Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Pedro Lopez off waivers from White Sox

Reds acquire Pedro Lopez off waivers from White Sox

Did not see this posted. This is from John Fay's blog.

The Cincinnati Reds today acquired IF Pedro Lopez off waivers from the Chicago White Sox and optioned him to Class AAA Louisville.

Lopez, 23, takes the 40-man roster spot of IF Jerry Gil, who was transferred to the 60-day disabled list.

In 41 games this season with Class AAA Charlotte, Lopez batted .242 with 2 HR, 11 RBI and 7 doubles. He split last season between Charlotte and Class AA Birmingham and established career highs with 27 doubles, 10 HR and 58 RBI while batting a combined .300 with 62 runs scored in 124 games.

Lopez had spent his entire professional career in the White Sox organization. He was signed by Chicago as a free agent on September 14, 2000. In 2005 he made his Major League debut and appeared in 2 games. Following that season, Lopez played for Peoria in the prestigious Arizona Fall League.
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 05-21-2007 at 01:46 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds acquire Pedro Lopez off waivers from White Sox

2006 was the first year he put up decent numbers in the minors. Is he supposed to be a good defender?

From what I've seen of Lopez and read of him. He's a slick defender with a growing bat. I've heard his arm is pretty good as well.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I wonder if the Reds decision to gamble on Lopez is in any way related to the news that Milton Loo is taking his ball and going home? One SS leaves, another one arrives.

And what becomes of Anderson Machado now that there is a new SS at Louisville? Will this finally be the time that Machado is let go, or is Anderson moving over to another position?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I wonder if the Reds decision to gamble on Lopez is in any way related to the news that Milton Loo is taking his ball and going home? One SS leaves, another one arrives.

And what becomes of Anderson Machado now that there is a new SS at Louisville? Will this finally be the time that Machado is let go, or is Anderson moving over to another position?
    There were 9 infielders on Louisville's roster prior to Lopez coming aboard. 4 of them are listed as middle infielders - Bellhorn, Bannon, Keppinger, and Machado.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    There were 9 infielders on Louisville's roster prior to Lopez coming aboard. 4 of them are listed as middle infielders - Bellhorn, Bannon, Keppinger, and Machado.
    Wow, they should really convert some of those guys to catcher or work on them as relievers.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

What does this mean to some of the younger propects at SS like Janish and Valaika? Maybe a change of positions?

Wow, they should really convert some of those guys to catcher or work on them as relievers.
    Anderson Machado the Closer!

Somewhere, Dan'O just shed a tear of happyness.

And yeah, I really have to think that a pitching starved team should start doing that.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    What does this mean to some of the younger propects at SS like Janish and Valaika? Maybe a change of positions?
    I don't think Janish will be changing positions. I think Valaika was expected to move to 2B at some point anyway.

This will have no impact on guys like Janish and Valakai.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Bannon is on the disabled list. He's also not much of a SS any more- he's gone the utilityman route, showing up at third and in the corner outfield spots as well.

Bellhorn also plays all over the infield in Louisville, but I think all of us know he's not a major-league SS and only a passing impression of a major-league 2B or 3B.

I think this is going to primarily impact Mr. Machado. And it's too bad, because dude just hit for the cycle this weekend to get his average up above .220.

Red Leader, good insight and it does make you wonder.

Ya can't teach speed...

Given that Janish spent the majority of spring training in the major league camp, I'm a bit surprised they didn't simply bump him up to AAA instead of going outside the organization to find another SS. From what I have seen in person and what I've read, Janish's glove is easily ready for AAA but the bat may be lagging behind. Although, his offensive numbers are in AA are respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Given that Janish spent the majority of spring training in the major league camp, I'm a bit surprised they didn't simply bump him up to AAA instead of going outside the organization to find another SS. From what I have seen in person and what I've read, Janish's glove is easily ready for AAA but the bat may be lagging behind. Although, his offensive numbers are in AA are respectable.
    I think the Reds didn't want to burn an option year on Janish by adding him to the 40-man roster.
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

Why does the article refer to the Arizona Fall league as Prestigious? What makes it so??

Turn Off Ads?