Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What should the Reds Draft this year

Ya can't teach speed...

What should the Reds Draft this year

Looks like a mock draft is going to get underway soon but on a more general level for those not participating in the mock draft, what do folks think the Reds should draft this year. Not specific players but rather positions. Given the number of quality middle infielders and outfielders already in the system I'll start things off by really going out on a limb (note thick sarcasm), and say they should load up on quality arms and a blue chip backstop or two.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What should the Reds Draft this year

I can't narrow it down to position, college/high school, or anything like that. The Reds need more talent in the system. Period. They need to add the best available talent each time they pick, regardless of position.

Having said all of that, I'd like to see them add a big time closer prospect in the first couple rounds (1-5) and a catcher with a good bat that actually projects as a MLB catcher, and actually projects to still have a decent bat in the majors before the 10th round.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Having said all of that, I'd like to see them add a big time closer prospect in the first couple rounds (1-5) and a catcher with a good bat that actually projects as a MLB catcher, and actually projects to still have a decent bat in the majors before the 10th round.
    With six picks in the first 110 picks overall, I sure hope they can find at least a decent catching prospect. I feel they should target some power bats this year as well. Besides Votto, Bruce, Francisco, and Stubbs, there aren't many guys in the system that project to have good power numbers.

The best available player available player at every pick with no regard to signability.

Best talent at each spot is for sure......also, lean arms when in doubt. Catchers are nice and all, but it sure seems to be a pretty tough position to draft. A lot of the touted ones don't pan out.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I want Matt Dominguez if he is there. Given no top end talent falls for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I can't narrow it down to position, college/high school, or anything like that. The Reds need more talent in the system. Period. They need to add the best available talent each time they pick, regardless of position.

Best available talent at each time is easier said than done...the 500 pound elephant in the war room will be MONEY.

They need to throw caution to the wind in this draft and go for it. They haven't seen this many early picks in a while. Since the Schramek disaster, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    The best available player available player at every pick with no regard to signability.

With no regard to position, college/HS, or signability TO AN EXTENT

I dont want them taking a Jeremy Sowers who going into the draft stated that he had every intention on going to Vanderbilt.

Especially in baseball you have to take the best player available... who knows what are needs will be in 3 or so years when these players come up.

We do need to pick up some Catching depth but should not reach for it... pick at value

I'm sick of seeing catchers drafted high just because they excel at defense and will possibly learn to hit. I mean, just draft a catcher with a good stick, and if his defense never comes around, move him to another position. At least in that case, the player will still have some role in your system. That way, you have more Joey Vottos and less Dane Sardinhas (okay, apples and oranges, but I hope you get my point).

That said, I'd like to see the Reds upgrade at catcher and shortstop. I'd also like to see a huge, power-hitting first baseman. Pitching is always a priority, and I'd recommend just about any team to have about half their picks be pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    With no regard to position, college/HS, or signability TO AN EXTENT

I dont want them taking a Jeremy Sowers who going into the draft stated that he had every intention on going to Vanderbilt.

Especially in baseball you have to take the best player available... who knows what are needs will be in 3 or so years when these players come up.

We do need to pick up some Catching depth but should not reach for it... pick at value
    Drafting Sowers was a cost cutting move, nothing more and nothing less. Sowers made it very clear prior to the draft that he intended to go to college unless he was given a big signing bonus, the Reds drafted him anyway and made no serious effort to sign him.

In my humble opinion this draft will speak volumes about how serious the organization is about winning. If they truly want to build a winning organization they'll take the absolute best player available, regardless of who their agent is or what kind of signing bonus they're looking for. On the other hand if they choose to draft the second or third best player available because they think they'll come cheaper, it will just show that Castellini isn't any more serious about winning than Lindner.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Drafting Sowers was a cost cutting move, nothing more and nothing less. Sowers made it very clear prior to the draft that he intended to go to college unless he was given a big signing bonus, the Reds drafted him anyway and made no serious effort to sign him.

In my humble opinion this draft will speak volumes about how serious the organization is about winning. If they truly want to build a winning organization they'll take the absolute best player available, regardless of who their agent is or what kind of signing bonus they're looking for. On the other hand if they choose to draft the second or third best player available because they think they'll come cheaper, it will just show that Castellini isn't any more serious about winning than Lindner.
    I'm aware that was the situation with Sowers, Im just saying signability needs to be taken into account to an extent. There are a lot of talented players out there who are set on going to college and we shouldn't throw a waiver at them bc the player is the best available. Our system needs talent that will sign with the reds... with that said we shouldn't pass on a player that wants to be a pro player but is demanding top $$

The Reds offered 2.5 mill to sign, he wanted a whopping 3.5 mill........right out of highschool. The Reds offer was actually a little high. I have always gone by the theory the Reds were a little short on payroll with the recession beginning and needed the signing bonus to cover, so they took a guy they knew wouldn't sign. They passed on the affordable Bonderman or Crosby(who I thought the Reds were going to draft considering Bowden's MO with HS pitchers and that they badly needed a new SS since Larkin's days were numbered).

The only HS pitcher worth taking is Harvey. He has the mechanical look for somebody like Homer Bailey though he isn't from Texas. The rest scare me especially the overhyped Porcello. The hope is that Harvey drops, college bat drops(yes Mr.Weiters). Not a especially good slot for college arms at the 15th. Since they have 2 sandwich picks, they can make some college arm hay during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    I'm aware that was the situation with Sowers, Im just saying signability needs to be taken into account to an extent. There are a lot of talented players out there who are set on going to college and we shouldn't throw a waiver at them bc the player is the best available. Our system needs talent that will sign with the reds... with that said we shouldn't pass on a player that wants to be a pro player but is demanding top $$
    I agree on all counts. There is no sense in wasting a pick on a guy that isn't going to sign, I just don't want the club shying away from taking the best players available because they're too cheap to pay the signing bonus.

With all that being said I'm very much looking forward to the draft. Given the current state of affairs the draft just might be the most exciting part of this entire season.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Best available talent at each time is easier said than done...the 500 pound elephant in the war room will be MONEY.

They need to throw caution to the wind in this draft and go for it. They haven't seen this many early picks in a while. Since the Schramek disaster, actually.
    Did you just call John Allen a 500 pound elephant?

I would agree with what a lot of you have already said, best available talent period.

Turn Off Ads?