Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milton Loo calls it a career

Re: Milton Loo calls it a career

Way to stick it to the team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Man, this really sucks. I was very high on Milton Loo as a prospect. His college numbers were terrific, but what really impressed me was the way he destroyed the ball in Rookie Ball last year. I really thought he was going to be a good one down the road. I hope he changes his mind and decides to return to the Reds organization.
    I saw him hit a couple of times. It was the sound of the bat hitting the ball that made you turn and look. Pure power. There are a rare few who can make you pay attention to a minor leaguer's batting practice. He could do it.

fargo any idea if they're retaining his rights?

Yes, it is my understanding that they will retain his rights. You bring up an intriguing thought: Would Milton be happier in a west coast organization? That begs the question, would he be amenable to a trade that would allow him to play for a geographically more proximate location? And if so, could we make that happen in a way that allowed the Reds something in return? Our top ten prospect for the same level of prospect from one of the California teams or even the Mariners? I don't know if any of this was discussed or even possible, but I hope that the best happens for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Way to stick it to the team.
    That's a bit harsh. If it makes him that unhappy, what's he supposed to do about it? Suffer?

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    That's a bit harsh. If it makes him that unhappy, what's he supposed to do about it? Suffer?
    Well, he did get to keep part of his signing bonus. On top of that, he used the team resources (coaching time, baseball equipment, etc.). I'm not saying he should not have done that, but the Reds do get the sour end of the deal.

Ya can't teach speed...

It might help getting him to the West Coast and I wonder if the Reds considered doing that to help him and them. On the other hand, California is still a haul from Hawaii and it's not like his family can just jump in the car and drive to come see him play. Not knowing what his families financial situation is, it may be too expensive to fly even to California.

Its a shame to see a talented player like Loo miss out on this kind of opportunity. I suppose there is a lot we don't know...maybe he just doesn't like baseball enough to put up with the hardships of minor league baseball. That's certainly ok, its obviously his choice.

Its not a reflection on Milton, but I've often wondered how this kind of thing can happen. Why wouldn't a club identify a player's propensity for this kind thing before they draft him, especially as a top 10 draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    Yes, it is my understanding that they will retain his rights. You bring up an intriguing thought: Would Milton be happier in a west coast organization? That begs the question, would he be amenable to a trade that would allow him to play for a geographically more proximate location? And if so, could we make that happen in a way that allowed the Reds something in return? Our top ten prospect for the same level of prospect from one of the California teams or even the Mariners? I don't know if any of this was discussed or even possible, but I hope that the best happens for all involved.

I've been to Hawaii once. Biggest mistake I ever made in my life was getting on the plane to come back.

Certainly can't fault anyone for wanting to leave the mainland & go back to live in Hawaii.

He was a 9th round pick. By then you're taking chances with guys. So, if you have a guy with big time talent, but needs some maturity, he's a good gamble.

Hopefully, with the Reds not taking all his bonus back, he'll have good feeling about the club.

In a year or two he'll probably feel differently. (I don't think this pick is in the loo, just yet )
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    That's cool. To paraphrase the immortal 80's rockers Cinderella, sometimes...

You don't know what you got, till it's gone.

I believe that was Joni Mitchell from 1970.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?