Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 05/21/07 - 05/24/07: Reds vs. Nationals Series Preview/Review

05/21/07 - 05/24/07: Reds vs. Nationals Series Preview/Review

I figured I'd try something new here and attempt to generate some discussion about the upcoming Reds vs. Nationals series this week. The goal for this thread is to pack some more punch and generate a bit more in-depth discussion about the whole Reds vs. Nats series than one would find in a typical game thread (i.e. try not to just create a duplicate game thread here).

Anyhow, the Nats are in town for four games, and here's the tentative pitching matchups along with a quick statistical summary of the two teams. Discuss ...

Nationals (16-28, 5-15 road) at Reds (17-27, 8-12 home)
    Code:
    Mon  7:10pm   Speigner (1-0, 4.91, 82 ERA+)    at  Arroyo (2-4, 1.64, 166 ERA+)    FSN/WLW
    Tues 7:10pm   Chico (3-4, 5.44, 74 ERA+)       at  Saarloos (0-3, 5.09, 86 ERA+)   FSN/WLW
    Wed  7:10pm   Simontacchi (1-2, 5.19, 77 ERA+) at  Lohse (1-5, 4.75, 92 ERA+)      FSN/WLW
    Thur 7:10pm   Bacsik (0-0, 0.00)               at  Belisle (4-3, 4.58, 96 ERA+)    FSN/WLW
    Code:

RS/G    OPS+    BA    OBP    SLG    HR    2B    BB    SB

Nationals    3.23     79   .228   .305   .330    20    76   149    15
    Reds         4.50     96   .253   .320   .415    52    60   140    35

RA/G    ERA    ERA+    DIPS ERA    HR/9    K/9    BB/9    K/BB

Nationals    4.66   4.29     93       4.58      0.95   5.91    4.07    1.45
    Reds         4.73   4.27    102       3.79      0.76   6.69    2.89    2.31
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s.jsp?c_id=cin
    May 21

Nationals: Long reliever Levale Speigner started Wednesday's game against the Braves because right-hander Shawn Hill was placed on the disabled list with left shoulder and right elbow problems. Speigner didn't do very well in his start, lasting just four innings while giving up four runs on eight hits.

Reds: Arroyo went the distance but came out a 3-2 loser at San Diego when he allowed a bases-loaded, no outs walk in the bottom of the ninth to Kevin Kouzmanoff to end the game. Two of the runs in the game against him were unearned. Arroyo 10 hits with two walks and six strikeouts. The right-hander threw 129 pitches in the game but said he had plenty left because he used mostly changeups.

May 22

Nationals: Chico pitched six solid innings and gave up three runs on five hits against the Braves on Thursday. It's the first time this season he has had three consecutive solid starts. Chico found himself behind the eight ball by the fourth inning, when Chipper Jones gave the Braves a 2-0 lead with a two-run homer. But Chico bounced back by retiring the next three hitters.

Reds: After 20 relief appearances in 2007, Saarloos will be making his first start of the season for Cincinnati in the vacant fifth starter's spot. The right-hander threw 25 pitches to hitters in live batting practice on Friday to start the preparation. Since he's not a hard thrower, Saarloos wasn't concerned about pitch counts or having enough endurance to deep in the game if needed.

May 23

Nationals: In his last outing, Simontacchi pitched six solid innings and gave up three runs on eight hits against the Orioles. He struck out six batters and walked one.

Reds: Lohse provided the Reds with the shortest outing of his career -- 1 1/3 innings -- during a 9-4 loss vs. the Indians on Friday. He gave up seven runs, five earned, and seven hits. The right-hander, who was given 4-1 lead in the top of the second, surrendered six runs in the bottom half of the inning. Two of the runs were unearned, but Ryan Garko's three-run homer did a lot of the damage. Lohse became the first Reds pitcher to lose five straight starts since John Smiley in 1997. No right-hander on the club had done it since Tim Pugh in 1993.

May 24

Nationals: Last Saturday, Bacsik, playing in his first big-league game since 2004, pitched six shutout innings and gave up five hits against the Orioles. The only time Baltimore had a runner in scoring position against him was in the second inning, when Payton had a one-out double.

Reds: Despite lacking solid stuff, Belisle pitched 5 2/3 innings for a 10-5 win over the Indians on Saturday. The right-hander allowed four earned runs and 10 hits, including two homers, with two walks and one strikeout. His command was off and several pitches were left out over the plate.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 05/21/07 - 05/24/07: Reds vs. Nationals Series Preview/Review

It has been said elsewhere, but it sure holds true here, if the Reds are going to make hay, it's now. No reason they shouldn't be able to get out the whacking sticks on offense, and put up some serious runs. It would be easier to do that if the line-up didn't involved Juan Castro, but I am guessing he will play a bunch if Hamilton is not ready to go yet.

A complete sweep of that series has to be the goal.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Very nice Cyclone, I wouldn't mind this becoming a regular feature.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

The pitching matchups make games 2 and 3 very interesting. The Reds really should win games 1 and 4.

I posted a synopsis of the Nats' starters in another thread. It seems more appropriate here....

The Nats will run out 4 arms this series that are just the type of guys the Reds should feast upon. This might be the feel good series of the summer for the Reds. Hopefully, it can go a long way to getting them well again....

game 1: Levale Speigner, RHP (1-0, 4.91) vs. Bronson Arroyo, RHP (2-4, 2.64);
    game 2: Matt Chico, LHP (3-4, 5.44) vs. Kirk Saarloos, RHP (0-3, 5.09);
    game 3: Jason Simontacchi, RHP (1-2, 5.19) vs. Kyle Lohse, RHP (1-5, 4.75);
    game 4: Mike Bacsik, LHP (0-0, 0.00) vs. Matt Belisle, RHP (4-3, 4.58);

Speigner and Bacsik basically have been moved from the pen to the rotation because the Nats first choices have injuries.

Levale Speigner is a 26 yo rule 5 pickup from the Twins this season. He probably has the best arm of the starters the Nats will throw at the Reds this series (low 90's fastball and curve) but he projects as a reliever. Despite his decent velocity, he's never been a high strikeout guy and he's had some serious issues with command at higher levels. In 13 games for the Nats this year (12 from the pen), he's walked more batters than he's struck out.

Chico is an on again, off again lefty pitching prospect that has flamed out at several levels only to reemerge a new man (lefties have nine lives I guess). While a lefty, he's the Reds kind of lefty-flyball pitcher with command issues who doesn't strike out guys. Bring your glove for this one if you're sitting in the outfield bleachers.

Simontacchi doesn't even crack the Nats top 30 prospects list as judged by Baseball America. You might remember him as a spot starter for the Cards a few years back. His best attribute is his mental toughness which is good-when you top out at 89 mph with mediocre stuff, you'll need a thick skin. He does tend to keep the ball down though but his career FIP of 5.25 screams replacement level.

Mike Bacsik is a journeyman lefty pushing 30 years old with 11 minor league seasons under his belt. He doesn't strike out many but apparently his persistence is the stuff legends are made of....

The Reds are staring at 4 tees to start the week. The Reds are a mediocre team that is underachieving. The Nats are truly a horrid team playing to expectations.

My prediction: the Reds sweep this one and several guys are in the running for player of the week... Narron potentially parlays this into a two year extension (joking).

Hopefully Josh can get healthy enough to get healthy on some of these arms.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Man Pills

I'll say the Reds suffer a humiliating split, pulling out the last game in the last AB.

A split wouldn't surprise me.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    A split wouldn't surprise me.
    Well, considering that the Nats play in the brutal NL East and have had to go head-to-head against the best teams in the NL (Braves/Mets) several times, I think they'll be plenty hungry to pad their stats against some of this awful Reds' pitching. I actually think they'll knock Arroyo around a bit tonight, but probably not enough to beat him.

This is a momumentally AWFUL incarnation of the Reds. (Plus they're pitifully boring--no new blood or anything).

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    Very nice Cyclone, I wouldn't mind this becoming a regular feature.
    That's the goal, if this thread works! jojo has posted some great information already too.

Anyhow, it seems as if the Nats sport an incredibly weak offense with almost zero power, and this is the type of team that's a good recipe for allowing a pitching staff to get back on track.

Arroyo should mow through this team tonight - at least he's facing a team on paper that he should mow through - and we should have a victory if the offense can give him a couple runs in support. This is also a good opponent for a guy like Kyle Lohse to put up a nice start and help rebuild some of that trade value he's lost in the past few weeks.

Offensively, jojo is right that the Reds offense is staring at four tees so to speak. The Nats' pitching staff is walking everyone in the park too so it'd be nice to generate a ton of baserunners with free passes. If Reds hitters remember not to do their staff any favors by swinging at junk, they should be able to litter the scoreboard with some runs.

My realistic prediction is that the Reds take three of four. I'm hoping for a sweep, but I really think three outta four is a must.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 05-21-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Also, it would appear that the odds are better than 50/50 against that rotation that Phillips can run his hit streak to 26...

The Nats pythag record is 14-30 so they've played slightly ahead of pace so far. Surprisingly (at least to myself) their pitching has been better than expected and their hitting has been atrocious. They're really going to have to pick up the pace on the runs scored side or I think they'll hit some real trouble down the road as their pitching wears down as the season progresses.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The Nats have two guys in their lineup that are potentially scary...Ryan Church and D. Young. While the Nats play their home games in a pit and they've faced some great pitching, I'm still thinkin' the Reds staff is good enough....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Saarloss, Lohse and Belisle.

Can someone again tell me why they think the Reds starting pitching is improved over the long haul??
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Can someone again tell me why they think the Reds starting pitching is improved over the long haul??
    Harang and Arroyo have been signed to LTCs. Other than that, I have no idea why that thought is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Because we have Arroyo and Harang locked up and because I think Belisle can be a serviceable #4 or #5. But in all honesty they still need 2 good starting pitchers. Hopefully they can add one via free agency in the off season and Homer can be the other starting next year.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?