Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

Re: Site Feedback/Questions

I'm getting the database error again tonight. Just letting you know Boss, thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Does one web browser tend to be worse than another?

I use google most of the time. I don't like using explorer, but I will. I'll use Mozilla, too.

It's like every third attempt is a database error.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Does one web browser tend to be worse than another?

I use google most of the time. I don't like using explorer, but I will. I'll use Mozilla, too.

It's like every third attempt is a database error.
    No, it's not browser dependent.

How long is the cookie time-out? If I read 2 or 3 threads and then compose a post, it seems like I'm getting timed out in maybe 15 minutes?

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    How long is the cookie time-out? If I read 2 or 3 threads and then compose a post, it seems like I'm getting timed out in maybe 15 minutes?
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but once you click on a thread (or mark an entire forum as read), that thread should be marked as read until there's a new post or posts to it. If I click on a thread, wait 15 minutes and if there's no new responses during that time, the thread should still be marked as read. That's how it correctly works for me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but once you click on a thread (or mark an entire forum as read), that thread should be marked as read until there's a new post or posts to it. If I click on a thread, wait 15 minutes and if there's no new responses during that time, the thread should still be marked as read. That's how it correctly works for me, anyway.

If I log in and browse the site for awhile, then decide to respond to something, I go to the quick reply box, type up my comment, click on "submit reply" and get a message that I am not logged in and a box appears for me to log in again. Setting a "time out" cookie is a characteristic of some forum software which can be useful when people are using public computers in order that the log-in expires after a certain amount of time. So I was just wondering what the time out setting was.
    Last edited by Simon Rhymon; 04-18-2011 at 06:23 PM.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

the site cookies are set to expire at the end of the session.

Change your url, cookie vanishes.

Login top of page, be sure to click "remember me" if you want the cookie to set.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    If I log in and browse the site for awhile, then decide to respond to something, I go to the quick reply box, type up my comment, click on "submit reply" and get a message that I am not logged in and a box appears for me to log in again. Setting a "time out" cookie is a characteristic of some forum software which can be useful when people are using public computers in order that the log-in expires after a certain amount of time. So I was just wondering what the time out setting was.
    Gotcha, now I see what you're asking. Westofyou's response is correct: click the "Remember me" checkbox in order for the cookie not to expire; otherwise, it does within a fairly short timeframe (not sure exactly how long).

I just checked and it's set to expire after 900 seconds / 15 minutes of inactivity if you don't check the box.

are there any guidelines on adding jpgs? I've added some to threads but they seem to be hogs and load slow.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I brought up a notion in an ORG thread yesterday that seemed to get some support. Could there be a policy to put some legs under it?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Maybe if the folks who post on this board didn't concentrate all of the discussion for each Reds player into a single thread for that player, there would appear to be more discussion about Reds? This isn't Wikipedia. I don't see why we feel the need to be so... organized.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thank you.

I agree, the amalgamation of talk into game threads only, minor league only, tend to stifle the jazz that baseball talk can produce.
    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Definately agree with the above quote as well as with WOY's reply.

Rem
    I'd like to suggest immediately closing down any open-ended ORG thread about a single player that's over 100 posts, in an effort to get the discussion there to be more topic-based again. This current aggregation of posting into player-focused threads makes the ORG much less topical and IMO, less interesting to read.

It also has the effect of amplifying discussion of baseball topics that aren't Reds-related and making the ORG seem less focused on the Reds than it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I brought up a notion in an ORG thread yesterday that seemed to get some support. Could there be a policy to put some legs under it?

I'd like to suggest immediately closing down any open-ended ORG thread about a single player that's over 100 posts, in an effort to get the discussion there to be more topic-based again. This current aggregation of posting into player-focused threads makes the ORG much less topical and IMO, less interesting to read.

It also has the effect of amplifying discussion of baseball topics that aren't Reds-related and making the ORG seem less focused on the Reds than it probably is.
    I have no problem with that and agree with you from a readability standpoint. I endorsed the Spring Training pictures/update thread because a lot of people seemed to like that idea but I certainly never suggested we essentially have one thread per player. I don't know if this is something we need to "enforce" (I know you didn't use that word), but I want to make my stance on it clear that I've never suggested we go that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    are there any guidelines on adding jpgs? I've added some to threads but they seem to be hogs and load slow.
    No guidelines - there should be a way to include them as thumbnails to address the issues you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Gotcha, now I see what you're asking. Westofyou's response is correct: click the "Remember me" checkbox in order for the cookie not to expire; otherwise, it does within a fairly short timeframe (not sure exactly how long).

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Johnny Vander Meer

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Just a quick FYI. It's not the database error today, but rather very sluggish performance. I'd post (gamethread) and it would delay about 2 to 3 minutes before the "redirect" window shows up. Then another minute before the post & forum reappear. Normally for me this is a matter of about 2 seconds and then 2 more seconds. This problem was also causing double posts. Just thought you should know.

Turn Off Ads?