Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
Results 346 to 360 of 540

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

  1. #346
    Member kbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,369

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    I'm getting the database error again tonight. Just letting you know Boss, thanks.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #347
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,584

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Does one web browser tend to be worse than another?

    I use google most of the time. I don't like using explorer, but I will. I'll use Mozilla, too.

    It's like every third attempt is a database error.

  4. #348
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Does one web browser tend to be worse than another?

    I use google most of the time. I don't like using explorer, but I will. I'll use Mozilla, too.

    It's like every third attempt is a database error.
    No, it's not browser dependent.

  5. #349
    real baseball - No DH
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    63

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    How long is the cookie time-out? If I read 2 or 3 threads and then compose a post, it seems like I'm getting timed out in maybe 15 minutes?

    "Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

  6. #350
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    How long is the cookie time-out? If I read 2 or 3 threads and then compose a post, it seems like I'm getting timed out in maybe 15 minutes?
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but once you click on a thread (or mark an entire forum as read), that thread should be marked as read until there's a new post or posts to it. If I click on a thread, wait 15 minutes and if there's no new responses during that time, the thread should still be marked as read. That's how it correctly works for me, anyway.

  7. #351
    real baseball - No DH
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    63

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but once you click on a thread (or mark an entire forum as read), that thread should be marked as read until there's a new post or posts to it. If I click on a thread, wait 15 minutes and if there's no new responses during that time, the thread should still be marked as read. That's how it correctly works for me, anyway.

    If I log in and browse the site for awhile, then decide to respond to something, I go to the quick reply box, type up my comment, click on "submit reply" and get a message that I am not logged in and a box appears for me to log in again. Setting a "time out" cookie is a characteristic of some forum software which can be useful when people are using public computers in order that the log-in expires after a certain amount of time. So I was just wondering what the time out setting was.
    Last edited by Simon Rhymon; 04-18-2011 at 07:23 PM.

    "Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

  8. #352
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,280

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    the site cookies are set to expire at the end of the session.

    Change your url, cookie vanishes.

    Login top of page, be sure to click "remember me" if you want the cookie to set.

  9. #353
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    If I log in and browse the site for awhile, then decide to respond to something, I go to the quick reply box, type up my comment, click on "submit reply" and get a message that I am not logged in and a box appears for me to log in again. Setting a "time out" cookie is a characteristic of some forum software which can be useful when people are using public computers in order that the log-in expires after a certain amount of time. So I was just wondering what the time out setting was.
    Gotcha, now I see what you're asking. Westofyou's response is correct: click the "Remember me" checkbox in order for the cookie not to expire; otherwise, it does within a fairly short timeframe (not sure exactly how long).

  10. #354
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    I just checked and it's set to expire after 900 seconds / 15 minutes of inactivity if you don't check the box.

  11. #355
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,135

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    are there any guidelines on adding jpgs? I've added some to threads but they seem to be hogs and load slow.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  12. #356
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,461

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    I brought up a notion in an ORG thread yesterday that seemed to get some support. Could there be a policy to put some legs under it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Maybe if the folks who post on this board didn't concentrate all of the discussion for each Reds player into a single thread for that player, there would appear to be more discussion about Reds? This isn't Wikipedia. I don't see why we feel the need to be so... organized.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thank you.

    I agree, the amalgamation of talk into game threads only, minor league only, tend to stifle the jazz that baseball talk can produce.
    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Definately agree with the above quote as well as with WOY's reply.

    Rem
    I'd like to suggest immediately closing down any open-ended ORG thread about a single player that's over 100 posts, in an effort to get the discussion there to be more topic-based again. This current aggregation of posting into player-focused threads makes the ORG much less topical and IMO, less interesting to read.

    It also has the effect of amplifying discussion of baseball topics that aren't Reds-related and making the ORG seem less focused on the Reds than it probably is.

  13. #357
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I brought up a notion in an ORG thread yesterday that seemed to get some support. Could there be a policy to put some legs under it?




    I'd like to suggest immediately closing down any open-ended ORG thread about a single player that's over 100 posts, in an effort to get the discussion there to be more topic-based again. This current aggregation of posting into player-focused threads makes the ORG much less topical and IMO, less interesting to read.

    It also has the effect of amplifying discussion of baseball topics that aren't Reds-related and making the ORG seem less focused on the Reds than it probably is.
    I have no problem with that and agree with you from a readability standpoint. I endorsed the Spring Training pictures/update thread because a lot of people seemed to like that idea but I certainly never suggested we essentially have one thread per player. I don't know if this is something we need to "enforce" (I know you didn't use that word), but I want to make my stance on it clear that I've never suggested we go that direction.

  14. #358
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    are there any guidelines on adding jpgs? I've added some to threads but they seem to be hogs and load slow.
    No guidelines - there should be a way to include them as thumbnails to address the issues you described.

  15. #359
    real baseball - No DH
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    63

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Gotcha, now I see what you're asking. Westofyou's response is correct: click the "Remember me" checkbox in order for the cookie not to expire; otherwise, it does within a fairly short timeframe (not sure exactly how long).

    Ok. Thanks for the info.

    "Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

  16. #360
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,662

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Just a quick FYI. It's not the database error today, but rather very sluggish performance. I'd post (gamethread) and it would delay about 2 to 3 minutes before the "redirect" window shows up. Then another minute before the post & forum reappear. Normally for me this is a matter of about 2 seconds and then 2 more seconds. This problem was also causing double posts. Just thought you should know.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25