Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milton Loo calls it a career

Milton Loo calls it a career

Talked with several of the extended spring guys on Sunday. They have heard that the Reds have worked out a deal that allows Milton, one of the most respected and well-liked of the minor leaguers, and one of the purest hitters in the organization, to keep a portion of his signing bonus and leave baseball. There was talk of his commitment to his family and strong desire to be near them. The distance of Hawaii from Florida and the resulting travel difficulties was ultimately behind the final decision. If true, and I believe it is, this is a huge loss to the Reds. Overall, I do have to respect Milton's decision, even if it is hard to understand for all of us who would have loved to have had the opportunity. All my best to him and his family. Aloha

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Milton Loo calls it a career

wow, that's too bad if it's true.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man, that's really hard to believe, but I've seen that fargo is well respected and to be believed. He's a good prospect.

Some people just aren't cut out for travel and being away from home for long stretches of time. I can really see that being the case for someone from Hawaii which is the most remote population center in the world.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Bad news for the Reds if true.

I wish Milton Loo the best. It's tough to be away from family.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Wow, I was hoping to see him with Dayton soon.
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

He went to JC in Arizona and spent months at a time away from home. He may change his mind in the next year or two -- I assume the Reds will retain his rights.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Given my understanding, the Reds will retain his rights for the next 5 years. One of the guys that played with him at Yavapai said that Milton would sometimes head out and not be seen for a while. The assumption was that he went home. In the same sentence, this team-mate said that Milton would return for a game, take a few practice swings, and blast the first pitch. Usually stunning everyone, especially the opposing pitcher. Hopefully, Milton will stun us with a year or two off.
    Last edited by fargo55; 05-21-2007 at 04:00 PM.

That came out of no where. How many guys go into a season as a top 10 prospect and then retire for no reason? I wasn't as high on him as some, but this sucks.

Disappointing Hopefully after he lives as a civilian for a while, he'll do a Valiquette and come back.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I'd have to bet that Milton would be welcomed back. Valiquette has come back with a vengeance, looking stronger and with a noticeable sense of commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    I'd have to bet that Milton would be welcomed back. Valiquette has come back with a vengeance, looking stronger and with a noticeable sense of commitment.
    That's cool. To paraphrase the immortal 80's rockers Cinderella, sometimes...

You don't know what you got, till it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    I would imagine that Loo would be welcomed back as well. I mean they drafted him and followed him for a year and were patient with him coming out of junior college. I'd imagine they could wait on him to make a decision this year. He's not too old for his league now and he does have talent, but he doesn't have 2-3 years to make a decision either. I'd imagine if he decided to come back to playing ball by spring training next year they'd happily let him come back.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

That's too bad. His numbers were impressive, to say the least. Hopefully he changes his mind and returns to the organization.

Man, this really sucks. I was very high on Milton Loo as a prospect. His college numbers were terrific, but what really impressed me was the way he destroyed the ball in Rookie Ball last year. I really thought he was going to be a good one down the road. I hope he changes his mind and decides to return to the Reds organization.

Turn Off Ads?