Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

The Reds completed 44 games yesterday -- with a record of 17 - 27. What is so significant about that point in time during this season?

Back when then Reds manager Tony Perez was unceremoniously dumped by Jim Bowden -- the club had just finished 44 games into the season. At that time, the criticism leveled at Bowden was that perez was not given a fair shot -- by being dismissed so early into the year.

Now, at that exact same point in time -- Jerry Narron's future is one of the club's most fervent topics of discussion.

The fact that the club has crossed this "milestone" might mean that Krivsky and Castellini were getting closer to realistically reassessing Narron's future.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

Thought it had to do with a certain hitting streak that is getting approached. Man Im gonna miss the game threads.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

I'd argue that a fundamental difference exists between Tony Perez and Jerry Narron. At the time that he was fired, Perez had only managed those 44 games. Narron, on the other hand, has a larger body work to draw conclusions from. He has managed 595 games, 551 more than Perez. Thats gotta be a large enough sample to draw solid inferences from regarding his managerial abilities and tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I'd argue that a fundamental difference exists between Tony Perez and Jerry Narron. At the time that he was fired, Perez had only managed those 44 games. Narron, on the other hand, has a larger body work to draw conclusions from. He has managed 595 games, 551 more than Perez. Thats gotta be a large enough sample to draw solid inferences from regarding his managerial abilities and tendencies.
    Good point

And in those 595 games, he's had exactly zero winning seasons. I've stated this in other threads, though, it's not time to fire Narron. We'd only be setting ourselves up for 2 and half years of Bucky Dent. I don't think anyone honestly wants that.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

If the Reds don't do some damage during this home-stand, then I believe Narron is toast.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

Turn Off Ads?