Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

Re: Site Feedback/Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    The discussion about the thread in question basically started and stopped with this:

This is from post 1 in the thread, and already the discussion is little more than baiting. The discussion that followed consisted of posts that can be summarized as:

-pointing out a flaw in the article's premise
    -historical context for why the article may be flawed
    -a personal attack (in a polite manner)
    -a personal attack (that has been deleted)
    -thread closed, with moderator statement

...and the first two responses were hardly stated in a way that read as "oh, wow, this article brings up a very good discussion about local issues. Let's provide counterpoint!"

A thread was started that had no future or ability to be discussed without becoming a flamefest.
    What you consider baiting, I consider stating an opinion. Are we not allowed to have those in the Political section anymore? It's not like other threads haven't been started with a strong opinion:

The Party of No! was praised by some for their selfish obstructionism but the reality is looking more and more like their screams of No! wasn't so much about blocking legislation and really more about an endemic laziness. They don't want to pay taxes. They don't want to work. Jeeps what an attractive political brand-for pot heads.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102385

Anyone want to defend this? I think the Tea Party Chickens are coming home to roost. Time to draw back a bit, eh?

As I said in the other thread, this is scary-crazy. Bachmanish, even. But it's real.

My guess would be these numbers would be greater in the South than elsewhere. Not that I think race plays into it....

I think it was Scalia that asked during recent arguments whether the lawyer thought that the south was more racist than other parts of the country, as if this were an absurd question. I'm not sure it would be proper to answer a Supreme Court justice, "Well, duh!"

Anyway, this is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if any of the Republicans on this board would defend it; I don't see a lot of radicalism. If so, go ahead.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101800

I didn't notice any of those threads being closed nor would I want that. I'd much rather have someone introduce a subject and give their "take" rather than simply saying "discuss".

In this case I introduced this subject of the gay lobby managing to shut down an innocent event at a family friendly amusement park along with my disgust. If someone can't handle that w/o a personal attack then that's on him. I posted the subject because I thought this is ridiculous that the gay marriage issue had this result at a non political venue. It was not my intention to bait anyone. I don't care about whoever "anyone" is. I care about discussing openly, provocative topics

2. Turn Off Ads?

The discussion about the thread in question basically started and stopped with this:

This is from post 1 in the thread, and already the discussion is little more than baiting. The discussion that followed consisted of posts that can be summarized as:

-pointing out a flaw in the article's premise
    -historical context for why the article may be flawed
    -a personal attack (in a polite manner)
    -a personal attack (that has been deleted)
    -thread closed, with moderator statement

...and the first two responses were hardly stated in a way that read as "oh, wow, this article brings up a very good discussion about local issues. Let's provide counterpoint!"

A thread was started that had no future or ability to be discussed without becoming a flamefest.

And yes, there are reasons to PM moderators when you have an issue rather than taking it to this sub-forum. Furthermore, PMing every poster who has a thread closed after 5 posts is ridiculous when 99.999999% of threads that are closed are shut down for very obvious reasons, such as flaming, being a duplicate, reaching 1000 posts, or inappropriate content. I thought that was pretty clear in this case too, that the thread needed to be shut down when it did because it had no potential for intelligent discussion following a first post about "gays screwing with traditional marriage" [sic].

So, the moral of the story (and this can be for everybody) is that if you want threads to remain open for discussion, don't start them with harshly worded and extremely controversial statements. This is true for all forums and sub-forums. For example, if you posted this link:

http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/9...-two-outs-reds

...with the title or opening statement "proof that Dusty Baker and Chris Heisey are morons who love to bunt like a fat kid loves cake!" then the thread probably won't last long. However, posting it with the title of the article and a snippet, and then asking for input or saying what you might have discerned from the article that could be a good discussion point, then it might be a good source of discussion.

This also seems like a good time to necro this thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70973

And allow people to start discussing it once again. What constitutes a healthy or good thread/post, and what doesn't? I am aware that we don't have the voting system in place any longer, but this is still a valuable resource for posters, new and old, to look through.

That sure sounds like you're oversimplifying the situation to me.

Again, this is what dabvu2498 posted when he closed that thread:

I realize that moderation is pretty lax in this sub forum but I'm going to shut this one down until the other mods/admins can take a look and discuss.

Thanks for your patience.
    That sounds to me like he intended to make another post in the thread after discussing it with other mods/admin. Doesn't it sound like that to you? He left the impression that he would get back to the thread. He didn't. That's on him.

As far as the rest of your points go it also seems to me that you were exaggerating a little. Maybe that's just my impression. But, I just don't think that thread was THAT different than what I've seen in other threads (that have remained open) in that forum. If you don't believe me take another look. But, if you look at the first page of threads in that forum that's the ONLY thread that is closed.

Then my advice would be to report the threads in question instead of comparing situations.

The entire moderating team agreed that the post in question was baiting, so the thread got closed before another "discussion" on one of the testiest topics in American culture got out of hand.

Maybe the post was an oversight, you would have to ask dabvu about that. I'm trying to express that posting threads with inflammatory beginnings generally don't foster productive discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

5. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-23-2013),westofyou (09-10-2013)

Then my advice would be to report the threads in question instead of comparing situations.

The entire moderating team agreed that the post in question was baiting, so the thread got closed before another "discussion" on one of the testiest topics in American culture got out of hand.

Maybe the post was an oversight, you would have to ask dabvu about that. I'm trying to express that posting threads with inflammatory beginnings generally don't foster productive discussion.
    I made it clear that I didn't think those other threads should be closed. Knowing that, why would I report them?

There's a disconnect between the moderators and those of us being moderated. I don't understand why the MODs unanimously considered my post to be baiting yet did nothing about the other threads I mentioned earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    That's the other thing that I don't get. Couldn't he have just added a post to that thread with an explantion?
    I would agree that I probably should have posted some sort of explanation when the mod staff decided that the post should remain closed. I've told this to SeaRay this morning when he and I had our discussion via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I'm only addressing only this part since the rest was directed specifically at Sea Ray.

Maybe you're right and there IS a reason why dabvu2498 can't post an explanation in that forum so everyone that frequents that (private) forum has a better understanding of what is, and isn't, acceptable. I can't think of one but, who knows, maybe there is one.

I understand firsthand that being a mod is a thankless job where you have to deal with people that either don't, or can't, be civil. That shouldn't mean you should sink to their level. Jojo, I can understand if you think Sea Ray was out of line. I just don't think dabvu2498 really handled the situation any better.
    To the bolded portion -- there was.

As I said in the thread in question, I shut it down so that the mods could review it. We did and decided it should remain closed. I should have done so in the thread in question, but really didn't think to do so until it was too late and was being discussed in another thread.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 09-10-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There's a disconnect between the moderators and those of us being moderated.
    Then feel free to ask questions and get clarification via PM. Seriously. The mods (with the exception of myself) are all really nice decent folks. They'll answer your questions and try to explain things as best they can. But sometimes you have to take the initiative.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

9. Likes:

Boss-Hog (09-10-2013),TeamCasey (09-19-2013)

I made it clear that I didn't think those other threads should be closed. Knowing that, why would I report them?

There's a disconnect between the moderators and those of us being moderated. I don't understand why the MODs unanimously considered my post to be baiting yet did nothing about the other threads I mentioned earlier...
    Your thread was reported. The others were not. The moderators generally don't sweep through the politics sub-forum as they do the ORG and SD and MLT forums, as the members of the politics forum have been made aware. Ergo, we are only made aware of what we see, and then we evaluate based on that. We decided that the thread wasn't a productive one and closed it.

I don't know how to make it more clear. It's a pretty linear process.

Furthermore, what a poster deems to be acceptable or not acceptable has very little bearing on the rules of the site. I'm sure that there are posters here who use profanity on a regular basis in their homes, or maybe even their workplaces. Profanity in posting might be acceptable to them. However, it isn't within the scope of this website, and therefore those threads and posts get closed or deleted. This case isn't so different, as we have a rule against baiting and the thread was viewed as baiting.
    Last edited by Plus Plus; 09-10-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

11. Likes:

Joseph (09-14-2013),Larkin Fan (09-23-2013)

Your thread was reported. The others were not. The moderators generally don't sweep through the politics sub-forum as they do the ORG and SD and MLT forums, as the members of the politics forum have been made aware. Ergo, we are only made aware of what we see, and then we evaluate based on that. We decided that the thread wasn't a productive one and closed it.

Furthermore, what a poster deems to be acceptable or not acceptable has very little bearing on the rules of the site. I'm sure that there are posters here who use profanity on a regular basis in their homes, or maybe even their workplaces. Profanity in posting might be acceptable to them. However, it isn't within the scope of this website, and therefore those threads and posts get closed or deleted. This case isn't so different, as we have a rule against baiting and the thread was viewed as baiting.
    To add to this, don't take the above to mean Sea Ray's thread was closed solely because it was reported to us. We have plenty of reported posts (in all forums - not just that sub-forum) that have no business being reported (meaning they clearly do not violate any site rules).

13. Likes:

LexRedsFan (09-19-2013),Plus Plus (09-10-2013)

They call me "chef"

Can't we all just get along?

OK, fair enough. I just brought two threads to your attention this morning. Take your time and please answer this: Are those also examples of baiting in your opinion?

OK, fair enough. I just brought two threads to your attention this morning. Take your time and please answer this: Are those also examples of baiting in your opinion?
    Neither led with "the gays" so if nothing else, they have that going for them.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

For the record, this rainbow flag wearing poster was not the person that reported the thread.

18. Likes:

TeamCasey (09-19-2013)

Spiritofstlouis came in chirping about the Cards today and how we shouldn't be planning for the playoffs just yet.

Were his posts and subsequent replies deleted? I can't find them.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Spiritofstlouis came in chirping about the Cards today and how we shouldn't be planning for the playoffs just yet.

Were his posts and subsequent replies deleted? I can't find them.
    Yes they were.

The site is running great the past 24 hours or so.

But did anyone else have some sluggishness on page loading on Friday and Saturday?

Turn Off Ads?