Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: NBA Lottery on Tuesday

Re: NBA Lottery on Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    2nd round picks don't have much value
    Actually, second rounders have more value than late-first round picks because guys taken in the second round are not given guaranteed slotted deals. A failed second rounder can be cut with no cap hit. A failed first rounder eats up cap space.

I suspect that, unless the Blazers see someone they absolutely love slide into the latter stages of the first round, they will end up trading a most of those second rounders for future picks. If someone does slide, they might be able to put together a package to move up as high as the #18-#22 range and snag an extra first rounder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Send the Pacers your earliest 2nd rounder and we'll send you ours for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    Actually, second rounders have more value than late-first round picks because guys taken in the second round are not given guaranteed slotted deals. A failed second rounder can be cut with no cap hit. A failed first rounder eats up cap space.
    True, but the last 1 still has a better chance of making it than a 2. Half of the 2s don't even make the roster, fewer still have any impact. Personally I'd rather roll the dice on someone at 27 or so than multiple second rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Half of the 2s don't even make the roster, fewer still have any impact.
    The same can be said of the guys chosen from #20 on down in the first round. The difference is, with a second rounder you can cut the rookie and keep a productive veteran in his place. With a first rounder, you are pretty much forced to carry him on the roster even if he sucks.

There is a reason you often see teams with late first rounders trade out of those spots or draft a euro player who won't be available for a few years. They are usually in the playoff hunt and want to insure that they aren't wasting a roster spot on a stiff with a bad contract.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post

I suspect that, unless the Blazers see someone they absolutely love slide into the latter stages of the first round, they will end up trading a most of those second rounders for future picks. If someone does slide, they might be able to put together a package to move up as high as the #18-#22 range and snag an extra first rounder.
    Best bet would be Acie Law out of Texas A&M. The Hawks and Clippers both could use a PG, but if Atlanta gets Conley and LA opts for something else, Portland could package the picks to move up for him.

At least I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Best bet would be Acie Law out of Texas A&M. The Hawks and Clippers both could use a PG, but if Atlanta gets Conley and LA opts for something else, Portland could package the picks to move up for him.

At least I would.
    It's unlikely Portland will be looking for a PG in this year's draft, unless it's Conley. They'd really like to resign Steve Blake, the Denver FA they traded for Magliore last summer. Or perhaps work out a deal with Philly for Andre Miller (Miller + Korver for Randolph? The salaries match) They've already got young PGs Jack and Rodriguez, so adding another rookie PG is not a priority, unless they want to keep the Oden/Conley show going. The roster "targets" are a veteran PG and a scoring SF, unless they draft Durant (don't be surprised...)
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    And to think they could've drafted Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but traded down to select Martell Webster (because they already had Seb Telfair)

But that was the old regime, the new GM (Kevin Pritchard) would've selected the BPA (Paul)

Portland also has (count 'em) four 2nd round draft choices, so look for Pritchard to be active. One proposal: deal ex-GA Tech PG Jarrett Jack and the four 2nd round picks to ATL and select Conley Jr. #3?

We all know what a genius John Nash was.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

What's Portland going to do? Anything they want.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And a hockey team to share their arena with.

Well the Preds were just sold....
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Well the Preds were just sold....
    Saw that, Canadian buyer too.... They have an out clause, Kansas City?

It's unlikely Portland will be looking for a PG in this year's draft, unless it's Conley. They'd really like to resign Steve Blake, the Denver FA they traded for Magliore last summer. Or perhaps work out a deal with Philly for Andre Miller (Miller + Korver for Randolph? The salaries match) They've already got young PGs Jack and Rodriguez, so adding another rookie PG is not a priority, unless they want to keep the Oden/Conley show going. The roster "targets" are a veteran PG and a scoring SF, unless they draft Durant (don't be surprised...)
    You know, my buddy (also a Sixers fan) and I were just discussing this yesterday, and I would be down for some sort of swap involving Miller and Randolph. Randolph has a lot of years left on his contract, but he'll just be turning 30 as it expires. A consistent 20 and 10 guy at the power forward position is just what the Sixers need. Now if I am Billy King, I am definitely starting out by offering Steven Hunter or Kevin Ollie along with Miller to get Randolph. I'd rather not see them give up Korver in that deal.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Just read this on Yahoo.

Twenty-four hours had yet to pass on the draft lottery transformation of the Portland Trail Blazers, and general manager Kevin Pritchard and his staff already had brainstormed a most intriguing idea: If they're going to draft Greg Oden, they should take a hard look at making a trade to get Mike Conley Jr. to come with him.

So the discussion is under way, a source close to the team and Oden said Wednesday night, about trading into the top of the lottery for a second draft pick to secure the franchise center's personal point guard. It would be a brilliant, bold stroke for the Blazers G.M., and here's the thing: Pritchard has the parts and the imagination to make it happen.

Does Pritchard have enough with Zach Randolph, a 20-and-10 low post scorer and rebounder, and Jarrett Jack, a competent point guard, as the backbone of a major trade? As it looks now, the Blazers are determined to find out.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Saw that, Canadian buyer too.... They have an out clause, Kansas City?
    They would get a very good arena deal in KC. Selfishly, I'd like one in Houston as I may end up moving there but don't think it would work.

How would a team do in Portland?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    I'd rather not see them give up Korver in that deal.
    Portland is perennially looking for a "stick" from the outside, and Kyle's one of the best. Martell Webster went into a funk in 2007 and is not fitting in with Pritchard's "culture" as well as was originally expected. So look for Webster to be included in a potential deal involving Randolph and/or Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    I am definitely starting out by offering Steven Hunter or Kevin Ollie along with Miller to get Randolph.
    Nate McMillian has asked Fred Jones to lose weight this offseason; the plan is to use Freddie in a veteran backup 2/1 role. I really don't see the Blazer's need for Hunter/Ollie. FWIW, Jones has a great relationship with Oden from his days in Indy
    Last edited by gm; 05-26-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    They would get a very good arena deal in KC. Selfishly, I'd like one in Houston as I may end up moving there but don't think it would work.

How would a team do in Portland?
    Portland for Hockey?

Probably as good as Nashville, couldn't say better though.

Turn Off Ads?