Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Those Who Lost Old Red Guard Access

Re: Those Who Lost Old Red Guard Access

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    And yourself, to burn bridges between myself and many others of Reds fans.
    I couldn't have said it any better myself. So I'll not.

Please email me though if you do find another place to post.

If money is needed take out a few ads like every other website or maybe stand on Pete Rose way with a jar like the rest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Redszone has been become a giant popularity contest/clique.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44283

So the Gang of 10 is more than a myth? :

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I guess when it comes down to it, I'm not made about not being in the ORG, I'm hurt more then anything. I take pride in being a good poster and a good Reds fan. I try to input knowledge and useful posts. I know sometimes I have beaten a dead horse (Edwin), but the only reason I did it is because I am a huge Reds fan and I thought/think the Reds were/are making a huge mistake.

To see that leader of the site doesn't think I am in the top 240 posters hurts. I guess there is nothing I can do about that now except move on and try to gain access.
    Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I'm stunned you aren't allowed in ORG. Same with OBM. I really don't care that much that I lost my ORG status b/c I don't post that much anyway. I read here everyday, and both you and OBM belong there. Especially considering some the ones who made the cut. However, I won't personally call anyone out.

I don't know what I would have done, but his sure as heck isn't it. It is simply put nothing more than a popularity contest.

I was in earlier, but now I am not. Oh well, I'll live.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

When I became an ORG member I was happy that I could post anywhere on the site but I honestly wouldn't have cared either way. There have always been incredibly insightful posts in both forums and there has been a lot of great newcomers to this site in the last couple years. Not that I am one to give advice to you folks out there but if I were I would say, relax, enjoy, and don't feel persecuted because you can't post in a certain spot on a baseball message board. It's not worth being upset about and if you are spending a lot of time angry or concerned about it then you should be happy that you don't have bigger worries. There are still plenty of great discussions that will take place in the Sundeck and you can still gather a ton of Reds information from the site.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Future Reds All Star

To be honest, I was a little upset that I wasn't let in either as I have been a member since 2000 and have paid my dues in more ways than one and as far as I know, have never broken any rules.

As far as post count, counting...I guess I understand that. It's not that I don't want to post. I just thought it was best I take a break from the baseball side of the board for a while. It became a very scary place to be and anyone who was here from the start would agree. Those who weren't have nothing to compare it to. The "clique" of people that get mentioned way to often are probably many of those people who were here and would like to see peace restored. If people decide to act like children, I think it may be best that they are treated like them. It's unfortunate though that the other 70% of the board has to pay.

All & all I believe Boss & GIK have done a great job with this board over the years. It has gone through change many times and those passionate about it have stuck around and dealt with it and I am sure they will again.

It honestly doesn't bother me too have lost ORG status, I understand why that is and I'm ok with it. Just another challenge for me in the end. What does bother me is that once you have "earned" your way there you can no longer post on the Sun Deck. I think that's the biggest tragedy here, it's got far less plusses than negatives.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Old Red Guard Reject

Hey I just want my little picture back under my name

TC 81190 and 2001MUGrad, msg me if you find some place decent and I'll join you.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Guys, this probably doesn't mean much (if anything) but it really was a very tough, long and mind-racking experience creating the ORG 'start up' list. It wasn't easy and we both knew we'd be called on it. It wouldn't have been right to farm the task out to anyone - it was our job, our call and we'll take all the heat for it.

I do want to say that with this system ORG membership is not concrete. You do have the ability to gain access, which some may receive shortly, via application or nomination. It may not be perfect, it may need 'tweeks' over time, but the foundation is solid and a much better way for us to ensure RedsZone - a place Boss and I have spent I don't know how many hours on - remains the place we envisioned it to be upon its creation in April of 2000.

I also hope you all decide to remain and contribute at The Sun Deck. I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post

When it became apparent that we were looking at making drastic changes, we were also in agreement that we should select a set number of existing ORG users whose posts and attitude towards others best exemplify the values that the site was founded upon. Along with input from the moderators, we trimmed the existing ORG access list down from over 450 to 240 because we felt it was a necessary step, due to the inflation that had occurred with the reputation system. That's not to say that those who no longer have access didn't deserve to be there (although I do feel that way about a handful of people). It is, however, a necessary evil in order to cut down the revised ORG member list to a number that GIK and I felt comfortable with.
    Question...if you felt the number needed to be lowered to 240 or so ORG members, is it a philosophy that you'll have to keep the number down??...I'm all for "cleaning the board up" as a rule and don't even have issue with being caught in the crossfire of the cleansing though I seem to pass the "markers of inclusion"...but I would be troubled if we ( I guess I mean the mods and leaders of RZ) didn't have the desire to include other worthy members into this group regardless of the amount of ORG members that would give us/you...I'd hate to think inclusion to the ORG is limited to a certain number of members rather than by person-by-person evaluation as to the quality of input they provide to the site...

Does that question make sense

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

To echo others, there was a cadre of folks who volunteered not to remain in ORG. Boss and GIK disagreed. That's what it comes down to. What Boss and GIK want. Since it's their forum, built from the ground up and into, frankly, a rather smashing success, that's what matters.

There are some of those that are not now in, but were, whose input and insight I have valued and will continue to value. I hope, selfishly, that you continue to post on SunDeck. I like reading the stuff. I like the opinions. If you choose to move on, I understand, but you will be missed. Still, in the end, it's Boss and GIK's call, and that is what matters.

There are plenty of places to still "interact" as it were, including the minors forum. SOSH probably is the road map, and there are good reasons why the founders went that route. For those that just missed under the "necessary evil" of the first cut that they had to make, it's not permanent and I am hoping that a bunch of you are able to share ideas in ORG soon.

The question does make sense and is very valid. My compliments for making the question sincere and not simply a velied slam [or not so veiled slam] against Boss, GIK and co.

I may be speaking out of turn here, but I think the desire is for controlled growth of ORG. They wanted to take things back to the roots of where things started [you'll note a great deal of the members are some of the original members obviously not all, but many] and they wanted to grow it from there. I suspect many of those that were 'close' on the list will be brought back in over the next few weeks and months. That clearly doesn't mean everyone who had access will immediately regain it, but in time they will have the opportunity. Everyone has that opportunity and while controlled growth is desired, I don't think Boss and GIK will allow people to sit outside looking in, just because of a numbers game in the long term.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    The question does make sense and is very valid. My compliments for making the question sincere and not simply a velied slam [or not so veiled slam] against Boss, GIK and co.

I may be speaking out of turn here, but I think the desire is for controlled growth of ORG. They wanted to take things back to the roots of where things started [you'll note a great deal of the members are some of the original members obviously not all, but many] and they wanted to grow it from there. I suspect many of those that were 'close' on the list will be brought back in over the next few weeks and months. That clearly doesn't mean everyone who had access will immediately regain it, but in time they will have the opportunity. Everyone has that opportunity and while controlled growth is desired, I don't think Boss and GIK will allow people to sit outside looking in, just because of a numbers game in the long term.
    That's a pretty accurate summation. You're certainly not speaking out of turn - thanks for posting that.

When I became an ORG member I was happy that I could post anywhere on the site but I honestly wouldn't have cared either way. There have always been incredibly insightful posts in both forums and there has been a lot of great newcomers to this site in the last couple years.
    Yeah. I'm coming from the other side. Rightly or wrongly I retained org status. FWIW, this morning there were several interesting posts on the sundeck that I wanted to weigh in with my opinion. Can't do it. There was nothing in the ORG that I felt I could contribute to. (There is a really fine thread about Freel's baserunning. I just don't have anything to add to it)

I really don't like having part of the site cut off. The ability to interact with posters tells me a great deal about them. Without the ability to do that, I'm not sure how meaningful any vote will be.

That sounds...jerkier than I mean for it to. The quality of discourse here is great. I don't think there is anyplace reds focused on the net that has better discussion. I understand a moderator has to do what a moderator has to do.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I've also been "Encarnacioned" to the Sun Deck which greatly aggravates me. I don't recall ever breaking any rules and I had a pretty good reputation, from what I recall.

I even made a donation to the site this year and was planning to do so annually.

This just seems capricious and arbitrary. I have not yet decided if I will stick around.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?