There would always be a cost to being rude with the new system. I believe tapping into the group perception would make the forum a better place and save the mods a lot of work.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I have read several threads about preserving the quality threads vs. over-moderation and decided to pitch an idea. The idea may not be possible, or perhaps it was considered and rejected - but here it is:

Is it possible for each member to select who can and who cannot comment on their thread via their contacts? Perhaps they could not allow ignored posters or allow only friends to comment? It this was possible, much of the 'policing' would be done by the individual members. If this was coupled with some other policies, it could lead to a more civil discussion.

Just to expound, you could also add other requirments to the forum. Theoretically, every elected member has to have 35 or so yes votes to enter the ORG. A yes vote means the new member is added to the friends list of those who vote them in. If ever they drop below 35 votes, they lose the ability to start their own threads in the ORG. In this way, someone elected who then then becomes increasingly rude would have fewer and fewer outlets for their snark. And if they drop below 20 or so friends, perhaps an exclusion from the ORG is warranted.

This idea would create some problems. There would certainly be an adjustment period. Some would also complain about forming cliches or popularity contests. But in spite of this, I believe relying on each individual's judgement will promote much more civil discussion than relying soley on moderators to enforce subjective rules. Wheras, the current system keeps people from breaking rules with obvious, over-the -top criticisms, it does not have penalities for small, repeated rude behavior. There would always be a cost to being rude with the new system. I believe tapping into the group perception would make the forum a better place and save the mods a lot of work.

Just a thought.
    Thanks for the feedback. It is not possible to do what you're proposing; though you put some thought into this, which I always appreciate, even if this were possible, I would not be in favor of implementing it because it inhibits discussion rather than promotes it. You're always going to have a handful of people that disagree with the rules or enforcement of them, but I don't see anything subjective about them. I do agree with your point about the small, repeated rude behavior and that's probably something we need to look into more carefully and frequently to the extent that the moderators' free times allows. Thanks again...

Turn Off Ads?