Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye REDSZONE

Re: Goodbye REDSZONE

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Why, yes, since you asked kindly...

The decision to only have the game thread in the ORG forum was made for a few reasons. First and foremost, as has been mentioned, GIK and I want The Old Red Guard forum to represent RedsZone. Also, as paint mentioned somewhere else, the game thread is an incentive for those currently without ORG access to take the necessary steps to gain it.

Secondly, the quality of the game threads had deteriorated to that point that a few of us almost felt embarassed to have them on the site in their current state. I've never been much to follow the game via the game threads, but I respect those that choose to do so. However, when I did attempt to read it, the vast majority of the posts were knee-jerk reactions based on what just happened in the game. 'Oh man, we really suck', 'I hate this team', 'I've given up on these bums' to the complete other end of the specturm when the Reds play well (very rarely as of late ). I'm all for having passionate fans post here, and I certainly understand that the game threads lend themselves to discussion that isn't what we're striving for overall, but those type of comments aren't what I like to see when I do read the game threads. The sky isn't falling when they lose, nor should anyone be printing World Series tickets when they win, but it's hard to tell that from sampling a game thread.

Thirdly and also very importantly, in their current format, the game threads were extremely time-consuming to moderate. You have thousands upon thousands of posts that are continuously being posted in real time. No matter how many moderates we add, based on the fact that our moderators voluntarily do this thankless job out of the goodness of their hearts, I can't reasonably expect them to read every single post in every single game thread, nor would I ever ask them to do so. However, it got to the point where you felt that was necessary, be it the types of posts I mentioned above or the inevitable bickering that went on in these threads.

By reducing the number of posters that have access to these, and therefore the overall noise, that's absolutely not to say that the only problematic people in the game threads were Reds Live / Sun Deck users. There are a number of users I can think of off the top of my head that regularly posted in the game threads without problems, just as there are some current ORG users that were (or are) part of the problem with the threads. That being the case, primarily for the first and third reaons I mentioned, the decision was made to restrict the game threads to those with Old Red Guard posting access. I know many are reluctant to give it a chance, but honestly, I don't see why chat couldn't serve much of the same purpose as the game threads with the exception that it wouldn't be archived (though I don't see that as a major deal, given the the game threads occur while the game is happening). Hope this helps...

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll just look for another forum where I can join in on a game thread. I might still check in from time to time, but it's a little ridiculous saying that unless you're a popular person here, you can't post an observation during the game. I have a feeling there's going to be many more new threads in the Sun Deck that are simple observations that people make during the game that would normally go in a game thread. Goodbye Redszone, hello Reds Insider.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll just look for another forum where I can join in on a game thread. I might still check in from time to time, but it's a little ridiculous saying that unless you're a popular person here, you can't post an observation during the game. I have a feeling there's going to be many more new threads in the Sun Deck that are simple observations that people make during the game that would normally go in a game thread. Goodbye Redszone, hello Reds Insider.
    I like game threads as much as the next guy, but I understand that the majority of the posts on a game thread are talking for the sake of hearing yourself talk. The threads move so fast that observations get passed over because the play has moved on and most discussions are short and abbreviated. This is especially true when you get game threads that range into the 1,000 post area.

If you're really interested in discussing observations, post-game discussion threads are much more beneficial, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    For what its worth, I enjoy chat better than the game threads anyway. Less rules, more flowing conversation and no hitting F5 every 10 seconds.
    Not me... too chaotic and hard to follow. You need to be chatting every minute to keep up with the dialog... and then you miss the game.

If you're really interested in discussing observations, post-game discussion threads are much more beneficial, IMO
    Then why is the Game Thread designed as a desired nugget for ORG?
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 05-23-2007 at 11:11 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Not me... too chaotic and hard to follow. You need to be chatting every minute to keep up with the dialog... and then you miss the game.
    Are we talking about chat or the game threads here?

(I'm only half-kidding)

If you invite people into your home for a party for music lovers. Then invite people at the party who have proved a great knowledge about music to see your cool CD collection, but then you figure out that you don't like everyone around your cool CD collection so you tell everyone but your close friend to go back and listen to your old records.

That is completely understandable, just don't expect me to hang around long when you and your friends sit around and talk music and I'm not allowed to say anything unless i'm down stairs talking to other people who are not your friends.

Its cool, i been to places like that, I just don't hang around very long.

Are we talking about chat or the game threads here?

(I'm only half-kidding)
    Both. I was just giving my opinion on chat... I used to join in a lot until I realized I was spending more time trying to keep up with the chat than I was actually watching the game. I never go in anymore. Don't usually go into the GT very much either, though I did tonight.

I wasn't complaining about the GT, just commenting on CE stating he likes post game thread discussion better than the thread itself, and yet someone else was saying the GT was an incentive to strive to be accepted into ORG. Just seemed like a contradiction to me.

Not trying to cause trouble; just trying to get it straight.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Both. I was just giving my opinion on chat... I used to join in a lot until I realized I was spending more time trying to keep up with the chat than I was actually watching the game. I never go in anymore. Don't usually go into the GT very much either, though I did tonight.

I wasn't complaining about the GT, just commenting on CE stating he likes post game thread discussion better than the thread itself, and yet someone else was saying the GT was an incentive to strive to be accepted into ORG. Just seemed like a contradiction to me.

Not trying to cause trouble; just trying to get it straight.
    Oh I know, I just felt the way you characterized chat could very well be applied to the game threads, as well.

Oh I know, I just felt the way you characterized chat could very well be applied to the game threads, as well.
    Believe me... it can. But at least you can ignore the game thread during the game action and catch up during the commercials!!

BTW, thanks for the info regarding PMs. I use the "back" button all the time so that has to be it.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 05-23-2007 at 11:29 PM.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Isn't that exactly what Amanda said to you on your honeymoon?
    Burn!

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Are people leaving because thay feel like their being excluded from the cool table? Who said folks in ORG were cool to begin with?

But seriouly folks, I don't begrudge a single person on this board, but if people want to throw tantrums and threaten to leave, I probably won't miss them. Just My honest opinion.
    Witty signature.

this thread is absolutely hillarious...it's almost as good as the original "about 10 of you..." thread from back in the day.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny
    But seriouly folks, I don't begrudge a single person on this board, but if people want to throw tantrums and threaten to leave, I probably won't miss them. Just My honest opinion.
    Generally speaking, that's how I feel, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bthomasiscool View Post
    First off I have donated money for Redszone. So yes, I do believe I can state my opinion. Two, you have 26,000 posts. Get a life. According to you, since I have paid before I guess I can dictate something. I was talking to people with 5,000 or less posts, or ones who are willing to simply converse and not try to be the redszone bad-ass and calls others out.

Hey, look at that! A personal attack!

I'm sorry that you.... no, wait a minute, I'm not sorry at all. My daughter got over the fact that there really isn't a Santa Claus better than some of you people are dealing with the fact that a portion of this site - and not the largest one, or the most active - has been closed off to you.

And you wonder why you weren't invited into the new forum. Are you really that delusional? It's likely the only person on these forums who enjoys all of this wailing and gnashing of teeth is me, because I am a cruel and heartless cad who takes pleasure in the misery of others.

Anyway, bthomasiscool has been banned. Not because he had the temerity to complain - believe it or not, we do want to make this site as enjoyable as possible for everyone, and take complaints seriously - but because he decided to start whipping out the insults. You (the 'global' you; I speak not to one in particular but rather to the site as a whole) can behave yourselves and act like adults or, like children, you can be sent to the corner.

Like bthomasiscool. He won't have to concern himself otver whether or not he leaves RedsZone, because he doesn't have a choice in the matter anymore. The rest of you do. And we really would like it if you choose to stay, but we won't bend over backward to make it happen.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I think many of you are missing the point. This is not a tantrum or acting like a child. Many of us are frustrated because we feel like we were already told once that we had to prove ourselves to the group that has been here forever. We did that. I had not just the 200 rep points required for ORG but over 300 points and trust me I know there was people with more than that who did not make the cut.

Then as soon as we voice our displeasure with things we get mocked by those who made it. Of course your not going to understand why we are mad. As a Reds fan who loves talking Reds baseball I love Redszone. Its been my homepage for almost 2 years. I just wonder how many times I will have to keep "proving myself" to people I dont even know. Are we going to go through this everytime the group gets too big? If thats the case why even allow new people in the ORG? Eventually too many people will make it through and we will be doing this all over again.

One quick note my post is not to defend post made by people like bthomasiscool who have made personal attacks. Its more for those of us who are upset but trying to go about it with some maturity.

Turn Off Ads?