Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    186

    44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

    The Reds completed 44 games yesterday -- with a record of 17 - 27. What is so significant about that point in time during this season?

    Back when then Reds manager Tony Perez was unceremoniously dumped by Jim Bowden -- the club had just finished 44 games into the season. At that time, the criticism leveled at Bowden was that perez was not given a fair shot -- by being dismissed so early into the year.

    Now, at that exact same point in time -- Jerry Narron's future is one of the club's most fervent topics of discussion.

    The fact that the club has crossed this "milestone" might mean that Krivsky and Castellini were getting closer to realistically reassessing Narron's future.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member keeganbrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,474

    Re: 44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

    Thought it had to do with a certain hitting streak that is getting approached. Man Im gonna miss the game threads.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

  4. #3
    Something clever pahster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,908

    Re: 44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

    I'd argue that a fundamental difference exists between Tony Perez and Jerry Narron. At the time that he was fired, Perez had only managed those 44 games. Narron, on the other hand, has a larger body work to draw conclusions from. He has managed 595 games, 551 more than Perez. Thats gotta be a large enough sample to draw solid inferences from regarding his managerial abilities and tendencies.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    186

    Re: 44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

    Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I'd argue that a fundamental difference exists between Tony Perez and Jerry Narron. At the time that he was fired, Perez had only managed those 44 games. Narron, on the other hand, has a larger body work to draw conclusions from. He has managed 595 games, 551 more than Perez. Thats gotta be a large enough sample to draw solid inferences from regarding his managerial abilities and tendencies.
    Good point

  6. #5
    So long old friend rotnoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: 44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

    And in those 595 games, he's had exactly zero winning seasons. I've stated this in other threads, though, it's not time to fire Narron. We'd only be setting ourselves up for 2 and half years of Bucky Dent. I don't think anyone honestly wants that.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

    -Pete Rose

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Re: 44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

    If the Reds don't do some damage during this home-stand, then I believe Narron is toast.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25