Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 5/21/07 Minors Updates

Re: 5/21/07 Minors Updates

Votto was trying to prove he wasnt a fluke? The only thing that looked 'fluky' in Vottos career was a real bad 2005....
    He wasn't a fluke, and teaming him up with Dorn under the same umbrella was misleading, but I'm just saying a lot of the "prospect guru's" seemed a little leery of placing Votto too high on prospect lists because of how much he improved from '05.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Was at the Louisville game night.... Edwin Encarnacion absolutely crushed his homerun. It cleared the outfield wall by at least 20-25 feet over the left field picnic area in Cooper Stadium (LF dimensions line 355 Left center 385).

Votto: Showed great opposite field power on the homerun to Left.. hopefully there will be some buyers for Sceff Coberg soon...not that that duo hasnt done a solid job this year. Votto is just the real deal)

Shearn: Not too sure about this guy... good breaking ball that had a lot of hitters fooled but just couldnt get it over with great consistency.. a solid game but he's likely just a prototypical AAAA pitcher

Kershner- meh but i was pulling that the semi meltdown would make the game close enough that i would get to see McBeth pitch..nevertheless Stone (meh) got the save. Guess they are easing McBeth back into work since its been a week or so since hes seen game action.
    Last edited by larks; 05-21-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Carson Kainer tripled and finished 3-for-5 with a homerun, triple, and single. Bruce was 0-for-3 with two walks. Sarasota won 11-3.
    I'm not sure if he can sustain this early success, but it's crazy to think about what Kainer has done his first 2 games (5 hits including a triple and a HR) compared to the other 2006 draftees. While Carson was rehabbing his new kidney last year, the rest of the draftees were tearing up the Pioneer League. Now, most of them are doing pretty well in low-A Dayton. But Dorn, who was the Pioneer League's best hitter last year, stumbled out of the gate at high-A Sarasota while Kainer comes in for his 1st taste of pro ball and dominates in his 1st 2 games. If guys like Kainer and Zach Ward can come in and dominate A-ball the year after they are drafted, this raises the question of how important rookie ball is for college draftees. Like I said, he'll probably slow down a little, but it's a great story so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Redleg View Post
    I'm not sure if he can sustain this early success, but it's crazy to think about what Kainer has done his first 2 games (5 hits including a triple and a HR) compared to the other 2006 draftees. While Carson was rehabbing his new kidney last year, the rest of the draftees were tearing up the Pioneer League. Now, most of them are doing pretty well in low-A Dayton. But Dorn, who was the Pioneer League's best hitter last year, stumbled out of the gate at high-A Sarasota while Kainer comes in for his 1st taste of pro ball and dominates in his 1st 2 games. If guys like Kainer and Zach Ward can come in and dominate A-ball the year after they are drafted, this raises the question of how important rookie ball is for college draftees. Like I said, he'll probably slow down a little, but it's a great story so far.
    You are probably right about Carson. I highly doubt he can sustain his .555 batting average the entire season lol. The Reds are very notorious for keeping guys in rookie ball for most/all of the season they were drafted when most other teams don't do that with college kids.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You are probably right about Carson. I highly doubt he can sustain his .555 batting average the entire season lol. The Reds are very notorious for keeping guys in rookie ball for most/all of the season they were drafted when most other teams don't do that with college kids.
    I hate rookie ball after one month. I'm all about letting them taste Low A after a great start. Guys like Stubbs, Valaika, Dorn, Loo (if he was healthy) would have all been in Low A last year for me (don't ask what would have happened to the Dayton players). Even though Stubbs wasn't that good, he was one of the best college "athletes/hitters."

Thanks to REDS44 for your updates and to all who contributed so I could read this at my leisure and learn more about the REDS' minor league teams.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I attended the game last night ( dime a dog night actually ). My observations were that Votto is a stud.. he hit that HR backside and it really didnt even look like he swung hard or got all of it. He also lined a ball into right center that looked like he barely swung the bat (breaking ball), so he looks good to me.

Shearn looked pretty good too.. He only gave up two runs, not 3 as previously stated. Also Edwin did an o-lay play at a hard hit ball to him at 3rd that he should have had to end the inning. I believe the radar gun was off still cause it was saying Shearn was hitting around 89-90 when it looked to be faster than that.

I am no scout but I just dont understand why you have these talented young guys in your pitching stable and you still have 40 somethings Weathers and Stanton pitching every night.. why not see what these guys like Shearn and others can do?

Tom, I think it's because it's always a huge jump to go from one level to the next. If a guy dominates at one level, he could easily be dominated at the next.

What's shown to work is when a guy is given a length of time at one level in order to gain consistency at that level. His chances of "not flopping" at the next are greatly increased.

That is what you're hoping for...is that the player doesn't "flop". If a guy does flop, he gets all messed up, then he needs to be sent back down, and it's a two-step back scenario.

You're always trying to avoid the two-step back scenario. It's better to take baby steps, then rush somebody.

The Managers and coaches that advise on promotions have all gone through it themselves and are advising from first-hand experience. They all know that you can't rush anybody. G. M.'s on the other hand tend to be the ones, who rush players too soon, and they are usually to blame for ruining players through the eagerness to put a winner on the field (they usually have fans yelling at them to bring so-and-so up).
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?